GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 02:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default AGM vs Lithium vs Traditional Battery

For the average GX user (no fridge or anything) is their any benefit to move to an AGM or Lithium instead of tossing the OEM battery for a $88 Walmart/big box store battery every 3 years?

Old 12-10-20, 04:34 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
For the average GX user (no fridge or anything) is their any benefit to move to an AGM or Lithium instead of tossing the OEM battery for a $88 Walmart/big box store battery every 3 years?
Personally I've not seen any benefit of AGM for GX. All that GX needs is the required CCA to crank up, its not a performance engine which uses battery for anything other than basic electronics which get the exact same power from a flooded battery. Just a rant: my 2 year old OEM panasonic lexus battery died and they replace with a regular oem 84 month one (same as big box stores, just a better warranty on sticker).
Old 12-10-20, 05:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Personally I've not seen any benefit of AGM for GX. All that GX needs is the required CCA to crank up, its not a performance engine which uses battery for anything other than basic electronics which get the exact same power from a flooded battery. Just a rant: my 2 year old OEM panasonic lexus battery died and they replace with a regular oem 84 month one (same as big box stores, just a better warranty on sticker).
I do need a new battery and was doing my usual check of what to get and where to get it from and surprisingly walmart came out on top on the regular battery. 3 year replacement no proration. I believe these are east penn mfg.

In terms of AGM i do need a mod I assume, and again the warranty is the same just more expensive.

Lithium is something I have heard about but the battery prices quite out there.
Old 12-10-20, 06:04 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Costco's 24f Insterstate flooded is same price as walmart - 89 bucks and probably better warranty.
Old 12-10-20, 06:05 PM
gx460sd
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

These are the main characteristics of each type that I know of, they both cost more than a regular lead acid:
AGM=ability to deplete without damaging, can accept charge faster, can mount on its side, heavy
Lithium=less weight, more capacity for same physical size, doesn't perform well in extreme cold or heat

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but basically stick to lead acid with the longest warranty if you don't do anything other than start the car with it
The following users liked this post:
tipsytopsy (12-10-20)
Old 12-10-20, 06:19 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

OEM 84 month lexus battery also can be had for $120 https://parts.lexusofkendall.com/oem...-00544mf24f630

But IMO its better to get a 800cca battery vs a 630cca (original panasonic battery is 530cca). Batteries always deplete in capacity - and GX will not start below 375cca (from what i saw when my battery died). If you've a better CCA - there is a longer depletion cycle you can enjoy.. i.e a longer battery life.

If I had to change battery today - I would just get the Interstate 24f from Costco and call it a day.
coolsaber (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 06:22 PM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My Panasonic battery just died yesterday and I went with an AGM replacement even though it was more expensive. I’m in Canada and the car is parked outdoors all winter, not driven daily, and often used for short trips. I felt the AGM was better suited in this case but that’s just me. If I was in milder climates it probably would not be a thought.
Old 12-11-20, 04:35 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cltchmoney
My Panasonic battery just died yesterday and I went with an AGM replacement even though it was more expensive. I’m in Canada and the car is parked outdoors all winter, not driven daily, and often used for short trips. I felt the AGM was better suited in this case but that’s just me. If I was in milder climates it probably would not be a thought.
did you do the alt-s/voltage booster mod? if not, you need to or else the agm batt is also slowly dying. see the post about the 27f battery.
cltchmoney (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 07:03 AM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
did you do the alt-s/voltage booster mod? if not, you need to or else the agm batt is also slowly dying. see the post about the 27f battery.
Wow thanks for this and a great reason why this forum is so awesome. I just did some research on this and ordered a diode today. If I'm paying almost twice the price for an AGM I do want the full benefits and for it to last. The only thing I don't love about this mod is that it removes the fuse. Do you risk damaging the charging system say during a incorrect jump start as an example?
Old 12-11-20, 11:43 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cltchmoney
Wow thanks for this and a great reason why this forum is so awesome. I just did some research on this and ordered a diode today. If I'm paying almost twice the price for an AGM I do want the full benefits and for it to last. The only thing I don't love about this mod is that it removes the fuse. Do you risk damaging the charging system say during a incorrect jump start as an example?
if you are using the arclight diode then it doesnt get removed - rather it gets put on the arclight and you use it in conjunction.
Old 12-11-20, 12:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Old 12-11-20, 12:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
OEM 84 month lexus battery also can be had for $120 https://parts.lexusofkendall.com/oem...-00544mf24f630

But IMO its better to get a 800cca battery vs a 630cca (original panasonic battery is 530cca). Batteries always deplete in capacity - and GX will not start below 375cca (from what i saw when my battery died). If you've a better CCA - there is a longer depletion cycle you can enjoy.. i.e a longer battery life.

If I had to change battery today - I would just get the Interstate 24f from Costco and call it a day.
Have not checked Costco but will drop by I guess. Thanks!
Old 12-11-20, 12:41 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Costco 36 months no question ask warranty is great. All my other cars have Costco Interstate batteries.
My GX has one from AAA because the previous one was from AAA and it was dead so they came and replaced it with prorate so I went with it.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Have not checked Costco but will drop by I guess. Thanks!
Old 12-11-20, 01:04 PM
cltchmoney
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlickTRD
if you are using the arclight diode then it doesnt get removed - rather it gets put on the arclight and you use it in conjunction.
Did not spring for the arclight which is essentially $100 CAD. Went for a $5 diode similar to this video:
Old 12-11-20, 01:23 PM
whododat
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just went through the same thought process. Ended up getting a Napa AGM battery, ArcLight and a battery charger just to have.
ArcLight should be here Monday. I just fully charged the battery and will install both on Monday.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems