GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Electronic Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13 | 02:35 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Default Electronic Key Problem

I'll be replacing the batteries in our electronic keys to solve this problem, but just in case it doesn't ... here's the sequence that causes the problem.

1. Both electronic keys have to be in the vehicle.

2. Come to a stop, but with the transmission in gear, e.g., stopping for a brief errand by the passenger.

3. With the transmission in gear, the driver holding the vehicle with the service brake and with the engine idling, open the passenger door and take one of the electronic keys out of the vehicle. For example, the driver 'holds' the vehicle with the service brake in gear against the idling engine while the passenger gets out with their electronic key without the vehicle being parked, stopped and the engine off.

In this specific ... and admittedly dangerous scenario, a warning triangle is displayed and the words "ELECTRONIC KEY PROBLEM" is on the driver's display. Putting the vehicle in park and turning off the engine does NOT clear the problem ... it is necessary to cycle through the 'Start' button positions to clear the error message.

If it happens after we have both batteries replaced ... $6 each from Lexus parts, including installation ... I'll report back with photographs of the display error code.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-17-13 | 03:49 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I'll be replacing the batteries in our electronic keys to solve this problem, but just in case it doesn't ... here's the sequence that causes the problem.

1. Both electronic keys have to be in the vehicle.

2. Come to a stop, but with the transmission in gear, e.g., stopping for a brief errand by the passenger.

3. With the transmission in gear, the driver holding the vehicle with the service brake and with the engine idling, open the passenger door and take one of the electronic keys out of the vehicle. For example, the driver 'holds' the vehicle with the service brake in gear against the idling engine while the passenger gets out with their electronic key without the vehicle being parked, stopped and the engine off.

In this specific ... and admittedly dangerous scenario, a warning triangle is displayed and the words "ELECTRONIC KEY PROBLEM" is on the driver's display. Putting the vehicle in park and turning off the engine does NOT clear the problem ... it is necessary to cycle through the 'Start' button positions to clear the error message.

If it happens after we have both batteries replaced ... $6 each from Lexus parts, including installation ... I'll report back with photographs of the display error code.
Regards,

SaniDel
You don't have to go to your Lexus dealer to purchase batteries. I've changed the batteries in my key fobs on my LS 460 and it's very easy. It has the same key fob the GX 460 has. Radio Shack, or any battery store or auto parts store should stock the batteries. I've seen the message low key fob battery in my LS 460 before, but not the same message about a key problem. I guess, it would be better to let the dealer check it out. Let us know what they come up with.
Old 05-17-13 | 05:46 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Here's the replacement procedure for the battery in the electronic key.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Electronic Key Problem-battery-replacement-procedure.jpg