GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lifted GX460 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 12:48 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am waiting on parts but doing the King 2.5 Remote Resi's all around with Metal Tech conversion kit, and sliders. Finally will replace the AHC and shock setting buttons when I rip out the airbags and AHC shocks. Will attempt to add crawl control. Will also possibly do the BMC as well for wheel clearance once I am under the truck trying to get things moving.

I have already done Radflo and Icon, so it's King this time. Radflo was great but had to be rebuilt within 1.5 years. Icon was good too but I've heard good things about King and like a firm riding truck. Most of the 5th gen T4R suspension parts for KDSS equipped trucks will fit the GX. I had both and compared most everything and bolt holes/locations.
Old 07-21-18, 01:05 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

KVA, when you had the Radflo, were you doing a lot of offroading? When I talked to Radflo, they were stating around 3 years with my way of using the truck before rebuilt is needed with the 2.5" and remote adjusters. Did you have to put spacers/washers on the rear level sensor? I am wondering if I need to since I will be lifting about 2"
Old 07-26-18, 04:40 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the Radflo on the T4R so no rear level sensors...they only lasted about ~2 years before having to rebuild. They were 2.5" but not remote resi as those didn't exist for the platform at the time. The Radflo guys are super nice and the suspension was great while it was on.

I'll have to figure out the same with the sensors, but would prefer to simply remove all that electrical crap (if possible with no dashboard lights) and simplify things. I don't use the leveling to drop or raise the truck as it is mostly useless, though I realize it maintains height since there are no springs back there. Hence the change to 3" progressive springs...I will make it work somehow.
Old 08-19-18, 01:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Do most follow these Ironman KDSS instructions or generally not a concern?
Attached Files
Old 08-21-18, 07:00 PM
HitchCrack
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Do most follow these Ironman KDSS instructions or generally not a concern?
So I did not follow those instructions, what I did was lift up the vehicle and put the rear frame on jack stands. I supported the KDSS ram with a jack after breaking the bolts loose. With the Ram supported I unbolted the sway bar from the rear axle. Installed the rear suspension and then hooked the sway bar back up. Once the sway bar was tight I lifted the vehicle off of the jack stands and removed the jack stand from under the ram and tightened the bolts. I repeated this for the front. I found the front to be a little more difficult but with a couple of pry bars we were able to get the front sway bar reconnected.

- HitchCrack
Old 08-21-18, 07:04 PM
HitchCrack
Driver School Candidate

Here are the Post lift results.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (09-13-18)
Old 08-21-18, 07:06 PM
HitchCrack
Driver School Candidate

You can see the jack supporting the KDSS ram in this photo of the front end.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-27-18)
Old 08-27-18, 06:44 PM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by goodtogo:
Acrad (08-27-18), JayPixelGX (10-08-19)
Old 09-13-18, 03:06 PM
slimjim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goodtogo

What fenders do you have?
Old 09-13-18, 04:42 PM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim
What fenders do you have?
Chinese made pocket style fender flares deaigned for Land cruiser Prado 150 with different profile lines .I have to cut, frim and mimod the flare and the body panel to fit.
Old 03-31-19, 11:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Old 10-07-19, 09:56 PM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by visuthdy
Hi TheMick,
I'm a new owner of the same color 2010 GX 460 and interested in lifting as well. Can I ask you what you did to your grill and door handle? I like it! I don't like all that chrome that's currently on the GX. I'm thinking about new wheelset as well, but I like BFG A/T KO2 255 70 R18s. Will 275/285 70 R18 fit?

thanks!
Visuthdy, man sorry for being so lax in me reply. I am obviously not checking in on the forum much.
glad you like the blacked out grill and door handles, in addition I blacked out the whole raised body panel on the barn door.
i used plastidip matte black. The door handles actually took the longest, as I taped the seems and tried to get a real clean look. I went ahead and took the grill off to spray it, and just masked off around the barn door. I’ve been impressed with how well the plastidip has lasted, it’s still on the truck after several years. Back in the summer I hit a bird or something and it scratched up the grill, so I peeled off the plastidip and resprayed several coats. I also blacked out the barn door badging.
i have also found that Mother’s back to black works well to revitalize the plastidip black. Hope this helps sorry for late reply...
Old 10-08-19, 08:37 AM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

It’s great seeing all the lifted GX460 pics and people actually using the truck as it was intended.
I’m at the point now where I am looking at retiring my Daystar spacer lift and installing a suspension lift. My stock OEM shocks and ball joints are leaking so it’s time for an upgrade...
So far I’m planning on the Icon front coilovers, the icon rear 2.0 socks and the Icon 3” dual rate rear springs.
From what I’ve read the standard Icon coil over spring is a 650lbs spring, they do offer an upgraded 700lbs coil over spring but I’m running a stock bumper and no winch etc., so I don’t think that is necessary.
With all the lifted GX460s on this thread, I looking for comments on upgraded UCAs and LCAs.
The UCA upgrade seems fairly standard, has anyone had any issues with uniballs?
It doesn’t appear that many people have installed aftermarket LCAs, not sure if it’s really needed, but it would be nice.
Does anyone have experience with the Total Chaos or Dirt King KDSS LCAs?
At what point should I consider installing the following: differential drop kit, rear adjustable track bar (panhard bar) etc?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-19, 01:22 PM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Bump...Still looking for comments
Old 10-21-19, 11:37 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMick
It’s great seeing all the lifted GX460 pics and people actually using the truck as it was intended.
I’m at the point now where I am looking at retiring my Daystar spacer lift and installing a suspension lift. My stock OEM shocks and ball joints are leaking so it’s time for an upgrade...
So far I’m planning on the Icon front coilovers, the icon rear 2.0 socks and the Icon 3” dual rate rear springs.
From what I’ve read the standard Icon coil over spring is a 650lbs spring, they do offer an upgraded 700lbs coil over spring but I’m running a stock bumper and no winch etc., so I don’t think that is necessary.
With all the lifted GX460s on this thread, I looking for comments on upgraded UCAs and LCAs.
The UCA upgrade seems fairly standard, has anyone had any issues with uniballs?
It doesn’t appear that many people have installed aftermarket LCAs, not sure if it’s really needed, but it would be nice.
Does anyone have experience with the Total Chaos or Dirt King KDSS LCAs?
At what point should I consider installing the following: differential drop kit, rear adjustable track bar (panhard bar) etc?

Thanks!
UCA are available for the 460, that's why you are seeing more information on them.

LCA - I've not seen any available after market yet, looks like everyone is still on OEM if you have a 460. I believe the Total Chaos and Dirt kings you are seeing are for the 470

Diff drop not needed, neither are the adjustable rear links. Figure out what lift kit you are after, what your budget is, then find a reseller you want to buy from, they can help you out with the small details. But in general a 2-3" lift shouldn't require more than the lift kit and UCA's

Quick Reply: Lifted GX460 thread