GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DirecLink Brake Controller Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 07:46 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DirecLink Brake Controller Installation

I am installing a DirecLink brake controller.

http://direclink.webplus.net

Installation seems to be straight forward except for the ground wire. I have a Lexus/Toyota specific cable to connect to the GX's wiring harness under the dash that I have located. The DirecLink also connects to the GX's OBDII connector. My question is where should I connect the ground wire under the dash. The instructions say the white (ground) wire must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can connect the wire under the dash to establish a good ground? Has anyone installed a DirecLink Brake Controller in their Lexus that can offer any advice?
Old 03-31-13, 08:38 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeKid
I am installing a DirecLink brake controller.

http://direclink.webplus.net

Installation seems to be straight forward except for the ground wire. I have a Lexus/Toyota specific cable to connect to the GX's wiring harness under the dash that I have located. The DirecLink also connects to the GX's OBDII connector. My question is where should I connect the ground wire under the dash. The instructions say the white (ground) wire must be connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can connect the wire under the dash to establish a good ground? Has anyone installed a DirecLink Brake Controller in their Lexus that can offer any advice?
You should be able to connect it to any metal screw that attaches to the metal brackets under the dash.

Koz

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-01-13, 09:18 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
You should be able to connect it to any metal screw that attaches to the metal brackets under the dash.

Koz

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
I called Tuson DirecLink this morning and spoke to technical support. They told me the ground wire may not be required. They said I could find out if it is required by connecting the DirecLink controller, starting the car, and pressing the brake to turn on the controller. After the controller comes on disconnect the OBDII cable. If the controller stays on the ground wire is not required and can be taped out of the way.

I will be trying it out in the next few days. I'll let the forum know if the ground cable is required.
Old 04-01-13, 12:00 PM
Koz

I called Tuson DirecLink this morning and spoke to technical support. They told me the ground wire may not be required. They said I could find out if it is required by connecting the DirecLink controller, starting the car, and pressing the brake to turn on the controller. After the controller comes on disconnect the OBDII cable. If the controller stays on the ground wire is not required and can be taped out of the way.

I will be trying it out in the next few days. I'll let the forum know if the ground cable is required.
It's easier to just connect it!

BTW - I'm using the Prodigy P3 (works great).

Koz
Old 04-01-13, 08:44 PM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
It's easier to just connect it!

BTW - I'm using the Prodigy P3 (works great).

Koz
I've used a Prodigy P2 for many years. I decided to try the DirecLink after reading many positive comments about it in the Airstream forums. Read about it here:

http://direclink.webplus.net/direclinkne.html
Old 04-02-13, 05:38 AM
Koz

I use the OBDII port to run the wireless "Torque" program when towing. I find monitoring the engine and trans real-time data (temps and performance) is vital when towing.

http://torque-bhp.com/

Koz
Old 04-03-13, 10:56 PM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

I successfully installed the DirecLink in our Lexus GX-460. It seemed to work with or without the ground wire connected. As there was a easy place to connect the ground wire I connected it.