GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 07:57 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
haha, motor oil is a never ending debate, just like gas octane. It's not a mystery oil, plenty of info online about who makes it and how well it performs. Regular changes are the key to longevity, not an expensive name brand, but that's just my opinion.....
It's funny I was typing my response and I also used the octane debate for an analogy. Haha. Frequency is key, but what happens when you pit the "expensive name brand" against Kirkland and do the same oil change frequency for both? To me, that's where the difference is. I think that's what ASE is also getting at when he mentioned additives. I'm sure he meant engine oil technology advancements. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, @ASE, I'm not trying to speak for you.)

By the way, as someone who pays Amsoil for membership (Amsoil does not pay me anything to say any of this, I'm not their shill), I pay $76 for 12 quarts (OE, not signature since my '22 GX has less than 7k miles). It's $108 for 12 quarts without the membership discount. My friend who also drives a GX 460 switched to Amsoil since $36 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 from AutoZone ($72 for 10 quarts) cost him more than Amsoil with my membership. Yes, it's double the cost of a Kirkland brand, but we're talking about Kirkland vs. Amsoil here. Haha.

Last edited by Seanzky; 04-07-22 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 09:11 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzky
It's funny I was typing my response and I also used the octane debate for an analogy. Haha. Frequency is key, but what happens when you pit the "expensive name brand" against Kirkland and do the same oil change frequency for both? To me, that's where the difference is. I think that's what ASE is also getting at when he mentioned additives. I'm sure he meant engine oil technology advancements. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, @ASE, I'm not trying to speak for you.)

By the way, as someone who pays Amsoil for membership (Amsoil does not pay me anything to say any of this, I'm not their shill), I pay $76 for 12 quarts (OE, not signature since my '22 GX has less than 7k miles). It's $108 for 12 quarts without the membership discount. My friend who also drives a GX 460 switched to Amsoil since $36 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 from AutoZone ($72 for 10 quarts) cost him more than Amsoil with my membership. Yes, it's double the cost of a Kirkland brand, but we're talking about Kirkland vs. Amsoil here. Haha.
Yes to your question above. As you said, Mobil-1 Extended Performance at any Auto Parts retailer is in the $38 range for the 5-Quart Jug. WalMart always has the exact same for $25 as their regular (non-sale) price.

My point is that "Kirkland Brand" is no different than any other private label product. Costco is not in the business of refining oil products ... so they purchase from (different) suppliers based on cost ... so what is in the bottle today may not be the same as what is in the bottle tomorrow ... all an outsource profit margin game. One can argue, no matter ... "it meets all applicable certification standards" ... but why go there, the savings is a rounding error in the scheme of consideration.

Last edited by ASE; 04-07-22 at 09:21 AM.
Seanzky (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 05:25 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

It's like the 1uz in my LS, these engines will practically run to 300k miles on vegetable oil. Lol.

I plan to change the oil in the 2019 I just picked up every ~7k (5k when I tow) with whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. I'd be worried about the whole Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 vs. Costco vs. whatever other brand in a BMW or something. Not on a Toyota V8 haha
Old 04-07-22, 05:35 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Peacebay
It's like the 1uz in my LS, these engines will practically run to 300k miles on vegetable oil. Lol.

I plan to change the oil in the 2019 I just picked up every ~7k (5k when I tow) with whatever synthetic is on sale at the time. I'd be worried about the whole Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 vs. Costco vs. whatever other brand in a BMW or something. Not on a Toyota V8 haha
So being a Mercedes Master Mechanic ... I find this logic anything but logic ... "so since the brand is so reliable, let's not maintain the vehicle to the best of our ability ... and assume it will last forever since it is in its DNA to last forever". I have seen SO MANY early Mercedes ... built like a tank ... that could easily run 500,000 miles ... that were completely destroyed by this logic. Simple maintenance, and using the best products available is not that much of a commitment when one spends $60,000+ on a vehicle. I just do not understand ... unless one is a "car flipper" who just passes on their lack of interest (and penny pinching) to the next owner.

Last edited by ASE; 04-07-22 at 05:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
IanG (04-07-22), Seanzky (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 05:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

If price was the same... I'd still pick up at Costco but due to the 2% on my executive membership
Old 04-07-22, 06:46 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
So being a Mercedes Master Mechanic ... I find this logic anything but logic ... "so since the brand is so reliable, let's not maintain the vehicle to the best of our ability ... and assume it will last forever since it is in its DNA to last forever". I have seen SO MANY early Mercedes ... built like a tank ... that could easily run 500,000 miles ... that were completely destroyed by this logic. Simple maintenance, and using the best products available is not that much of a commitment when one spends $60,000+ on a vehicle. I just do not understand ... unless one is a "car flipper" who just passes on their lack of interest (and penny pinching) to the next owner.
I wouldn’t say its lack of interest or penny pinching, I’m super **** about all my cars. My point being, you will not see one of these engines fail due to the fact that someone changed the oil every 5k miles with Amsoil or with Costco synthetic. The trans will go, or the frame will rot out, or it’ll be totalled, or whatever, before a properly-maintained 5k mile OCI interval Toyota V8 encounters bad enough lubrication issues to destroy it. Let alone the brand of oil used in those intervals.

I guess I just respectfully disagree, but I can see your point too. Now I need to figure out why I joined in on an oil debate. Haha
xychromo (04-07-22)
Old 04-11-22, 12:58 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, so gave up trying to find Mobil 1 0w-20 or 5w-20 EP anywhere in the DFW area ( unless I wanted to pay $40+ tax per 5qt jug! ) ..

Went with this :
Amazon Amazon

Still Mobil 1 0w-20 Full Synthetic ( except, it's not EP.. which I believe is okay since I always change my oil 7k miles max even using EP.. probably go 6k with this )
Old 04-11-22, 01:00 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh, and I got it for $48 ( TWO 5QT jugs including tax - curbside pickup ) from Wally World using pickup coupon TRIPLE10 ( new accounts only )
Old 04-11-22, 02:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

I use 5w-30 Mobil-1 Extended Performance. Unless living in a polar climate, 0w-20 is too thin IMHO.
Old 04-22-22, 06:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts
Default 2020GX oil change

I got this vehicle new, April 2020. Right as COVID was starting. Needless to say, it has pretty much sat in the garage for 2 years. I just crossed 4,000 miles (no joke). Obviously it's not telling me to service the engine or whatever. My question is, do I need to change the oil at this point, or continue on until 10k? Seems like even with low mileage it's past the "or 1 year" mark. Any advice? TIA.
Old 04-22-22, 07:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Very short driving cycles < 5 miles are actually hard on systems because they
never fully warm up. The acids from combustion that form during the incomplete
burning when the engine is cold collect in the oil. When fully warmed up they can
boil out. Exhaust systems are also victim to short trips. In cold weather you can
easily tell when a car is newly started because the exhaust is steamy and white
(harmless) smoke is trailing behind. If you shut off the car before the entire exhaust
system warms up the condensation from that steam settles inside the pipes and
muffler. So, we should be following the minimum time standard rather than miles
for our maintenance intervals. BTW, Lexus warrantee pays for the first two visits
but only within 6 months of the prescribed interval. The first complimentary visit
was primarily the tire rotation and various fluid level and pressure checks. The second
visit scheduled for 1 year or 10K miles includes the synthetic oil change and another
tire rotation. The 6 month grace period for your 1 year has passed and Lexus will not
reimburse your dealer for the work. Some but not all stores will eat it but you are certainly
not the only one and the expenses add up, don't be surprised if you end up paying for it.
jtrue28 (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 07:05 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

I had my oil changed at 500 miles (800 km). My thinking is that the first oil change is one of the most important to flush out any machining particles and initial wear as the rings and component seat. Oil changes are cheap and great preventative maintenance to help engine longevity
The following 2 users liked this post by IanG:
ASE (04-22-22), IanB2 (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 07:20 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

That's interesting. My wife, who also got her RX in April 2020 just had her 10k mile service on Tuesday. No charge. However, they raped us on the driver's side mirror replacement (because she broke it backing out of the garage). $1,750 to be exact.

I'll call the dealer and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the information!
Old 04-22-22, 08:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Independent of mileage, oil does oxidize over time ... and also as mcomer stated, low annual mileage suggests short-trip driving ... either of which is why most manufacturers oil change interval (beyond stating miles) add "or every 12-months"

I also change a brand new engine's oil at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles for the reasons IanG stated.

Last edited by ASE; 04-22-22 at 06:02 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ASE:
IanG (04-22-22), jtrue28 (04-22-22), lji (05-12-24)
Old 04-23-22, 07:20 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Independent of mileage, oil does oxidize over time ... and also as mcomer stated, low annual mileage suggests short-trip driving ... either of which is why most manufacturers oil change interval (beyond stating miles) add "or every 12-months"

I also change a brand new engine's oil at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles for the reasons IanG stated.
This. Or at minimum, go for a long, hot drive a couple times a year and get that engine as warm as you possibly can.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion