GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lifted GX460 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 07:03 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Just to confirm, the 5th gen is 2009 to date, correct?

Also, did you compare both front and back shocks? I only could find "evidence" (Same part numbers) online for the rear shocks (KYB Part Numbers W0133-2037507), but not the fronts ( different part numbers for GX and 4R).

I want to install Bilstein shocks in my GX460. The 4Runner Bilstein parts are:
Front: 24-187541
Rear: 24-187558

Thanks again.

Last edited by Eliris; 04-25-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 07:27 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliris
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Just to confirm, the 5th gen is 2009 to date, correct?

Also, did you compare both front and back shocks? I only could find "evidence" (Same part numbers) online for the rear shocks (KYB Part Numbers W0133-2037507), but not the fronts ( different part numbers for GX and 4R).

I want to install Bilstein shocks in my GX460. The 4Runner Bilstein parts are:
Front: 24-187541
Rear: 24-187558

Thanks again.
5th GEN is 2010+ for 4Runners

here is the link for 2015 Lexus Icon stage 2 tubular
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/icon-20...-tubular-ucas/

link for 5th Gen 4Runner same kit
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...er_p_1183.html

it has the same part numbers for both
Old 04-25-18, 08:50 AM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Those are complete suspension systems though. I am just looking for the bare shocks, to replace the factory ones, without replacing anything else (like springs, seats, bushings, etc.) These kits come with all that and are quite pricy.
Old 04-25-18, 10:06 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks. Those are complete suspension systems though. I am just looking for the bare shocks, to replace the factory ones, without replacing anything else (like springs, seats, bushings, etc.) These kits come with all that and are quite pricy.

Just curious why you want to remove the air suspension and only replace the shocks? If you're not lifting it or replacing anything else its going to perform pretty much the same as your current setup.
Old 04-25-18, 11:04 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

it shows the shock model numbers too. and these are the same.
you should be safe ordering for yours. or if unsure use a good quality mechanic/shop. let them order and be responsible
Old 04-29-18, 08:33 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,370 Posts

http://tctmagazine.net/videos/projec...-with-spc-ucas

Last edited by Acrad; 06-14-20 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 07:04 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

for those who have lifted GX's; did the ride quality improve, deteriorate or stay the same? I am thinking of going with the Icon system but deciding how big I want to go. stage 2 is your basic front and back complete suspension. if ride quality will get worse I may upgrade to either the stage 4 or 5. I worry those kits are overkill for my use. I only need the clearance for light offroading to get to the good camp spots and improved ride
Old 05-01-18, 10:20 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
for those who have lifted GX's; did the ride quality improve, deteriorate or stay the same? I am thinking of going with the Icon system but deciding how big I want to go. stage 2 is your basic front and back complete suspension. if ride quality will get worse I may upgrade to either the stage 4 or 5. I worry those kits are overkill for my use. I only need the clearance for light offroading to get to the good camp spots and improved ride
I'm not sure what the ride quality difference is from the different stages, but if the spring rates and shock body diameter are the same, the ride should be the same. For the higher stages the reservoirs only had extra fatigue resistance for high heat situations which wouldn't help for what you are looking to do. If you are looking to keep your ride quality soft and plush, I'd probably not recommend Icon as it is one of the more firm suspensions for daily driving if your vehicle is not loaded with weight such as camping gear/passengers.

Things I've noticed after putting 15,000 miles/9months on my Icon stage 5/e-rated 33" tires- I actually enjoy the firmer ride characteristic in daily driving. On long road trips my only dislike is the sway I get in windy conditions, but that's more a tire issue, not suspension. I've done about 10 several hundred mile trips on this thing since lifted and I've never been uncomfortable in it versus stock. The suspension has taken a pounding in the dirt and then gotten back on the pavement and taken me home in Lexus comfort. I really can't say anything bad about it and have no complaints in the ride quality department. I've taken friends off road and on trips and no one has ever said they were uncomfortable, only noted how well the truck drove and how comfortable the seats were. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely try to get a ride in a King shock equipped vehicle beforehand to see the difference, but I have no regrets and have to say the lift has been the most fun mod I've done to any of my vehicles.
Old 05-01-18, 06:39 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

@Nickk6 thank you for the info. I will definitely have weight for camping. usually 4 people plus a dog, camp gear and a roof top tent. i like the ride quality / steering i have now. before i upgrade i want to make sure i don't lose it or i improve it. firmer ride would be ok with me just not real stiff like i had in my OME. during summer i am 70/30 on / off road. winters i don't really do any other than lots of snow driving
if i have read correctly Icon appears to use same shocks through first couple stages. they just add better springs and other suspension parts. then they switch to remote reservoirs and improve the suspension parts even more. the difference between 2 and 5 is quite a bit of parts, trying to determine if the $1400 + labor price difference is worth it. i will only raise it 2/1 since i am not running 33's. my 32.5" will look silly on 3" lift.
glad you mention Kings, i have looked at those as well (even though they seem out of stock every where). are they known to be more cushy?
Old 05-01-18, 11:08 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
@Nickk6 thank you for the info. I will definitely have weight for camping. usually 4 people plus a dog, camp gear and a roof top tent. i like the ride quality / steering i have now. before i upgrade i want to make sure i don't lose it or i improve it. firmer ride would be ok with me just not real stiff like i had in my OME. during summer i am 70/30 on / off road. winters i don't really do any other than lots of snow driving
if i have read correctly Icon appears to use same shocks through first couple stages. they just add better springs and other suspension parts. then they switch to remote reservoirs and improve the suspension parts even more. the difference between 2 and 5 is quite a bit of parts, trying to determine if the $1400 + labor price difference is worth it. i will only raise it 2/1 since i am not running 33's. my 32.5" will look silly on 3" lift.
glad you mention Kings, i have looked at those as well (even though they seem out of stock every where). are they known to be more cushy?
https://www.tundras.com/threads/icon...-no-res.11119/

It seems they may be more cushy like the OE ride.
Old 05-02-18, 02:27 AM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by stilespend
2013 GX430 Base
Current Set Up:
Suspension:
Front - Ironman Foam Cell Pro's with TOY055B springs & Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Rear - Ironman Foam Cell Pro's with TOY056B Springs
Tires - 275/70r18 KO2's
Wheels - Mamba M16 18x9" -12mm Offset
Stilespend, great looking GX. I'm heading the same direction: 2015 GX 460 Base, will install Ironman FCP + SPC UCA + 275/70R18 Cooper AT3. Do you have any issues with tire rubbing, especially at full turn? Thanks.
Old 05-02-18, 02:55 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nickk6
https://www.tundras.com/threads/icon...-no-res.11119/

It seems they may be more cushy like the OE ride.
i have read, some of that thread. and a few other on t4r's site. i am still leaning towards the icon's when i am ready. i think i am going to try and get in a few camping trips first to see how it does with stock suspension. before i spend $2000-5000 on a suspension, maybe stock will handle good enough for me.
Old 05-02-18, 03:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

All these lifted pics and talks really get me excited. I won't be lifting it any time soon but it is awesome to see more people doing it. It never gets old looking at pics of a lifted GX 460.
The following users liked this post:
ellocovg (07-01-22)
Old 05-24-18, 08:37 AM
matts17
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trijicon
I was thinking about this. I've bought spacers from eBay in the past for my FJ and 4runner and they all work the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-1-Front-....c100005.m1851
Did you give this kit a try? I would like to do a 1" front lift as well.
Old 07-21-18, 06:49 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Bringing this thread back to see if there are any new lifted GX's. I am also planning to lift my GX. I have ordered Metaltech coil spring conversion kit, Radflo's 2" springs (Eibachs), Radflo's rear shock and front coilovers with external reservoir and adjusters. I also have Total Chaos UCA as well. The spring rate in front are 700lbs since I plan on a metal bumper. This is probably why the front coilovers have not shipped.

For those that have lifted the GX with air springs, did you have to use spacers for the auto leveler mechanism?

Quick Reply: Lifted GX460 thread