GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 04:39 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Same here. Toyota dealer is right behind my neighborhood, but they told me the same story. The filter element for GX 460 does not have / come with the smller o-ring. So took a trip out of town to take care of some business and stopped by the Lexus dealer. Same story. I also have the LC 500. LC 500 filter doesn't have the smaller o ring either. Lexus parts guy doesn't know anything about it. After doing some more research on this today, I came across another video in Japanese on LC 500 oil change. In this video, the tech mentions that the filters sold domestically in Japan does include them, including the plastic drain tool in every filter box. I guess it's just a US thing... Toyota / Lexus decided to remove the filter cap drain option for the USA markets.

Old 01-04-24, 04:49 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Let's get serious people ... yes, the oil filter canister is VERTICAL on the FJ Cruiser ... but is HORIZONTAL on the GX-460 ... so the "drain" feature is totally worthless ... maybe 1/2 of the oil in the filter housing is drained ... so what's the point anyway. I order the filter without the drain plastic thing and save money ...

So ... if ordering the Metal Filter Housing ... yes, there is one from Toyota that DOES NOT have the Bottom Drain Plug ...

Last edited by ASE; 01-04-24 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 05:48 AM
asong1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad
This one doesn't require any retrofit

PN: 15620-31040 / Cap Housing without end cap plug
Got your post after I bought the other one. No big deal, it's an easy swap. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ASE (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 06:37 AM
308guru
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
So ... if ordering the Metal Filter Housing ... yes, there is one from Toyota that DOES NOT have the Bottom Drain Plug ...
What is the part number?
Old 01-05-24, 03:11 PM
asong1
Intermediate

Got mine sorted. But if you are looking for that 1 small o ring, this is it. since it's no longer included in US sold filters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333598000686

oil filter cap's drain plug - o ring part# 96723-35028

Legit online toyota dealer source: https://parts.longotoyota.com/oem-pa...ket-9672335028
Old 01-06-24, 06:06 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

some aftermarkets come with the oring and the drain tool. those just go straight to the trash anyways.
slow removal eliminates the flow going crazy. lets it start slowly then loosen more.
The following 2 users liked this post by John00:
ASE (01-07-24), asong1 (01-06-24)
Old 01-08-24, 03:25 AM
ukcats
Driver

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by asong1
Update. That little o ring accoring to Lexus is not offered as part of the filter, as there is no need for it accoding to Lexus parts dept. But I was able to find the part number, and they had 1 in stock. So I'm all good. Here is the strange part.. Why so many online resources show this o ring in the bag? Also, why are the online filter elements looks beige? My (both GX 460 & LC 500) are both orange and the element is very brittle. I wonder if the online filter change videos are using potentia counterfeit products?

I ask this because I asked the parts guy at Lexus. He tells me that he has never seen the GX 460 filter come with the smaller o-ring for the filter cap drain plug. Because GX doesn't have one. Which makes sense... So what are these online guys using then( filters ) which. I'm baffled..
The GX oil filter doesn’t have the small O-ring. Go to a Toyota parts department, and purchase the oil filter for a 2023 4Runner. It has both O-rings, and it’s the same filter. The gentleman a few post above posted a pic of the correct part number.

EDIT: See below.

Last edited by ukcats; 01-08-24 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Pic added
asong1 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 08:20 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I saw on a Tacoma forum where some people were saying they switched to metal ones and they switched back to the factory plastic because the metal ones developed some oil leaks. Anyone else have that issue with the GX?

Old 01-08-24, 08:24 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 197 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I saw on a Tacoma forum where some people were saying they switched to metal ones and they switched back to the factory plastic because the metal ones developed some oil leaks. Anyone else have that issue with the GX?
No leaks here. I can't imagine there would be a leak unless the large o-ring wasn't seated properly. Also, these don't have to be torqued down too much, over-torquing may create leak issues.

asong1 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:51 PM
BradTank
Racer

The case some were making is receiving part that the filter cover screws into is a different material and doesn't seem to mate at well as it does with the composite, factory canister.

Some people just switched back to a new composite one and the leaks stopped.

I personally hate the composite filter canister, but trying to decide if I just get a new one or go metal. Would have greatly preferred had they been metal from the factory. Plastic doesn't belong anywhere on an engine.
JeffS520 (01-09-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:55 PM
308guru
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
This is wrong. The metal housing will not leak if the correct o-rings are used and everything is installed properly.

Edit: Relative to the GX anyway. I have no idea what people are doing/using with Tacos.

Last edited by 308guru; 01-08-24 at 02:11 PM.
ASE (01-10-24)
Old 01-08-24, 02:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...eaking.645263/
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...y-leaking.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oil...-leak.1271224/

Not saying it does happen, just that other people have complained about it.
Old 01-10-24, 07:45 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by xychromo
No leaks here. I can't imagine there would be a leak unless the large o-ring wasn't seated properly. Also, these don't have to be torqued down too much, over-torquing may create leak issues.
OK, I admit I went to a quick lube shop to have oil replaced, shame on me for not DIY. They destroyed the plastic part trying to get it off (They spent an hour trying to remove the plastic part.). They replaced with the new metal one for no charge. Only problem was when I got home I saw it was leaking. Took it back. They said there was an issue with the metal filter housing and ordered a new one. Meanwhile, they simply removed and re-installed the "defective" housing and gave me a container with 5 quarts of oil to "top off". The thing never leaked again. I firmly believe it was just installed improperly, likely over torqued leading to the leak. When assembled properly, no issues. I guess I got some free oil.
Old 01-10-24, 08:04 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Iffy-Lube ... where the "technician" was fired from McDonald's the week before, and was given 15-minutes of oil change training.
ukcats (01-10-24)
Old 01-10-24, 08:21 AM
308guru
Driver

Originally Posted by Statman
OK, I admit I went to a quick lube shop to have oil replaced, shame on me for not DIY. They destroyed the plastic part trying to get it off (They spent an hour trying to remove the plastic part.). They replaced with the new metal one for no charge. Only problem was when I got home I saw it was leaking. Took it back. They said there was an issue with the metal filter housing and ordered a new one. Meanwhile, they simply removed and re-installed the "defective" housing and gave me a container with 5 quarts of oil to "top off". The thing never leaked again. I firmly believe it was just installed improperly, likely over torqued leading to the leak. When assembled properly, no issues. I guess I got some free oil.
I'm sure the quick lube place was not shopping for your replacement parts at the Lexus dealer. The metal housing they installed was likely from an auto parts supply house. I used one in a pinch when my plastic housing cracked and the aftermarket metal housings are a universal fit absolute POS. Mine was swapped out the next day with a Lexus metal housing.

In all reality it's not possible to overtorque the housing. It's a hard stop with a very large diameter thread. You'd be bending a breaker bar before anything failed.

So.....Go see if you have Lexus/Toyota metal housing or a cheapie aftermarket one.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion