GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official GX 2014 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 09:51 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its not just the GX...its auto buyers in general. Ask Land Rover LR4 buyers or Jeep Grand Cherokee buyers if they have any idea at all their vehicles capability, the vast majority of people don't. A very slim percentage of vehicle owners could even tell you their vehicle's horsepower or what type of engine it has, let alone its approach or departure angles. I'm an enthusiast and I couldn't even tell you the approach or departure angles of my Jeep.

My comment about it being "pretty" was just an example of that fact. I agree its not pretty, one of the reasons it sells so poorly compared to the previous vehicle.
I honestly don't think the GX is for you. You seem to be looking at this vehicle for all of the wrong reasons. It is a luxury truck-based body-frame-SUV. I wouldn't put hopes up on the structural rigidity of a CUV in the same conditions over time. Just look at the Mitsubishi Montero when it went from body-on-frame to crossover back in 1999. I've only counted a handful of crossover Montero's in recent years compared to the hundreds of body-on-frame Montero's still on the road today. This is why I think Toyota has continues to produce capable BoF SUV's because "capable" crossovers aren't capable in the long run.
Old 09-27-13, 11:19 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely no question that BOF vehicles are more rigid and last longer.

A friend of mine tows a lot of boats (they built these for a living), when they tried switching to uniboby funny things started to happen after couple years -- doors misaligned, trunk no longer shuts properly and so on due to the unibody getting distorted due to the constant punishment.

They sure might look comparable on paper but smart buyer know better than that.
Old 09-27-13, 12:57 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mine does double duty

This is an interesting discussion - I completely bought the GX because of its dual personalities - the offroad prowess, and its city manners. The mile long rutted gravel road to my place in the mountains can often have a foot or so of snow in the winter, and there are no plows up there. In the spring and summer, washouts of the road make issues like approach angle a reality. The GX plows right through, does not even notice the snow, it is great. I run it through the carwash when back in the city, and no one is any wiser to the adventure we had that weekend.
Old 09-27-13, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
I honestly don't think the GX is for you. You seem to be looking at this vehicle for all of the wrong reasons. It is a luxury truck-based body-frame-SUV. I wouldn't put hopes up on the structural rigidity of a CUV in the same conditions over time.
The GX isn't for me and I'm not interested in purchasing the vehicle. I'd be interested in a three row vehicle at the GX's price point...but not the GX.

I'm just discussing the GX as a topic. BUT, the vast majority of buyers have no need for the GX's BOF attributes.

Originally Posted by Quadro
The front bumper on the 2014 GX did not become lower. You're confusing ground clearance with the approach angle. The bumper on the new one simply extrudes farther from the front wheels thus lowering the approach angle.
To me in pictures the front bumper looks lower.
Old 09-27-13, 11:31 PM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
If you have any plans to upgrade, get the auto leveling air springs. It makes a HUGE difference in the overall ride when towing or not towing (especially towing 6K lbs of horses). There is no input/knowledge needed to operate this system. You can use this vehicle for its lifetime and not make any adjustments. In addition, all GX models use the same wheel and tire size. If you need to replace the tires, I highly recommend you change over to LT rated tires. LTs are designed and engineered to carry more weight. They have reinforced sidewalls that create a more controlled ride (without negatively affecting the ride when not towing).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...n-gx460-2.html

Koz
I would upgrade if Lexus fixes the barn door, offers a diesel engine and/or makes other major improvements. I will consider the air suspension, but I generally like to avoid complicated mechanical systems that can cause problems in places like the Alaska Highway half way between Whitehorse, Yukon Territories and Tok, Alaska.

WRT tires I generally agree with you and I will replace the tires at some point.

Steve
Old 09-28-13, 11:45 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is no other luxury body on frame suvs anymore besides cadillac and maybe lincoln.
rr is body frame...garbage imho

if lexus can make a unitized body as strong as the tesla s (which was so strong it broke the crash test machine), there is no need for body on frame....
Old 09-28-13, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T4Fun
there is no other luxury body on frame suvs anymore besides cadillac and maybe lincoln.
rr is body frame...garbage imho
Correction...there are very few other body on frame SUVs at all anymore. The consumer wants more modern, carlike unibody SUVs.

Seeing that Land Rover, Jeep, and others have shown that unibody SUVs can be incredible capable offroad I'm not sure why you would consider them "garbage".

In any event, you're going to have to get used to it. GX is gone in two years...
Old 09-28-13, 02:52 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correction...there are very few other body on frame SUVs at all anymore. The consumer wants more modern, carlike unibody SUVs.

Seeing that Land Rover, Jeep, and others have shown that unibody SUVs can be incredible capable offroad I'm not sure why you would consider them "garbage".

In any event, you're going to have to get used to it. GX is gone in two years...
Previous attempts at unibody off-road capable SUV's have been failures. They are in essence garbage because the unibody construction can't take abuse over time. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here if you aren't interested in the GX. Most GX owners that have replied to your posts disagree about your statements on unibody construction capability. Seems like these buyers know what they purchased when they bought a GX.
Old 09-28-13, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
Previous attempts at unibody off-road capable SUV's have been failures.
Thats just ridiculous. So Range Rovers and Land Rovers aren't offroad capable? Jeep Grand Cherokees aren't offroad capable? Hummer H1s aren't offroad capable? These vehicles are unibody and are very capable. In fact, I would say Land Rover and to a lesser extent Jeep set the bar when it comes to offroad capability.

Most GX owners that have replied to your posts disagree about your statements on unibody construction capability. Seems like these buyers know what they purchased when they bought a GX.
These are buyers who are members here. The vast majority of buyers do not have enough interest in their vehicle to join an online forum to discuss it. To them it would be like joining a forum to discuss a vacuum cleaner or refrigerator.

I am interested in a three row $50-60k Lexus SUV...just not the GX...which unfortunately is a problem Lexus is having overall.
Old 09-28-13, 04:16 PM
Buckfever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in a three row $50-60k Lexus SUV...just not the GX...which unfortunately is a problem Lexus is having overall.

I think it's very hard to dispute this argument right here. This segment is huge and the GX is not effectively penetrating this segment. We'll see what happens with the price cut and the cosmetic redesign regarding sales. I suspect it won't be meaningful and I suspect the seed they planted with the crossover TX will grow and the midsize BOF Lexus will be gone.

You want a US V8 Prada? The 2016 GX might be your last chance.
Old 09-28-13, 07:03 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Seeing that Land Rover, Jeep, and others have shown that unibody SUVs can be incredible capable offroad I'm not sure why you would consider them "garbage
Jeep Wrangler is still body on frame with solid front and rear axles and what people actually do consider to be off-road worthy over GC. I guess Jeep doesn't know what they are doing?
Old 09-28-13, 09:47 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeep Wrangler is still body on frame with solid front and rear axles and what people actually do consider to be off-road worthy over GC. I guess Jeep doesn't know what they are doing?
Either does Lexus lol Lets just enjoy our beast, who trail rides these things anyway I dont!! My 2014 will see tons of snow and a few dirt roads
Old 09-29-13, 08:37 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Booyah
Either does Lexus lol Lets just enjoy our beast, who trail rides these things anyway I dont!! My 2014 will see tons of snow and a few dirt roads
At some point some of them will. Sure not many people wheel these brand new but the same could be said about LC100/LX470 which, now that they are 7 or more years old, people take hunting and what not.

My opinion is US largely got stuck with CUVs because of gas prices and government mpg requirements. At the end US end up with inferior vehicles in CUV segment targeted to meet these requirements instead of being built to last.
Old 09-29-13, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure the Wrangler is more capable offroad than the GC, but thats more due to its much higher ground clearance and much shorter wheelbase and overall length than it is BOF vs unibody.

And guess what? All the scuttlebutt is that the next gen Wrangler will be...unibody.

Go to Youtube and look at videos of the Land Rover LR4 and the Grand Cherokee off road and tell me they aren't really capable vehicles...all while still delivering a more stable onroad ride.

At the end US end up with inferior vehicles in CUV segment targeted to meet these requirements instead of being built to last.
The US ends up with what consumers want. They have had the opportunity to select BOF SUVs over unibody SUVs (there is a difference between a vehicle with a unibody frame and a vehicle thats a crossover. The LR4 and Grand Cherokee are not crossovers, they aren't built on a car platform like say an Equinox or an RX or an Explorer) and they have selected unibody SUVs.

As for being "built to last". I have a guy I do business with that has an early Acura MDX with 250,000 miles on it. How a BOF SUV is built to last more than a unibody SUV is beyond me.

The only difference between unibody construction and BOF is that a unibody has the frame components built into the body of the vehicle vs a separate frame. Even for towing. A GX's tow capacity is 6,500lbs. A Hemi JGC's capacity is 7,400 pounds...and its unibody and a smaller vehicle. The Land Rover LR4...also unibody can tow 7,700 lbs. So whats the benefit of the BOF construction of the GX?

BOF SUVs are a dying breed. We simply have the technology today to build a better overall vehicle with a unibody design. Better on road, better off road, better towing, better safety, better space inside for passenger room. BOF is simply outdated. Thats why you no longer see BOF cars, and why you will eventually no longer see BOF SUVs.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-29-13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-29-13, 10:23 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

The US ends up with what consumers want.
If the gas prices did not go up consumers would be fine with BOF design. Go tow 7000 lbs with your Jeep for a couple years and then report back how did it work for you. I have a friend who done the experiment with unibody and the only result is they don't use unibody vehicles for towing anymore.

Quick Reply: Official GX 2014 Pictures