GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 05:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I use the Fumoto's for convenience & time savings. I'm often servicing a lot of gear at the same time like multiple vehicles, powersports equipment and lawn equipment. It does take longer to drain but this hasn't been a big deal while working on the other vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Nytron (05-27-21)
Old 05-27-21, 05:52 PM
Nytron
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Yes, I drove it to get the oil warm and the sediment stirred up before dropping the oil, it came gushing out like it was under pressure! The oil was hitting the bottom of the pan and splashing right back out, it wasn't a small mess, it was ridiculous. When half my arm is covered in splashed oil from trying to move the pan to a position where it wouldn't splash, I'm gonna try and find a better way for next time. I've been using this drain pan for years, it's only ever been an issue on my wife's Legacy, the only vehicle I've used a Fumoto valve on previously.
Did you partially remove your dipstick and oil filler cap before removing the drain plug?

TBH, not actually sure if either of those things would increase or decrease pressure, might depend. Just got my GX a week ago and am about to do an oil change soon...Regarding those two questions I posed above, I'm gonna do the opposite of whatever you did, lol.

Also going to use a shoulder length field dressing glove used for hunting to prevent getting my arm full of oil, lol.
Old 05-28-21, 05:08 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks to all who contributed with a wealth of info. I added a F133 w/ long nipple at the first oil change for my '21.
Old 05-28-21, 06:44 AM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Yes, I drove it to get the oil warm and the sediment stirred up before dropping the oil, it came gushing out like it was under pressure! The oil was hitting the bottom of the pan and splashing right back out, it wasn't a small mess, it was ridiculous. When half my arm is covered in splashed oil from trying to move the pan to a position where it wouldn't splash, I'm gonna try and find a better way for next time. I've been using this drain pan for years, it's only ever been an issue on my wife's Legacy, the only vehicle I've used a Fumoto valve on previously.
Shouldn't be "sediment" in there if your filter is doing it's job, unless your motor is shedding metal and about to cash it in anyway.

0W20 is thin enough to drain nicely and reasonably completely even when cold IMO.
Old 05-28-21, 09:04 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Nytron
Did you partially remove your dipstick and oil filler cap before removing the drain plug?

TBH, not actually sure if either of those things would increase or decrease pressure, might depend. Just got my GX a week ago and am about to do an oil change soon...Regarding those two questions I posed above, I'm gonna do the opposite of whatever you did, lol.

Also going to use a shoulder length field dressing glove used for hunting to prevent getting my arm full of oil, lol.
I don't think I loosed the oil fill cap or pulled up the dipstick prior to removing the drain plug, although both these actions would eliminate any vacuum that would slow the oil's evacuation... I think it's just that 0w20 oil is so thin when hot it just flows FAST.

Originally Posted by BigSvensk
Shouldn't be "sediment" in there if your filter is doing it's job, unless your motor is shedding metal and about to cash it in anyway.

0W20 is thin enough to drain nicely and reasonably completely even when cold IMO.
1st oil change on a new to me vehicle, being done well before it should be due, as part of my baselining.

Drain plug was perfectly clean, but you don't know what you'll find in there until you pull the plug, so probably not necessary for next time.
Old 07-13-21, 04:46 AM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I have about 85K miles in my 2015 GX. We live in CT. I have been using Mobil 0W20 for past oil changes. I plan to switch to Mobil 5W30 (normal type, not high mileage one) going forward for all seasons, would there be any issue for the switch? We have some cold winters here, not too bad though. I care more about engine protection.

Thank you.
Old 07-13-21, 08:10 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by william489
I have about 85K miles in my 2015 GX. We live in CT. I have been using Mobil 0W20 for past oil changes. I plan to switch to Mobil 5W30 (normal type, not high mileage one) going forward for all seasons, would there be any issue for the switch? We have some cold winters here, not too bad though. I care more about engine protection.

Thank you.
Been using Mobil-1 10w-30 since new ... now using Mobil-1 5w-30 given the majority of retailers have shifted inventory to that now being more
mainstream. My winters may drop below freezing for 3-4 weeks, with summer temperatures being 75-95 degrees ... with the latter (more recently) becoming more prevalent.

To your question ... 5w is good for the majority of US winter conditions, and the 30 weight providing improved protection as summer temperatures continue to trend higher in many areas. I use the "Extended Performance" given the sale price is only $5.00 more when purchasing the 5-Quart jug. I still change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles ... 2-times per year based on annual mileage.

Last edited by ASE; 07-13-21 at 01:28 PM.
william489 (07-13-21)
Old 07-14-21, 11:11 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Megamorph
So, 5W-30 is the best oil for the engine? Does it differ in hot climates like Texas or Arizona?
While I was in Colorado, 0W-20 was fine.. Here in Texas ( DFW ) I'll be using 5W-30 Mobil1 EP.

Oil / Filter change interval for me 7000 miles.
ASE (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 11:27 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by william489

Thank you.
no there is no issue running 30 weight. I plan on running 10W-30 from here on out. Ive only done 2 oil changes on mine so far an the first was Supertech 0W-20 the second was Mobil1 EP 10W-30 that i scored with a mail in rebate for like $15 per 5 quart jug. Ill just keep using 10W-30.
ASE (07-14-21)
Old 09-19-21, 07:44 AM
nzvlnr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, I am changing over to the metal canister oil filter (doorman brand) do I need to change the oil filter? This is the one I ordered from amazon.

Lexus 04152-YZZA3, Engine Oil Filter

Old 09-19-21, 09:26 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

No, the old one fits as it did with the plastic one.

apparently not, see image below:

Last edited by WRD4chano; 09-19-21 at 01:01 PM.
nzvlnr (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 04:11 PM
SamLexRXGX
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
No, the old one fits as it did with the plastic one.

apparently not, see image below:

Both the filters are one and the same but they are being called different numbers, just like the air filter. only thing need to be changed is if the internal filter cylinder length is shorter than the plastic one, better to replace with the longer one from the plastic/original filter housing.
Old 09-20-21, 06:56 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 757 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by nzvlnr
Hello, I am changing over to the metal canister oil filter (doorman brand) do I need to change the oil filter? This is the one I ordered from amazon.

Lexus 04152-YZZA3, Engine Oil Filter

Dorman brand? Please don't use that and get an OEM one instead. Dorman is probably the worst aftermarket parts company and their products are no good.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
NewB2Lexus (09-21-21), skeegs (09-20-21)
Old 09-21-21, 08:26 AM
nzvlnr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sending back the Doorman oil canister and the OEM coming tomorrow.....I did not see it before on Amazon...all good now
Romanova (09-21-21)
Old 11-03-21, 06:36 PM
dvs73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter Housing

Went to do an oil change on the GX today using the proper metal filter removal tool and couldn't get the thing to budge. Last oil change was performed by the dealer under CPO agreement. After a hard struggle and many, many attempts, one of the fins on the housing snapped off. I was really putting some torque behind that pry bar, way more than i should have needed too. After the shock and panic subsided i called my local Dealership to get a new one ordered and couldn't help notice all the hits on aluminum units for the GX. Is this something to invest in since i will be doing the changes myself from here on? Other then the dealer over torqueing the housing is there a issue with the plastic OEM part?

Yes, I know I should have stopped at some point and taken to dealer to deal with. Not discussing that bit of impatience on my part.
Nor am I going to discuss how much "money do I really save by doing it myself"!

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion