GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 04:24 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by andreys
Either Red Top 35 or Yellow Top D35 will fit. Make sure you use the supplied tray.

If you need post reversed, you can get an extension (a few bucks at any auto store) or locate RedTop 35R or Yellow Top D35R. The last letter R stand for "reversed" terminals.
Okay thanks, when I couldn't find one that worked, I went with an Interstate battery.
Old 05-17-13, 11:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Optima batteries have had their share of issues, look at some of the reviews.

Koz
Old 05-17-13, 12:34 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
Optima batteries have had their share of issues, look at some of the reviews.

Koz
They aren't the same as they used to be. They told me that at Batteries Plus when I was looking for one that would fit my GX 460.
Old 12-17-13, 11:46 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dead GX :-(

So, I left my 2012 GX in my parents garage in NH while I was visiting for Thanksgiving and it hasn't been started since 11/30. My mother wanted to use my GX today and went to start it and she told me it was dead. She told me she tried both FOB's, I only left one there! (She has an ES) So I figured out after a long and confusing conversation that she tried both of her FOB's and didn't try mine. I told her where I left my FOB and she calls me back and says the battery is dead in the GX. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that it would be dead after sitting for 3 weeks and not being started? She said lights don't work, seat doesn't move and pressing the FOB button does nothing. It has 21k on it and I've had it for 1.5 years. Any ideas? Just doesn't sound normal that the battery would have gone dead while just sitting for 3 weeks.

Thoughts?

P.S. The closest dealer is 1.5 hours away.
Old 12-17-13, 11:52 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There must have been something left on or something was trickling the power out. Did she try to boost it?
Old 12-17-13, 12:26 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lolrax
There must have been something left on or something was trickling the power out. Did she try to boost it?
My mother is 67 and doesn't even know how to open the hood. BUT, my father went out and checked the battery, it has 2 amps of a charge in it. He put a trickle charger on it and will leave it overnight. He said he looked at it and no lights or anything is on now that it's hooked up to a charger and even if something was left on I thought the computer automatically shuts everything off in 20 minutes or so? They can't use jumper cables to start it because it's in the garage and no way to get cables to it when it's nosed in to the garage and Dad is 70, Mom 67, they aren't pushing it out and I'm 400 miles away in NJ until next week.
Old 12-17-13, 12:42 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same thing happened to me with a 2012 Camry with keyless entry/ignition. Left it for 2 week and when I got back the battery would not take a charge. I think there is some circuit running even with the car off.
Old 12-17-13, 12:42 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Craig B;8285207]You might have a bad battery, the battery in my 2010 had a bad cell and had to be replaced. There are a lot of electronics on these vehicles that can run the battery down if left for weeks without a battery maintainer. I leave a battery maintainer on my LS 460, it sits around in my garage more than I drive it. The battery is under warranty for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Mine was replaced for free under warranty on my 2010.I would have the battery tested when you get a chance even if it takes a charge.
Old 12-17-13, 03:25 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R3loader
I had the same thing happened to me with a 2012 Camry with keyless entry/ignition. Left it for 2 week and when I got back the battery would not take a charge. I think there is some circuit running even with the car off.
I was about to say this as well.

My old Sequoia had remote start, and it used to kill the battery somehow when it was left to sit for weeks. It was definitely the remote starter that did it.
Old 12-17-13, 04:42 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Yeah, my C6 Corvette does the same, I keep a maintainer on the battery if it sits for more than 2 weeks. Not sure but I was thinking the relays for the LED DRL's and or the relay for the HID fogs I put it could be having a drain on the battery. I know if I take it to Lexus they will blame it on that. I'll be back in NH in a week so I'll check it out then.
Old 12-17-13, 07:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

My mother is 67 and doesn't even know how to open the hood. BUT, my father went out and checked the battery, it has 2 amps of a charge in it. He put a trickle charger on it and will leave it overnight. He said he looked at it and no lights or anything is on now that it's hooked up to a charger and even if something was left on I thought the computer automatically shuts everything off in 20 minutes or so? They can't use jumper cables to start it because it's in the garage and no way to get cables to it when it's nosed in to the garage and Dad is 70, Mom 67, they aren't pushing it out and I'm 400 miles away in NJ until next week.
I would just call Triple A and they would come to the house and get it started. Your parents probably have road service on their car insurance.
Maybe perhaps things are different here in Calfornia. Over the years I have call triple A to come and get me started at home.

~ Cap
Old 12-17-13, 08:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 603 Posts

I found this link that may help
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ks-will-2.html
Old 12-18-13, 05:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Capirato
I would just call Triple A and they would come to the house and get it started. Your parents probably have road service on their car insurance.
Maybe perhaps things are different here in Calfornia. Over the years I have call triple A to come and get me started at home.

~ Cap
They don't have AAA and getting it started isn't really the reason I posted this. I'm suprised that the battery went stone dead in 3 weeks time, I'm just concerned that there might be an issue like a draw someplace. I've never left it sit that long and probably won't again, I needed a larger vehicle so I borrowed my fathers Tahoe for the month, otherwise the GS is my daily driver. It has a trickle charger on it now and I expect it will start today, I had my father trickle charge it as a slow charge is better for the battery than jump starting it. They don't need to use it so it's not a rush that it gets started.
Old 12-18-13, 08:37 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In todays electronic world of vehicles, 3 weeks is a lifetime to be sitting without starting ANY car. I'm not surprised at all and I'm sure your battery is fine, I would suggest installing a trickle charger next time you are gone for more than a couple weeks
Old 12-18-13, 12:25 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
They don't have AAA and getting it started isn't really the reason I posted this. I'm suprised that the battery went stone dead in 3 weeks time, I'm just concerned that there might be an issue like a draw someplace. I've never left it sit that long and probably won't again, I needed a larger vehicle so I borrowed my fathers Tahoe for the month, otherwise the GS is my daily driver. It has a trickle charger on it now and I expect it will start today, I had my father trickle charge it as a slow charge is better for the battery than jump starting it. They don't need to use it so it's not a rush that it gets started.
If you call Lexus 1800-25-Lexus, they will send someone at no charge to get your car started. It's part of the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty.

Quick Reply: Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems