GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13 | 10:49 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Again, do some research. They use the same chassis, but use completely different drive trains and susp components (not to mention materials).

Koz
Not true re the drivetrain. The 4.0l V6, VF4B transfer case, and A750F transmission are all used together on the Prado, 4Runner Limited, and even the full-size Land Cruiser in some markets currently, not to mention for the better part of the past 10 years. Materials and refinement wise, yes the GX/Prado and Land Cruiser wins over the 4Runner, but in terms of drivetrain capability and components, they all have more in common globally than they have different.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
If you want to discuss/debate a subject by giving personal opinion instead of fact, you have to be less defensive when someone does not agree or offers fact. We are all here to learn (myself included) and share information about our common interest.

Since you insist on giving opinion instead of fact, please explain how a limited-slip locking center diff has anything to do with the transfer case. The fact is the Torsen is a more versatile way (and other advantages) to distribute torque between the front and rear diffs and because it is more expensive it was dropped by Toyota on the 4Runner (other than on the Limited model).

Koz
The only way to lock the differential is by an electronic dash switch, also the only way to put the GX in 4LO is by an electric switch. This set up is not superior to a lever that is mechanically linked to the transfer case. The electric switch has so many more fail points.

Toyota deleted the lever and went to the switch in the 4Runner for 13 and now have returned to the lever system.

A pure hard core off road enthusiast knows that the lever set up is superior

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:04 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Not true re the drivetrain. The 4.0l V6, VF4B transfer case, and A750F transmission are all used together on the Prado, 4Runner Limited, and even the full-size Land Cruiser in some markets currently, not to mention for the better part of the past 10 years. Materials and refinement wise, yes the GX/Prado and Land Cruiser wins over the 4Runner, but in terms of drivetrain capability and components, they all have more in common globally than they have different.
Every car manufacturer will naturally try and reuse as much components as they can because it makes economic sense to do so. You're simply pointing out how well this works at a Toyota and frankly this is what you want as a consumer because it results in more dependable and reliable vehicles. It doesn't make them to be the same vehicles though otherwise there will be just a single vehicle sold everywhere.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
Every car manufacturer will naturally try and reuse as much components as they can because it makes economic sense to do so. You're simply pointing out how well this works at a Toyota and frankly this is what you want as a consumer because it results in more dependable and reliable vehicles. It doesn't make them to be the same vehicles though otherwise there will be just a single vehicle sold everywhere.
If you look up the parts on any of the vehicles and do a cross reference , you will see that everything is shared in some way among the FJ, GX, Prado and 4Runner.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:24 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you look up the parts on any of the vehicles and do a cross reference , you will see that everything is shared in some way among the FJ, GX, Prado and 4Runner.
Sure and so what? The same economic reasons that causes components to be shared in the first place would prevent creation of the the vehicles that aren't really different. 4Runner represents an additional development cost to a Prado. If it resulted in the same vehicle there would be no point in doing it and Toyota would simply sell Prado instead. I'm increasingly astonished how some people here think they understand how to run a vehicle line up better than a Toyota does.

I'm sure Lexus GS shares 80% components with other Toyota sedans but it doesn't mean it's the same vehicle.

Last edited by Quadro; 10-06-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sure and so what? The same economic reasons that causes components to be shared in the first place would prevent creation of the the vehicles that aren't really different. 4Runner represents an additional development cost to a Prado. If it resulted in the same vehicle there would be no point in doing it and Toyota would simply sell Prado instead. I'm increasingly astonished how some people here think they understand how to run a vehicle line up better than a Toyota does.

I'm sure Lexus GS shares 80% components with other Toyota sedans but it doesn't mean it's the same vehicle.
What? What does the GS have to do with any of this? We are not talking about the GS
Old 10-06-13 | 11:56 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

What? What does the GS have to do with any of this? We are not talking about the GS
Find me any mass produced car in the Toyota/Lexus line up which doesn't share substantial amount of components with some other models then.

P.S. And you ignored my Prado/4Runner question. Got anything to say about it or you just trolling?
Old 10-06-13 | 12:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

um what?? I was simply refuting one specific claim made by Koz, not trying to start a debate about parts sharing, economies of scale, etc.
Old 10-06-13 | 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Find me any mass produced car in the Toyota/Lexus line up which doesn't share substantial amount of components with some other models then.

P.S. And you ignored my Prado/4Runner question. Got anything to say about it or you just trolling?
No need for name calling, what was your question?
Old 10-06-13 | 12:30 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

No need for name calling, what was your question?
I'll try for the last time with you.

You claim that GX/4Runner/Prado/FJ are the same vehicles because they share certain components. That's like saying Lexus CT is the same as Toyota Corolla because they share the same platform (which they also do with Toyta Matrix). By your logic the entire Lexus/Toyota SUV lineup should be a single vehicle because they are all the same and there is no point in wasting money on producing all these different models. And by the same logic the entire Lexus/Toyota sedans line up should be a single vehicle because they all share substantial amount of components between them.
Old 10-06-13 | 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'll try for the last time with you.

You claim that GX/4Runner/Prado/FJ are the same vehicles because they share certain components. That's like saying Lexus CT is the same as Toyota Corolla because they share the same platform (which they also do with Toyta Matrix). By your logic the entire Lexus/Toyota SUV lineup should be a single vehicle because they are all the same and there is no point in wasting money on producing all these different models. And by the same logic the entire Lexus/Toyota sedans line up should be a single vehicle because they all share substantial amount of components between them.
No I don't not claim what you just wrote
Old 10-06-13 | 12:42 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

No I don't not claim what you just wrote
Here is your own quote:

The GX/4Runner/Prado and FJ are essentially the same vehicle.
Old 10-06-13 | 12:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is your own quote:
Yes, essentially the same, that is what I said.
Old 10-06-13 | 12:51 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Yes, essentially the same, that is what I said.
And Lexus CT is essentially the same as Toyota Corolla, right. I think you should sent Toyota's CEO your resume. Clearly people who run vehicles line up at Toyota/Lexus have no idea what they are doing by producing "essentially the same" vehicles.
Old 10-06-13 | 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And Lexus CT is essentially the same as Toyota Corolla, right. I think you should sent Toyota's CEO your resume. Clearly people who run vehicles line up at Toyota/Lexus have no idea what they are doing by producing "essentially the same" vehicles.
No, the CT is essentially the same as the Toyota Prius

Quick Reply: Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued