GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 07:03 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

1st oil change out of the way, thanks for the DIY!
Old 05-23-21, 04:58 PM
FD143
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
mine was repainted by lexus, now i have fluid film all over the rear axle.

why anyone would go thru this much trouble to save $70 bucks beats me. there is no way to document the oil change also when you run into trouble down the road, so count on Lexus putting up a fight if you have a warranty claim.

when powertrain warranty runs out, thats when I decide to start doing the oil changes myself.

good write up though. not worth it to me to risk the warranty on something so silly as an oil change.
As long as you keep you receipts for the oil & filter purchase there is nothing Lexus can say!!!
Old 05-26-21, 08:33 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GXLEXD
For those of you using Rhino Ramps for oil changes, do you use 2 or 4 ramps? Would the incline caused by using only 2 ramps up front on the GX adversely effect the oil draining in your opinion?
months later reply

I use only two ramps. Never had an issue.
Old 05-26-21, 08:35 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FD143
As long as you keep you receipts for the oil & filter purchase there is nothing Lexus can say!!!
Exactly.

Plus I want to say the savings is a lot higher, too. Last quote I got was a hundred bucks, and that was few years ago.
Old 05-26-21, 11:24 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Lexus master tech on GXOR reports that 040 will work for metal oil filter cap mod as well. This removes the need for 050 but it is about twice the price. No need to swap internal piece from your old cap with 040 option.

Oil Filter Metal Cap Retrofit]
PN: 15643-31050 / End Cap Plug
PN: 15620-31060 / Cap Housing
PN:
15620-31040 / Cap Housing without end cap plug
Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
I got mine on amazon as part of a "kit". It looks like you'll need to buy them separately now. Third party sellers on Amazon have them listed.

I have a 2010 GX 460. So if I go with 15620-31040 (Aluminum Cap Housing without end cap plug), I will need a different oil filter than the OEM one and need to remember this for each oil change?
Old 05-27-21, 06:36 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

04152-YZZA3 will be fine

04152-YZZA5 also includes that extra plastic spout that isn't used and also the o-ring for the metal end-cap

If you go with ---> PN: 15620-31040 / Cap Housing without end cap plug
you further wouldn't need A5's end-cap o-ring. A5 extra items pictured here

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
Nytron (05-27-21), Philly01 (05-14-24)
Old 05-27-21, 08:57 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Is there any need to replace the o-ring for the metal end cap at each oil change or every other change? Is this necessary if the end cap is never removed?
Old 05-27-21, 09:04 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

One thing I noticed is the oil came out of the pan in such a way that it hit the drain pan and SPRAYED up and made a huge mess! Making me think a Fumoto valve is in my future for this truck, it's the wife's ride and won't be off-road ever until she's done with it, so zero concerns about snagging the valve on something.
Old 05-27-21, 09:26 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
Is there any need to replace the o-ring for the metal end cap at each oil change or every other change? Is this necessary if the end cap is never removed?
It would probably last a "long" time without being replaced. I have usually replaced every other oil change just because I have a lot of these filters to go through.

Old 05-27-21, 09:50 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

O-Ring will last forever if undisturbed ... so no need to change.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Acrad (05-27-21), GXLEXD (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 01:50 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
One thing I noticed is the oil came out of the pan in such a way that it hit the drain pan and SPRAYED up and made a huge mess! Making me think a Fumoto valve is in my future for this truck, it's the wife's ride and won't be off-road ever until she's done with it, so zero concerns about snagging the valve on something.
I'm guessing your oil was fairly warm at the time? I've noticed it splashes when hot, but not much when cold.
Old 05-27-21, 02:24 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

For the Love of God ... it's oil ... changing the oil can be messy ... no one is going to die ... that's what rags are for ... maximum flow rate when dumping the oil is a good thing ... purges the maximum amount of particles in suspension. Classic Mercedes had a 1.25" oil drain plug ... with 9-quarts blasting out in 5-seconds once the plug was removed ... now that's an oil change. If one is too dainty ... and worries about any amount of mess, then I suggest you leave this to someone who can deal with the reality. Sorry, but the **** Fumoto motivation is truly ridiculous.
Old 05-27-21, 04:00 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad
04152-YZZA3 will be fine

04152-YZZA5 also includes that extra plastic spout that isn't used and also the o-ring for the metal end-cap

If you go with ---> PN: 15620-31040 / Cap Housing without end cap plug
you further wouldn't need A5's end-cap o-ring. A5 extra items pictured here
Thanks, good to know. In my case I'm going with Wix 57173 which replaces OE, so I should be fine then.
Old 05-27-21, 04:06 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Originally Posted by ASE
For the Love of God ... it's oil ... changing the oil can be messy ... no one is going to die ... that's what rags are for ... maximum flow rate when dumping the oil is a good thing ... purges the maximum amount of particles in suspension. Classic Mercedes had a 1.25" oil drain plug ... with 9-quarts blasting out in 5-seconds once the plug was removed ... now that's an oil change. If one is too dainty ... and worries about any amount of mess, then I suggest you leave this to someone who can deal with the reality. Sorry, but the **** Fumoto motivation is truly ridiculous.
The new Fumoto F133 series flows 60% more than the F103 series: https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-picku...-gx460-4-6l-v8

Seems too useful not to have. Why play the game where you try to guess if you're on the last thread and then hopefully hang on to the drain plug in the moment you back off the last thread while simultaneously not making a mess with hot oil.

Without the Fumoto valve, you need OEM engine oil drain plug gaskets. Unless you buy a bunch at once and remember where you put them in perpetuity, the gas money required to drive to a Toyota or Lexus dealer to get the engine oil drain plug gaskets probably exceeds the price of a Fumoto valve.

The issue is Toyota has complicated something as simple as an oil change by:
  • Using an oil filter housing in the first place (versus traditional all in one oil filter). Although this is probably eco-friendly, so I'm for it.
  • Using a plastic oil housing that is easy to overtighten. Heat can cause it to become stuck and then removing it can crack it.
  • In the case of Lexus models like the GX, they oriented the oil housing the wrong way.
  • No skid plate access doors.
Fumoto users want to simplify their oil changes a bit.

Last edited by Nytron; 05-27-21 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-27-21, 05:24 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
I'm guessing your oil was fairly warm at the time? I've noticed it splashes when hot, but not much when cold.
Yes, I drove it to get the oil warm and the sediment stirred up before dropping the oil, it came gushing out like it was under pressure! The oil was hitting the bottom of the pan and splashing right back out, it wasn't a small mess, it was ridiculous. When half my arm is covered in splashed oil from trying to move the pan to a position where it wouldn't splash, I'm gonna try and find a better way for next time. I've been using this drain pan for years, it's only ever been an issue on my wife's Legacy, the only vehicle I've used a Fumoto valve on previously.

Originally Posted by ASE
Sorry to get you all worked up.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion