GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 09:32 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
My Lexus battery dated 11/19 died last night and rather than try to deal with the dealer and only get 25% prorated replacement fee, I picked up a 27F Interstate battery from Costco for $110. Easy peezy.
the timing of this post is fantastic. Mine died too and i replaced with a duralast this morning. My battery is 11/18 and says 84 month warranty, I was wondering how the warranty would work. Do they pro-rate it based on Lexus replacement price? Would they even warranty it since i replaced it myself. Mine is a year older than yours, less than 25% probably not even worth it. Especially since the dealership isn’t that close. I guess ill just return the core to auto zone for the $22.

I replaced with this exact fit

Duralast Gold Battery BCI Group Size 24F 750 CCA 24F-DLG

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/duralast-gold-battery-bci-group-size-24f-750-cca-24f-dlg/832327_0_0?rrec=true

Last edited by leftyguns; 05-28-23 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Battery link
Old 05-28-23, 09:43 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

Lexus battery warranty info says it covers only 25% of replacement battery (which is what I had) between 49 and 84 months. I'm assuming that the lexus battery itself costs way more than the Interstate from Costco, plus I'd have to wait until Tuesday to get down to a dealer, the closest one to me is a 30min drive away, then wait for a service tech, so I'd be way more out of pocket $ and time-wise, compared to just getting the battery from Costco. No brainer.
Old 05-28-23, 09:55 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
Lexus battery warranty info says it covers only 25% of replacement battery (which is what I had) between 49 and 84 months. I'm assuming that the lexus battery itself costs way more than the Interstate from Costco, plus I'd have to wait until Tuesday to get down to a dealer, the closest one to me is a 30min drive away, then wait for a service tech, so I'd be way more out of pocket $ and time-wise, compared to just getting the battery from Costco. No brainer.
similar thought process i had. Auto zone is 2 miles from me, more cca than OEM and open today.
Old 05-28-23, 02:45 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,025 Likes on 683 Posts

There are only 3-4 battery manufacturers ... that all "private label" ... with the purchase price (assuming similar CCA's) being driven by the warranty coverage ... that is really the only meaningful difference.

For me ... Interstate is the go-to ... best price-to-performance-to-warranty IMHO ... they always replaced under warranty ... no questions asked.

Last edited by ASE; 05-28-23 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
catdaddylo (06-03-23)
Old 06-16-23, 07:09 PM
blackangus
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

my 2017 barely cra-a-a-a-nked over a couple times this week, and I'd had to charge the battery a few weeks ago, so if figured i'd squeezed about all i was going to get out of that tube, so i replaced the original this week with a new "84 month" Lexus battery. everything i've gleaned is they're "made by interstate" (ok, johnson controls) and interstate has a great reputation. interstate wants $209.95 for their best, 30 month non-agm battery, and this one from the dealer was $164.00. i know they 'got me' somehow, but i'm not seeing how, yet. if this one lasts me another 6 years, i'll be happy. could something from a Lexus dealer actually be a bargain?
Old 06-16-23, 08:22 PM
Randyman
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackangus
my 2017 barely cra-a-a-a-nked over a couple times this week, and I'd had to charge the battery a few weeks ago, so if figured i'd squeezed about all i was going to get out of that tube, so i replaced the original this week with a new "84 month" Lexus battery.
I just had mine replaced a while back (3rd replacement in my 2017 / 4th including the factory original). It was past the 24-Month point - so it was pro-rated and I think I paid like $125 installed. No complaints. The other two were totally free.

Originally Posted by blackangus
could something from a Lexus dealer actually be a bargain?
I'll also mention I always use Lexus for Oil Changes. Considering 9 qts of Mobil 1 and a OEM filter element will cost at least the $59-$79 I usually score at my local Lexus (look for service specials and email coupons). And that includes a free car wash/interior cleaning, brake pad wear inspection, and battery test!

My dealer also has wipers for $19.99/ea (not the refill, but the entire factory blade). I think the OEM wipers are the best option - especially when you can afford to change them yearly at only $20/ea.

So yes - actually some good deals to be had at Lexus!

Randy V.