Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13 | 01:11 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No, the CT is essentially the same as the Toyota Prius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_CT
The CT 200h chassis is based on the Toyota MC platform, which is the same platform used by the Corolla and the Matrix.
Having four different models of "essentially the same" vehicles is not how you build a successful SUV line-up at any car company, let alone Toyota. That's just my perspective.

Last edited by Quadro; 10-06-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-06-13 | 01:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

LexsCTJill, going to ask you to stop with the semantics dance or exit this thread. It's reading like you are posting to intentionally aggravate other members you disagree with.
Old 10-06-13 | 11:15 PM
T4Fun
Racer

you mods need to shut this down. pointless futile thread.
Old 10-07-13 | 05:38 AM
Buckfever
Driver School Candidate

I have a V8 07 4 runner. I was stopped at a light there were several cars ahead of me. There was a Hyundai Sonata behind me. A box truck was distracted and plowed into us going about 45 miles an hour. He hit the Sonata and threw her into me. Then he hit her again and she rolled off my side right rear bumper and landed next to me, then he ran into me and used me as a battering ram. The sonata and the pt cruiser in front of me were totaled. The Honda Accord in front of the pt cruiser was drivable. The girl in the Hyundai Sonata was badly injured and had to be cut out of the vehicle and carried out by stretcher to the ambulance.

I drove to work.

This is kind of a ridiculous discussion. You can not compare the structural rigidity of the BOF construction to a unibody. I might as well have been surrounded by a steel cage.
Old 10-07-13 | 06:57 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Not true re the drivetrain. The 4.0l V6, VF4B transfer case, and A750F transmission are all used together on the Prado, 4Runner Limited, and even the full-size Land Cruiser in some markets currently, not to mention for the better part of the past 10 years. Materials and refinement wise, yes the GX/Prado and Land Cruiser wins over the 4Runner, but in terms of drivetrain capability and components, they all have more in common globally than they have different.
Let’s see the Prado uses a 3.0 turbo diesel (and a 4 cyl) W/5speed, the 4Runner uses a 4.0 V6 W/5speed and the GX uses a 4.6 V8 W/6speed (not to mention all three have different gear ratios). Please explain how they are the same? Again, do some research before posting.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 10-07-13 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-07-13 | 07:10 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Buckfever
I have a V8 07 4 runner. I was stopped at a light there were several cars ahead of me. There was a Hyundai Sonata behind me. A box truck was distracted and plowed into us going about 45 miles an hour. He hit the Sonata and threw her into me. Then he hit her again and she rolled off my side right rear bumper and landed next to me, then he ran into me and used me as a battering ram. The sonata and the pt cruiser in front of me were totaled. The Honda Accord in front of the pt cruiser was drivable. The girl in the Hyundai Sonata was badly injured and had to be cut out of the vehicle and carried out by stretcher to the ambulance.

I drove to work.

This is kind of a ridiculous discussion. You can not compare the structural rigidity of the BOF construction to a unibody. I might as well have been surrounded by a steel cage.
My wife was driving on the highway (at 50 mph in a 05 Limited 4Runner) and was struck from behind by new Camaro at high speed (approx 80/90 mph) which threw her into a spin and she crashed into the guard rail. She walked away without a scratch! The truck was boarder line totaled because of the crumple zone absorbing the guard rail (and the age of the vehicle). The new Camaro was totaled and the young driver was hurt.

Koz
Old 10-07-13 | 07:38 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
Let’s see the Prado uses a 3.0 turbo diesel (and a 4 cyl) W/5speed, the 4Runner uses a 4.0 V6 W/5speed and the GX uses a 4.6 V8 W/6speed (not to mention all three have different gear ratios). Please explain how they are the same? Again, do some research before posting.

Koz
Is this a joke? This discussion truly is getting ridiculous. Anyone can go back and read what I wrote. I simply and clearly said that the 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, and VF4B are used together on the 4Runner, Prado, and full-size Land Cruiser in some way shape or form.

Prado with 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, just like the 4Runner:

http://www.toyota.com.kw/English/toy...ifications.asp

Land Cruiser with 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, just like the 4Runner:

http://www.toyota.com.kw/landcruiser/specifications.asp

Is that enough "research" for you or should I continue to post more examples from more Toyota sites around the world that prove the exact same thing? The 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, and VF4B are all currently used together in the 4Runner, Prado, and even the Mac Daddy full-size Land Cruiser. Period. Now that I've upheld my end and proven you wrong, it's up to YOU to explain how they are "different". And minor differences like ratios don't count. I'm talking about major components. Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you get to be condescending, unless I missed something in the CL bylaws.
Old 10-07-13 | 07:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Guys I think we've clearly established that these vehicles have

1) some things that are totally different across platforms
2) some things that are exactly the same across platforms

let's move back to the unibody vs BOF topic
Old 10-07-13 | 07:56 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The full time 4WD is nice, but full time comes with the electric switch that locks the differential into 4H, to me that is inferior to the mechanical lever that locks you into 4WD. Not a big fan of electric 4WD or anything electric in an off road vehicle.

