GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Keyless Access Security Threat

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 08:31 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
The common answer in this thread appears to be insurance... Some insurance companies even have "depreciation waver" in case the vehicle is stolen, which means you get a brand new one!
Of course we all have insurance. But I'm looking for preventive measures. I personally think it would be a real pain to have to file insurance claims, police reports and replace vehicle and contents if the GX is stolen. What if we are traveling and we're hundreds or thousands of miles from home? Finally, insurance rates may go up and the ability to obtain insurance may go down.
Old 04-12-13, 08:42 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
Be careful where you park (I ALWAYS park at the furthest/isolated parking spot). Only use the (inside) lock button on the door to lock your vehicle (not remote). If the area is in question (mall, etc.), use a "Club".

Koz
I always assumed that parking in isolated places invites thiefs and/or vandals who have more time and privacy to enter and/or damage and start your vehicle.

We have to use a club to protect our GX? I had forgotten that clubs existed until I saw your post. I haven't used a club in many years. I find it strange that we have to use clubs to protect our high-tech vehicles. I find clubs to be a crude pain-in-the-neck way to protect a vehicle. There's got to be a better way.
Old 04-12-13, 09:50 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

By parking in an isolated spot (below a light pole or near cameras) the thief will stand out. Parking in the meat of the lot will help the thief blend in. Also, less dings!

Very important - DO NOT TAKE MORE THEN ONE PARKING SPOT!!!!!

I'm trying to find the company that makes this reinforced metal cap/cover that works with the club to prevent air bag theft and or cutting the steering wheel. I bought it back in the 90s. This device will make a thief consider skipping my vehicle.I will post a picture ASAP.

Koz
Old 04-12-13, 11:15 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeKid
Of course we all have insurance. But I'm looking for preventive measures. I personally think it would be a real pain to have to file insurance claims, police reports and replace vehicle and contents if the GX is stolen. What if we are traveling and we're hundreds or thousands of miles from home? Finally, insurance rates may go up and the ability to obtain insurance may go down.
The unfortunate reality is GX/LX thefts appear to be "staged" events. It's not like a bunch of guys walking in the parking lot and then saying "look, here is a GX, I'm gonna steal it!".

By the time the thief is ready to do their move they will know where you live, where you work, where you do shopping and how long you usually absent from your car as well as what kind of gadgets are protecting your car. Stealing cars is a business and it is being run as such.

But the above also means that if you're travelling then a random theft event is highly unlikely, at least that's what I would think!
Old 04-12-13, 12:24 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

OrangeKid ... you ask good questions! Unfortunately, there isn't one good answer ... only multiple potential answers.

My opinion is there is no absolutely fool-proof way to prevent auto theft. If there was, we could save a lot on insurance! As many posters have said ... if thieves want it bad enough, they will take it.

Those who steal a Lexus GX (or LX) are professionals. That explains why these thefts are seldom solved, why the stolen vehicles are seldom recovered and why we all pay high premiums to insurance companies for replacement.

I think common sense precautions outweigh electronic countermeasures. Enform and LoJack may be worthwhile, but parking in a locked garage rather than on the street is worth more. When we have the option, we take a limousine rather than our GX, e.g., to attend a concert in the city. If we have to drive into the city, we pay for a parking garage rather than a meter and park near their office ... assuming it is a 'personed' garage ... few are anymore. When we vacation we take our chances ... parking under lights and in view of our hotel room makes us sleep better, but the first thing I do in the morning is open the blinds to be sure our GX is still there!

Obviously, if our keyless security system is not secure, we need to know that and Lexus needs to fix that. So far, we've heard anecdotes and seen unconfirmed ... and possibly staged ... security camera videos, which may be nothing more than someone's "15 seconds of fame"!
Regards,

SaniDel

Anecdote Alert! My late father-in-law had a 'Club' to protect his 1997 Toyota Camry, which made me laugh ... and the Club went out with the trash when we settled his estate and donated the Camry to charity. Sigh ...
Old 04-12-13, 01:12 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 201 Posts

I always assumed that parking in isolated places invites thiefs and/or vandals who have more time and privacy to enter and/or damage and start your vehicle.

We have to use a club to protect our GX? I had forgotten that clubs existed until I saw your post. I haven't used a club in many years. I find it strange that we have to use clubs to protect our high-tech vehicles. I find clubs to be a crude pain-in-the-neck way to protect a vehicle. There's got to be a better way.
I also park in end spots or away from everyone else for the sole purpose of not getting dings, hit, etc. I wish I wasn't particular with my cars but I am and it annoys my wife even more when I park somewhat far away or when I look for an end spot so I can park close to the curb.

I will say when I see a "club" on a car I kind of laugh, seems a little old school and the ones I see them on are worth only a little more than the "club" itself. I had one of my cars stolen once out in front of my parents house when I first got out of school and I did feel a little violated even though it ended up being right down the street. The chances are so slim that mine will be stolen that I just don't worry about it. If you are really that worried, pay for the Lojack, I don't see a better option other than a trunk monkey.
Old 04-12-13, 04:22 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://clubbuster.com
Old 04-12-13, 04:24 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

If you are really that worried, pay for the LoJack, I don't see a better option other than a trunk monkey.
Why pay for LoJack when you already have Lexus Enform installed ??

~ Cap
Old 04-12-13, 05:00 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Why pay for LoJack when you already have Lexus Enform installed ??

~ Cap
If you read Dochusar's story in the LX section his Lexus Enform had no signal when they checked 15 minutes after the car got stolen.
Old 04-18-13, 07:44 AM
jasonthema
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quadro
If you read Dochusar's story in the LX section his Lexus Enform had no signal when they checked 15 minutes after the car got stolen.
I work for LoJack, and bias aside, I have it on my personal vehicle and it provides me great peace of mind. No system is perfect, LoJack isn't, but the main benefit is just this, its covert and many GPS devices can be disabled, or if not disabled then a thief can drive under some trees, into a garage, under a bridge, etc and it won't work. Ever drive into one of these places and your gps navigation or satellite radio doesn't work, that's the same signal you're relying on to help recover your stolen car. LoJack works on RF and that's not an issue. The catch with LoJack is that it doesn't work everywhere. It really depends where you live, If you live in places with high crime rates/extensive LoJack coverage like Cali, FL, TX, NY/NJ, AZ, etc then its a must have in my opinion, if you live in a remote area, LoJack isn't worth it.