GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 05:53 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

The truck being 4 years old you'll have some kinda warranty left I'm assuming, you'll be covered 50% of the cost probably.
Old 08-07-17, 06:40 PM
traubgator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery isn't covered. might be the starter, jump didn't do anything. The starter should be covered right?
Old 08-07-17, 07:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,381 Posts

That should be covered and is an expensive repair since a lot of labor is involved.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...e-starter.html
Old 08-25-17, 02:51 AM
Borito
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery type

What is the recommended cranking amperes for a lexus 2014 GX 460 battery?
Old 08-25-17, 05:12 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Oem battery is 595 cca.
Old 01-05-18, 05:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 853 Likes on 590 Posts

Cold weather here and I noticed a cold start on my 3 year old battery was weak. I had it replaced and much better now. I do recall that I had to start the truck twice with the last battery change. With this new battery I experienced low rpm and the gx stalled in the parking lot. I got on on the road and stalled due to low rpm at a red light. All is good now. Just an FYI
Old 03-06-18, 11:16 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deep Cycle Battery

Has anyone swapped out their factory battery for a deep cycle battery such as the Optima Yellow Top?

I have 3 young kids who are prone to draining the battery, and I've woken up to a dead battery more than once.

I haven't had that happen on the GX yet; just planning ahead.

Last edited by heckeljohn; 03-06-18 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-06-18, 12:33 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Many have reported that Optima’s quality is not the same as years passed. Alot of people are running Odyssey or Northstar batteries or Diehard.
My battery is less than 2year old but I plan to replace it with one of the above when it’s time.
Old 03-06-18, 04:06 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Thanks. I had a Yellow Top in my Toyota Sienna for 5 years before I traded it in for the GX.

I never had a problem with it. My kids would leave the door open all night and drain the battery, and after a quick charge, it was good to go.

Before that, I was buying a new battery every 18 months.
Old 03-07-18, 04:32 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Another thing you can do is change a bunch of your lights to LEDs. I remember back in college I'd go visit my girlfriend out of town and come back 5 days later with my led dome lights still on. Car still fired up with the optima red that I had in there.
Old 03-07-18, 06:24 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

True deep cycle batteries don't like the frequent starting/stopping requirements of a primary battery, so it would be good to look for a hybrid that can handle both to an extent. I'm a big fan of Interstate batteries and opted for the Interstate Megatron Plus in my GX, which has a decent reserve capacity at 165 (Ah aren't published) and lots of CCA's for starting. I can't recall what the stock battery size is (24?) for the GX, but I installed a 27F, which fits easily into the stock tray and gives you more battery for your needs.

If you really want to splurge on a battery, take a look at these X2's:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...7m/sli27agmdpm

The 90 Ah for the group 27 makes it close to the specs of some of the group 31 batteries. It's advertised as a starting/cycling battery, so it could be your primary with lots of reserve for when it gets drained. I believe these X2 AGM batteries are made by Northstar, which has a solid reputation as "the best" AGM battery going these days (I'm sure the Odyssey folks would argue that point).
Old 03-07-18, 11:06 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

If the kids running the battery down by leaving things on is a constant battle, then yea, a deep cycle battery makes sense for you.

But from everything I've heard, Deep Cycle batteries aren't as good for the normal operation of starting a car and have some real downsides like the cold cranking amps is lower and you're supposed to get a "bigger" battery to compensate.
They're also a lot more expensive.

I know my kids have occasionally left on rear dome lights and such, might not be a bad idea to just remove the bulb until they get a little older.

Toyota/Lexus have this weird philosophy about inside car lights. Like every other car manufacturer has something where after like so many minutes, the light goes off automatically. With all the technology these days, something simply like an interior light timer of like 30 minutes seems easy and a no brainer.
Old 03-07-18, 04:26 PM
heckeljohn
Rookie

I'm on the fence about the CCA. I'm in Los Angeles, and I park my car in the garage.

If I were to go skiing, however.....

Maybe it is time to splurge. I rarely buy a new car, so may as well do it right.
Old 03-07-18, 04:57 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by heckeljohn
I'm on the fence about the CCA. I'm in Los Angeles, and I park my car in the garage.

If I were to go skiing, however.....

Maybe it is time to splurge. I rarely buy a new car, so may as well do it right.
I have Costco Intestate batteries and Kirkland brand before that and go ski alot in Tahoe. I haven't had a battery failed on my in the cold (knock on wood) LOL.
A couple of Kirklands got weak so I had Costco replaced them but overall, they are pretty good.
Old 03-07-18, 05:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Always the Lithium Ion options

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/

FAIL SAFE Heavy Duty Battery Protection System

Every Smart Battery® is built with a Fail Safe Built in Battery Protection System (BPS). The internal BPS is automatic and turns off the battery if it is drained below 8V or if it is charged above 15.8V. This protects the Lithium Ion cells from being over charged or over discharged. The BPS also turns off the battery by sensing a short circuit, reverse polarity, over and under voltage as well as over current. Smart Battery® Lithium Ion Batteries are engineered to be zero maintenance and fail safe. The BPS gives the battery it's peak performance during use and maintains the cells to maximize efficiency, performance and life cycles truly making this a Smart Battery®

Quick Reply: Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems