GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 10:02 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepsride
I live in the Tampa area and in a Ford, and 2 Jeeps we get 2 years out of batteries before we have to replace them as well. I switched to a Northstar battery in my Jeep due to a winch.So far that battery is now 3 years old. It is a deep cycle AGM battery. I am thinking of putting on in the GX here soon
I switched out to an AGM as well. Bought the car used and it came with an Interstate battery and that crapped out in a couple months. Went to Interstate store and they said warranty is only valid for orignal purchaser. Didn't feel like dealing with the used car lot so I ended up getting the Duracell AGM by East Penn MFG. which is the same people that make the Deka Intimidator batteries.

Originally Posted by bert213
Any experiences from anyone with the Duracell batteries from Sam's Club or elsewhere?
I got the Duracell AGM battery from Sam's Club and noticed a difference in start times after swapping the POS Interstate that was in my car. I basically work in my car constantly using the power plugs/cigarette lighter socket with a power inverter and alternate with turning the car on and off several times throughout the day when parked to charge up the battery. Also have a dashcam that's hardwired and runs 24/7. I believe that's what killed my previous battery and the reason why I went with AGM.

Deka Intimidator batteries are highly recommended in the overlanding and camping forums (second to Northstar), but both of those are not cheap ($250+). I found this thread on ih8mud that IDs batteries made my the same manufacturer/plant that makes the Deka Intimidator batteries. I was in Sam's club and to my surprise the Duracell AGM is made by the same manufacturer (East Penn MFG) and looks almost identical to the Deka battery just with different branding. Also ended up going with a size other than stock. It's a bit shorter but has either more CCA or a bigger reserve then the stock sized one. I need to get the spacers but I've had it like this since 9/18 and no issues at all. Highly recommend it.

The following users liked this post:
Stepsride (05-31-19)
Old 05-30-19, 10:09 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

My battery just went bad today. I installed an Odyssey battery today. Make sure you spend the extra 4 bucks for the spacer. It is a shorter battery than stock. So far so good. $239 Autozone
Does the spacer lock into the battery? I need a spacer for my Duracell AGM (see my previous post before this) and i'm want to know if I can use this spacer or are their tabs or anything that would make it unusable for a battery other then the odyssey batteries?
Old 05-31-19, 04:07 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Does the spacer lock into the battery? I need a spacer for my Duracell AGM (see my previous post before this) and i'm want to know if I can use this spacer or are their tabs or anything that would make it unusable for a battery other then the odyssey batteries?
The spacer is specific to this battery. . Here is what it looks like. You may want to try it and if necessary use a dremmel tool to make it work for you.

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/sp...577205761534ef
Old 05-31-19, 03:44 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Is this one (34R-790) the current one you're running in your GX with the height adapter?
Do you know which Odyssey model is equivalent to our stock, 24F?

My battery just went bad today. I installed an Odyssey battery today. Make sure you spend the extra 4 bucks for the spacer. It is a shorter battery than stock. So far so good. $239 Autozone
Old 05-31-19, 05:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,666 Likes on 2,400 Posts

I use these LiFePO4 batteries in my quads and snowmobiles. Very..very expensive but definitely save on weight and offer compelling performance. Auto version is further up there $$$

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-category/automobile
https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx1600
https://earthxbatteries.com/about-us
https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batt...ery-technology
https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batt...eresting-facts

"The ETX1600 is 8.9 pounds. Max charge current rating is 160-amps. Delivers 1600 Peak Cranking Amps (PCA)."
Old 06-07-19, 07:12 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Is this one (34R-790) the current one you're running in your GX with the height adapter?
Do you know which Odyssey model is equivalent to our stock, 24F?
This is as close as Odyssey makes. The spacer raises the battery about an inch. It snaps in and works just like your stock battery just with the added benefits. The stock tie down works fine as well.
Acrad (06-07-19)
Old 06-08-19, 05:10 AM
TREX1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone batteries in the "Gold" version do the same thing

They last till around the full replacement time. Then they give u crap and tell you they cant replace it becase there is nothing wrong with it

They have a bad cell. I can tell what one acts like without a tester

Last time I went to Cosctco. $85 vs $150 just like an earlier poster. Already lasted longer than the Autozone Gold.

It was a little tough to change out a max $20 job. Less if I did them all the time

This is in a GM product which will go its merry way soon
Old 06-08-19, 06:04 AM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Just like every chain you have to pick the good ones out from the bad ones. The autozone gold in FL will last 2 years and change. I always bring it back to autozone a month before the warranty is up. Amazingly I always have a bad cell. I have a beater car that I have done this 3x with no problems
Old 10-20-19, 02:48 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Disconnected battery and cleaned my connections today, installed a quick connect for the trickle charger and applied some
anti-corrosion prevention to terminals. anti-corrosion prevention to terminals.

John00 (10-20-19)
Old 10-20-19, 03:35 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

looks so clean.
they do make neg terminal covers to match the pos

you can also add a supercap if you dont want to change batteries as often, or have sluggish starts in the cold or even in the warm due to an old or weak battery.
pretty sure some GMs came with them. good ones about 150$ or so.

batteries live longest in cold and work best in hot. live longest due to slow chemical reaction, work best due to fast chemical reaction. heat speeds up reactions
supercap isnt really affected by temps, and the discharge rate is so high that the 'dead baattey' will start it right up quicker than a brand new battery.
Acrad (10-20-19)
Old 10-20-19, 03:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thanks! Will look for a negative cover. Need to look at the supercap. I don't have any current starting issues but sounds interesting.
Old 10-20-19, 03:44 PM
John00
Racer

heres the cover i have
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982823865.html
tight fit and doesnt see like it would ever fall off by itself
Acrad (10-20-19)
Old 10-20-19, 03:48 PM
John00
Racer

the supercaps dont hold for as long as a battery, for the gx the supercap would be a compliment to the battery. even a 'dead' battery would work, but it does need a battery. 'dead' meaning wont start the vehicle but will power say a dome light enough to see.
Acrad (10-20-19)
Old 12-11-19, 05:41 PM
william489
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 12V DC source needed to swap out old battery?

Do I need to connect a DC source when replacing battery? I heard if I don't do that, I may lose some info inside car computer etc. I have 60k on current battery, it dropped below 12v when I was playing obd stuffs when car was off. The car starts/roars fine so far like a tractor.
Old 12-11-19, 06:37 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by william489
Do I need to connect a DC source when replacing battery? I heard if I don't do that, I may lose some info inside car computer etc. I have 60k on current battery, it dropped below 12v when I was playing obd stuffs when car was off. The car starts/roars fine so far like a tractor.
You'll lose things like radio settings but nothing critical.

Quick Reply: Battery - questions, concerns, and/or problems