GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New To Lexus Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 02:11 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right... probably a big plus for people in cold regions.
Old 06-22-13, 04:50 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so update for anyone who cars. I bought a 2011 CPO GX Premium black on black.

I financed through Lexus and got .9%, initially it was 1.9%. I was unaware I could buy an extended warranty for it to cover 6 years and it gave me the .9%. Since I don't put that many miles on a year this is probably the best option. The extended cost about $2,400, but only added $6 a month to my payment. Plus if I trade it back in before the 6 years is up, they will give me a check for the prorated amount. I didn't know about this until I was signing the papers, and I know a lot of people will say the extended is a ripoff, but in reality I will probably get use out of it since I won't hit the miles in 6 yrs.

Overall my experience with buying one was probably a 7/10, not outstanding but accommodating. Part of the issue was probably me coming by the dealership a lot and the deal changed a little when I finally pulled the trigger. They disputed what they told me they would sell me the car for on a previous visit (eventually agreed but seemed annoyed), and they took $1k off what they would give me for my trade. But overall I'm satisfied, I just wish I had a place to drive too!

So I'm going to tint my windows, the drivers & passengers side, IL law says 35%, anyone know what the factory is? Any other upgrades do people suggest? What about NavTraffic, I haven't really driven much but anyone in Chicago use this and find it beneficial? I still have a few months left on my trial.

Thanks for all the responses and welcoming me to the club!
Old 06-23-13, 04:39 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We live in the north burbs of Chicago and I don't think the nav traffic is useful. It will often tell you about a slow-down, but not always, and sometimes tells you there's one when there isn't. Also, it will not re-route you around traffic. Overall, the nav system in the Lexus is not very good.
Old 06-24-13, 10:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoRy
Ok, so update for anyone who cars. I bought a 2011 CPO GX Premium black on black.

I financed through Lexus and got .9%, initially it was 1.9%. I was unaware I could buy an extended warranty for it to cover 6 years and it gave me the .9%. Since I don't put that many miles on a year this is probably the best option. The extended cost about $2,400, but only added $6 a month to my payment. Plus if I trade it back in before the 6 years is up, they will give me a check for the prorated amount. I didn't know about this until I was signing the papers, and I know a lot of people will say the extended is a ripoff, but in reality I will probably get use out of it since I won't hit the miles in 6 yrs.
Congrats on the purchase, I hope you like it. I don't think the factory extended warranty is a ripoff at all especially with how expensive it is to fix things on these trucks or cars. I do however believe in not buying it until your factory warranty is up though but that is just me. However for only $6 a month more that makes complete sense. I usually wait until the week before my factory warranty is up (or close to the 50k mile mark) before I purchase the warranty and the fact that you get a prorated amount back if you sell the car during the extended warranty period makes it a no brainer to me. Additionally, if you do a search here you will see that the prices from a couple dealers here for the extended warranty can't be beat.
Old 06-24-13, 03:25 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Congrats on the purchase, I hope you like it. I don't think the factory extended warranty is a ripoff at all especially with how expensive it is to fix things on these trucks or cars. I do however believe in not buying it until your factory warranty is up though but that is just me. However for only $6 a month more that makes complete sense. I usually wait until the week before my factory warranty is up (or close to the 50k mile mark) before I purchase the warranty and the fact that you get a prorated amount back if you sell the car during the extended warranty period makes it a no brainer to me. Additionally, if you do a search here you will see that the prices from a couple dealers here for the extended warranty can't be beat.
Well said! As we approach the end of our factory warranty we will get quotes for an extended warranty, but not buy until just before the former expires. We did that with our previous Lexus (2006 RX 400h) and paid $2,400, but got the prorated amount for the unused portion returned when we traded for the GX. All in all, it seems a reasonable price to pay for only the time it is in use and it could save us on an expensive repair.

That being said, our early-production (November 2009) 2010 GX 460 has been our most reliable vehicle, which is saying a lot as ten of our vehicles have been Lexus! We realize our luck may run out and nothing lasts forever, but if our first three and a half years are any indication, this GX will last forever ... but we won't own it forever! Someone else will eventually get a great used vehicle.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-25-13, 09:15 AM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Question for those with the AVS.. If I go on a long road trip on the freeway 70mph+, should I be in Sport Mode or just keep it normal?
Old 06-25-13, 11:25 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Question for those with the AVS.. If I go on a long road trip on the freeway 70mph+, should I be in Sport Mode or just keep it normal?
It all depends on your driving style. I use it when traveling on highways (over 60mph) and faster twisty roads. It does make a difference. It holds a line better in the turns.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 06-25-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 04:18 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
It all depends on your driving style. I use it when traveling on highways (over 60mph) and faster twisty roads. It does make a difference. It holds a line better in the turns.

Koz
Ok thanks I will give it a try
Old 06-26-13, 07:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
I use mine a little differently. On highways and long trips I use comfort but on local twisty roads I use sport mode.
Old 06-26-13, 09:07 AM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
I use mine a little differently. On highways and long trips I use comfort but on local twisty roads I use sport mode.

Great thanks I will play around with it.

I think I know the answer to this question but I gotta ask anyway. Is there anyway the fob key could be locked in the car by accident? Just thinking if I take it to a car wash and leave the fob in the cup holder, and then someone accidentally locks it by hitting the dimple on the handle, could it lock and not be opened again? I would think it could happen, but then be unlocked easily. Can the car tell if the fob is in the vehicle or is it just a radius to the car?
Old 06-26-13, 09:11 AM
Koz

When I say over 60mph it's approx 75/80. The comfort setting is great for around town and bumpy roads. What is interesting is the comfort setting works great when I'm towing.

Koz
Old 06-26-13, 09:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I think I know the answer to this question but I gotta ask anyway. Is there anyway the fob key could be locked in the car by accident? Just thinking if I take it to a car wash and leave the fob in the cup holder, and then someone accidentally locks it by hitting the dimple on the handle, could it lock and not be opened again? I would think it could happen, but then be unlocked easily. Can the car tell if the fob is in the vehicle or is it just a radius to the car?
I have tried this before with one of my cars (I can't remember if it was the LS or GX) and it wouldn't let me lock the door even manually. I can't remember all the different ways I have tried it (car on or off with fob in the car) but it wouldn't let me. I will try again tonight and see.
Old 06-26-13, 11:41 AM
Koz

Doors will not lock with fob in vehicle (if car, including trunk).

Koz
Old 06-26-13, 03:05 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Koz I plan on replacing my headlights and dog lights like you did, I will post pictures when I'm done
Old 06-26-13, 03:35 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the manual warns that there could be dead zones where the car isn't sure where the fob exactly is. Try placing it at the edge of the door trim, make sure you have a second key out though

Quick Reply: New To Lexus Which One?