I believe Toyota went back to a lever activated 4WD in some 14 4Runners. It is offered on the Trail for reliabily reasons

Also, Toyota does offer the Torsen in the 4Runner range, so why are looking elsewhere?
First, the diff has nothing to do with 4H/4L, you must mean the transfer case. The electronic switch or mechanical lever is just the control method of engaging and dis-engaging the different gear ranges of the transfer case. I think the reason (my opinion) the Trail use the lever is because it has part-time 4WD where the limited has full-time 4WD that needs to sink with the electronically controlled Torsen (limited slip locking center diff). Also off-roaders want mechanical controls.

BTW - The Torsen W/full-time 4WD is FAR more versatile (and expensive) then the part-time 4WD!

Second, the Torsen W/full-time 4WD is only offered in the Limited 4Runner model as an option!

Koz
Old 10-07-13 | 08:07 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Is this a joke? This discussion truly is getting ridiculous. Anyone can go back and read what I wrote. I simply and clearly said that the 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, and VF4B are used together on the 4Runner, Prado, and full-size Land Cruiser in some way shape or form.

Prado with 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, just like the 4Runner:

http://www.toyota.com.kw/English/toy...ifications.asp

Land Cruiser with 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, just like the 4Runner:

http://www.toyota.com.kw/landcruiser/specifications.asp

Is that enough "research" for you or should I continue to post more examples from more Toyota sites around the world that prove the exact same thing? The 4.0L V6, 5-speed auto, and VF4B are all currently used together in the 4Runner, Prado, and even the Mac Daddy full-size Land Cruiser. Period. Now that I've upheld my end and proven you wrong, it's up to YOU to explain how they are "different". And minor differences like ratios don't count. I'm talking about major components. Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you get to be condescending, unless I missed something in the CL bylaws.
I stand corrected, the 4.0 is avalable for all but the GX. Thanks for the info.

Koz
Old 10-07-13 | 08:30 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

After watching an older Jeep Grand Cherokee get rear-ended by a car of all things in this video, there is no way in hell I would consider a unibody.

Old 10-07-13 | 08:34 AM
Koz

I think if you take a good look at the modern design of uni-body vehicles, you will see that they are pretty much a variation of a FOB (or evolved from). You will see a front and rear sub-frame that are reinforced with internal bracing to tie them together.

Koz
Old 10-07-13 | 09:00 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

And just to be fair, I found a side impact crash test on the Prado. Yes it rolled on it's side due to its high center of gravity, but the structural integrity of the vehicle remained intact, and it could probably be rolled back over and still be driveable.

Old 10-07-13 | 09:35 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Koz
I stand corrected, the 4.0 is avalable for all but the GX. Thanks for the info.

Koz

Actually I almost forgot!

There is a GX400.....which is exactly what is sounds like, a GX with the trusty, ubiquitous 4.0L V6 and 5-speed A750F automatic transmission.

Give the page some time to load, it is slow.

http://www.lexus.com.cn/en/GX400/default.html

I think if Toyota/Lexus thinks the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed auto are good enough for the GX, Prado, and big-daddy Land Cruiser, it's good enough for anything else they choose to put it in, including the 4Runner. The 4.0L V6 and 5-speed auto have been around for a long time and are proven in harsh environments.

I test-drove a 2014 4Runner Limited this weekend and was impressed, I liked it a lot, but the seat comfort was disappointing. The 4Runner drove nice and is nicely packaged (I liked the overhead console and the factory-standard integrated hitch). The X-REAS chassis seemed good. But the GX460 has much better seats, materials, and is quieter. So now my decision is even harder, 2014 4Runner Limited vs GX460. Do I want to spend the extra $11k.

Last edited by SecPole14; 10-07-13 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-07-13 | 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
After watching an older Jeep Grand Cherokee get rear-ended by a car of all things in this video, there is no way in hell I would consider a unibody.

Jeep Grand Cherokee rear-ended
The whole purpose of those tests were to try and crash a low vehicle into the Jeep at really high rates of speed to test if the fuel tank would explode. That GC is also three generations old at this point.

Here's a picture of a Unibody Highlander being rear ended and displaying the same damage to the rear ending car and lack of damage to the Highlander you guys have attributed to "BOF strength"

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
And just to be fair, I found a side impact crash test on the Prado. Yes it rolled on it's side due to its high center of gravity, but the structural integrity of the vehicle remained intact, and it could probably be rolled back over and still be driveable.
Again...who cares about it being drivable if you or your family are hurt or killed?

You don't want a vehicle to roll over.

Quick Reply: Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued