GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 03:01 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
These are the 2 part numbers (canister and the plug)
15620-31060 15643-31050

BTW... on my GXs and 4Rs I did the same and ordered from this same seller on eBay that uses OEM parts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225168744898

You will need to swap the metal tube from you existing plastic canister over to the metal canister. Your metal tube is longer than the one shipped with the metal canister. The metal tube is held in place by two small metal tabs. Get a skinny screw driver and pry them up and you will be able to twist the tube out. I use the same spring that was in the original plastic canister.
No matter how reputable they are, often the sellers themselves don't know if what the are selling the real thing or counterfit parts. They are so intricate and it's very difficult to tell. So I buy my parts directly from the Dealer. Including oil filters, air filters, etc.., Sad world we live in.

The following users liked this post:
ASE (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 04:18 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

I NEVER EVER buy parts on e-Bay ... why take the counterfeit chance ... same goes for Amazon ...
asong1 (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 02:10 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
I NEVER EVER buy parts on e-Bay ... why take the counterfeit chance ... same goes for Amazon ...
Kindred spirits. Knowing what I know now about how important oil filters are, and counterfeits can potentially ruin your motor... Yeah, will NEVER take this chance.
Old 01-04-24, 06:21 AM
308guru
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
This I was able to find at on Amazon. After I ordered this, the lady at the Totyota parts dept. gave me one as part of the oil filter element. For anyone else interested, it's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is not correct. The previous poster is missing the o-ring under the oil filter housing drain cap. The part you're referring and linking to is the drain plug washer.
asong1 (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 06:25 AM
308guru
Driver

What about the actual oil drain plug. Does the GX not use the crush washers like everything else? My filter didn't come with one. Instead the lady at the counter just gave me gaskets. Am I missing something here? I'm used to the old school brass crush washers, it seems GX uses a flat gasket unless I'm missing something..
The GX uses a flat washer for the oil drain plug. It's aluminum with a sort of blue "felt" on both sides. This is not included with a filter and needs to be purchased separately (9043012031).

pacnwatx (01-05-24)
Old 01-04-24, 06:27 AM
308guru
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad
This one doesn't require any retrofit

PN: 15620-31040 / Cap Housing without end cap plug
^^^^^
This
Old 01-04-24, 06:45 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 308guru
This is not correct. The previous poster is missing the o-ring under the oil filter housing drain cap. The part you're referring and linking to is the drain plug washer.
You’re right. figured it out. ill see if the dealer has this. the oil filter did not include this o ring. i guess it’s a GX thing? I’ll stop by the lexus dealer today and see what they have. Thanks!
Old 01-04-24, 06:50 AM
308guru
Driver

You’re right. figured it out. ill see if the dealer has this. the oil filter did not include this o ring. i guess it’s a GX thing? I’ll stop by the lexus dealer today and see what they have. Thanks!
No, it's not a GX thing, it's a Toyota thing. The Toyota/Lexus oil filter element comes with two o-rings in a bag; a large diameter one for the housing OD and a smaller diameter for the housing drain plug.

The oil pan gasket (not o-ring as you are referring to it as) is a separate item.
Old 01-04-24, 06:52 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 308guru
No, it's not a GX thing, it's a Toyota thing. The Toyota/Lexus oil filter element comes with two o-rings in a bag; a large diameter one for the housing OD and a smaller diameter for the housing drain plug.

The oil pan gasket (not o-ring as you are referring to it as) is a separate item.
that’s what i thought too. what i’m saying is that the gx oil filter i bought yesterday at the toyota dealer came with only 1 ‘large’ o ring. there plastic bag only contained 1 o ring and did not have the smaller one as i’ve seen with all the videos out there.
Old 01-04-24, 07:10 AM
308guru
Driver

that’s what i thought too. what i’m saying is that the gx oil filter i bought yesterday at the toyota dealer came with only 1 ‘large’ o ring. there plastic bag only contained 1 o ring and did not have the smaller one as i’ve seen with all the videos out there.
I see. When you buy a filter element, it should look like this:

asong1 (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 08:18 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Exactly. that little o ring was not in the bag. i bought this from the toyota dealer. i’m going to the Lexus dealer today to pick up the LC 500 filter. hopefully this filter will have one which i can put on the GX oil cap drain plug.
Old 01-04-24, 04:01 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Update. That little o ring accoring to Lexus is not offered as part of the filter, as there is no need for it accoding to Lexus parts dept. But I was able to find the part number, and they had 1 in stock. So I'm all good. Here is the strange part.. Why so many online resources show this o ring in the bag? Also, why are the online filter elements looks beige? My (both GX 460 & LC 500) are both orange and the element is very brittle. I wonder if the online filter change videos are using potentia counterfeit products?

I ask this because I asked the parts guy at Lexus. He tells me that he has never seen the GX 460 filter come with the smaller o-ring for the filter cap drain plug. Because GX doesn't have one. Which makes sense... So what are these online guys using then( filters ) which. I'm baffled..
Old 01-04-24, 04:18 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife's 2019 GX oil canister was plastic but had the screw adapter to drain the canister. My 2022 (and her current 2023) was plastic and no longer had the screw at the bottom. The 5th gen 4Runner uses the same canister/filter.

The amsoil filter for the GX and 4Runner are the same and comes with the o-rings (2 of them). I'm now using the OEM 4Runner filter since amsoil is crazy expensive now (over $35 and that's membership price) and that also comes with both o-rings.

It is true for your model year you do not need that small o-ring as the canister at least the 22-23 model years eliminated it. Prior years (I know for my 2019) had the screw and you needed both o-rings to do an oil change.
Old 01-04-24, 04:22 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bowhun2r
My wife's 2019 GX oil canister was plastic but had the screw adapter to drain the canister. My 2022 (and her current 2023) was plastic and no longer had the screw at the bottom. The 5th gen 4Runner uses the same canister/filter.

The amsoil filter for the GX and 4Runner are the same and comes with the o-rings (2 of them). I'm now using the OEM 4Runner filter since amsoil is crazy expensive now (over $35 and that's membership price) and that also comes with both o-rings.

It is true for your model year you do not need that small o-ring as the canister at least the 22-23 model years eliminated it. Prior years (I know for my 2019) had the screw and you needed both o-rings to do an oil change.
Thank you for that detailed explanation. So in that case, if you own a 2019 GX, then would you have a different filter SKU with the 2 o-rings inside? Since I'm retrofitting my plastic cap to the metal one, I guess I need to purchase a different part-numbered SKU? Or did Toyota / Lexus just completely eliminated this option for everyone?
Old 01-04-24, 04:29 PM
bowhun2r
Pit Crew

Received 154 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you for that detailed explanation. So in that case, if you own a 2019 GX, then would you have a different filter SKU with the 2 o-rings inside? Since I'm retrofitting my plastic cap to the metal one, I guess I need to purchase a different part-numbered SKU? Or did Toyota / Lexus just completely eliminated this option for everyone?
Good question. I've only used (up till this last oil change) Amsoil filters which always included both o-rings. The 2019 was traded in on the 2023 and I just did the oil canister swap with the first oil change right before Christmas with the Toyota OEM 4R filter. The Lexus dealer is not easy for me to get too while the Yota dealer is 10 minutes away. I get all my parts there for routine maintenance on the GX as a lot of parts/fluids are interchangeable between them.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion