GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 12:18 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
We could put this to bed if you are game. I was invited to a Stealer sponsored Land Rover off-road event this coming week-end (in New Jersey). WE can pit all three and see how they do!

Koz
Something on the similar subject: http://forum.ih8mud.com/200-series-c...est-track.html
Old 10-08-13, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
We could put this to bed if you are game. I was invited to a Stealer sponsored Land Rover off-road event this coming week-end (in New Jersey). WE can pit all three and see how they do!
You should absolutely do that! I have never done one with Land Rover but I did do one with Jeep when the WK2 came out in 2011, it was a lot of fun. Do you know if they are going to have competitors vehicles there?
Old 10-08-13, 12:44 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

No, I was invited because my brother works for Rover and his boss made a crack about how the Rover was going to have to pull me out. So put him on the spot and he took the challenge! You in?

Koz
Old 10-08-13, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I wish I could, but I'm already going to be away this weekend. Whereabouts in NJ is it? That would be awesome.
Old 10-08-13, 01:13 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
Can I request a report of how your GX performed compared to the other vehicles that will participate? Also would there be any chance if you can test a Land Rover on the same trail just to make the assessment more fair? I know this is asking for a bit much, but it would be good information.
Old 10-08-13, 01:19 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
BTW – Land Rover (since it is being thrown around here) is still the MOST unreliable brand of vehicle made. In addition, the Heep is only two places higher in the ranking
Also right now they (LR) are owned by Tata Motors (HQ in India!), and Ford before that and BMW before that and different British companies before that... I don't think it's a good sign for any brand to change ownership so much.
Old 10-08-13, 01:24 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
No, I was invited because my brother works for Rover and his boss made a crack about how the Rover was going to have to pull me out. So put him on the spot and he took the challenge! You in?

Koz
I'd love to do this as it's only about 10 minutes from my house, but with the rain we are getting this Friday and Saturday I'm too chicken to take my skirt off and put on my man pants! I've done tons of four wheeling in my days but never in a 55K vehicle, I'd cry if I hurt it.
Old 10-08-13, 01:35 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'd love to do this as it's only about 10 minutes from my house, but with the rain we are getting this Friday and Saturday I'm too chicken to take my skirt off and put on my man pants! I've done tons of four wheeling in my days but never in a 55K vehicle, I'd cry if I hurt it.
YOLO!
Old 10-09-13, 05:45 AM
Koz

The weather is going to be a big factor. I am waiting until the day before (this coming Sat) to remove the running boards (which looks like a real PITA). If the weather is bad, I may pass. To remove the boards you even have to take the wheels off. In addition, the little integrated rear mud flaps have to come off. This may not be worth the effort!

Koz
Old 10-09-13, 06:26 AM
Buckfever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The weather is going to be a big factor. I am waiting until the day before (this coming Sat) to remove the running boards (which looks like a real PITA). If the weather is bad, I may pass. To remove the boards you even have to take the wheels off. In addition, the little integrated rear mud flaps have to come off. This may not be worth the effort!

Koz
We like the capability and in a limited application it's good to have, but it is a Lexus, that might be slightly outside the scope.
Old 10-09-13, 07:55 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

By the way anybody who thinks Grand Cherokee handles good on-road should watch this video:

Now look at the GX 460 in the similar tests (it's in Russian though):

The GX 460 looks to me like a far superior handling and Grand Cherokee is outright dangerous.

(be the way at the end of the test they managed to get some skid on GX 460 by pulling a handbrake!)

Last edited by Quadro; 10-09-13 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 08:01 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Buckfever
We like the capability and in a limited application it's good to have, but it is a Lexus, that might be slightly outside the scope.
What? Please explain?

Koz
Old 10-09-13, 08:36 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro

(be the way at the end of the test they managed to get some skid on GX 460 by pulling a handbrake!)
Since when did a GX 460 have a "HandBrake"
Old 10-09-13, 08:38 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Since when did a GX 460 have a "HandBrake"
You know what I mean. Whether you engage the system by pulling the lever with your hand or press the pedal with your foot makes no difference to the outcome.
Old 10-09-13, 01:15 PM
Buckfever
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
What? Please explain?

Koz
I think having to pull the running boards to prove what we already know to be its capabilities is definitely a PITA. But hey that's just me.

Quick Reply: Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued