Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 04:14 PM
Risa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 GX470 Suspension shaking on road

Originally Posted by allcruise
hello, my 2010 gx460 has spent at least 2months in and out of the dealership for front vibration. new tires, new rims, rack and pinion replacement, front end still shakes, lexus should own up to a problem.

richard
you are absolutely correct
I spoke with the executive offices in California vp in charge
he seemed sympathetic then instead of calling me back sends me a form letter stating that this is common for this vehicle and does not interfere with the Lexus high quality of
standards and that of course the $65,000 is warranted
What a joke
Lexus has now turned into all the rest of the car companies
This was my third Lexus and my last
They won't own up to it and will probably fix it next year or whatever and then tell
us how wonderful everything is next year and they fixed the suspension and then we can spend another $65,000 if we want to get something fixed
Lexus is a total disappointment and Toyota Japan ought to be aware of this and be
concerned as many other car companies are doing a much better job of late
not to mention other car companies don't hide recalls then get nailed
This vehicle should not ride like this don't car what anyone says
I hope it doesn't come back to haunt them
They are total jerks and now have become worse then american car companies
obviously their engineers don't have the slightest clue about how to construct
a vehicle of this sort
did you even resolve the issue or improve it at all?
thanks
Old 06-04-11, 09:02 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sold my GX460

I had 2010 GX460 and local Lexus was willing to switch me to 2011 for $2k since they were not able to correct wheel vibration (+shaking). 2011 was better, but still not Lexus level I have expected. Since there is a shortage of GXes now due Japan earthquake my Lexus dealer was very interested in buying it so I have sold it last week. Driving an Acura MDX now.
Old 06-05-11, 08:27 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would write to Toyota/Lexus corporate and if there is no resolution you should start the lemon law procedure. Be sure to keep good records and check with your state's lemon law, they differ state to state. I had a GM that they had to buy back at the full purchase price (after one year, 18K miles).

BTW - My GX rides extremely smooth and is whisper quiet. I could not be more pleased with this vehicle.

Koz
Old 06-05-11, 08:45 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Risa, Well, like I mentioned before, perhaps there are a few out of the ones sold that you just happend to get. If everyone had that problem, there would be a nationwide recall as everyone would be complaining. Based on what you have told us, it seems real bad.

Like Kox said, I'd start the lemon law procedure as it seems you got that one of those bad red circles for Suspension in the Consumer Reports Car Buying guide.

I wouldn't generalize this vibration issue with all the GX 460s
Old 06-06-11, 01:52 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Risa
you are absolutely correct
I spoke with the executive offices in California vp in charge
he seemed sympathetic then instead of calling me back sends me a form letter stating that this is common for this vehicle and does not interfere with the Lexus high quality of
standards and that of course the $65,000 is warranted
What a joke
Lexus has now turned into all the rest of the car companies
This was my third Lexus and my last
They won't own up to it and will probably fix it next year or whatever and then tell
us how wonderful everything is next year and they fixed the suspension and then we can spend another $65,000 if we want to get something fixed
Lexus is a total disappointment and Toyota Japan ought to be aware of this and be
concerned as many other car companies are doing a much better job of late
not to mention other car companies don't hide recalls then get nailed
This vehicle should not ride like this don't car what anyone says
I hope it doesn't come back to haunt them
They are total jerks and now have become worse then american car companies
obviously their engineers don't have the slightest clue about how to construct
a vehicle of this sort
did you even resolve the issue or improve it at all?
thanks
Risa, if your quoted words represent how you are approaching this then I doubt you will receive satisfaction and I expect that Toyota/Lexus will be unlikely to cooperate further. As you have already "written them off" by describing them as "total jerks" it is obvious that you have made up your mind and things will only get worse and not better. At best Lexus may mollify a disgruntled customer whom they are unlikely to retain as a customer. At worst ... well, that's up to you ... how badly do you want this to end?

You have posted your comments expecting response from the members of this forum so please consider mine. Rather than being purposeful and cooperative, you have "painted yourself into a corner" as you consider Lexus to be "a total disappointment" whose engineers "don't have the slightest clue about how to construct a vehicle of this sort" ... thanks for your compliment on the collective judgement of the members of this forum who made the same decision as you. Please explain how being so antagonistic and defamatory can help your case ...you paid $65,000 so don't those "total jerks" at Lexus owe you a reasonable response ... to a reasonable expectation?

On second thought ... don't bother. You have already announced that your Lexus will be your last. My opinion is that both you and Lexus will be better off once that happens. Thanks for asking ... what? Oh, sorry ... you were just venting ... my mistake!
Regards,

SaniDel

P. S. For an example of how you should have handled this, may I suggest you consider how Lexus replaced our LX for free or other examples of good customer service we have discussed in this forum?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html
Old 06-11-11, 09:03 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email the gm of Lexus mark_templin@Lexus.com and vp of marketing david_nordstrom@toyota.com

ASK them for help. Don't *****. I've gotten in touch with both directly at those emails.
Old 06-11-11, 04:15 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I had 2010 GX460 and local Lexus was willing to switch me to 2011 for $2k since they were not able to correct wheel vibration (+shaking). 2011 was better, but still not Lexus level I have expected. Since there is a shortage of GXes now due Japan earthquake my Lexus dealer was very interested in buying it so I have sold it last week. Driving an Acura MDX now.
is that the reason you sold this? to drive an acura?
Old 06-11-11, 08:20 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
is that the reason you sold this? to drive an acura?
Yes, the pleasure of driving the GX due to fighting with shaking issues was just gone. I just got the MDX as replacement. Looking at MDX... handling is better as expected. It is also a little bumpy but due more sporty susepnsion. Big negative is quality of interior. I have to say GX's is superior in every aspect.
Old 06-12-11, 06:36 AM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

If we're looking for an additional "n" in this equation from what I count as an "n" of 2 or 3 on this string who have described a problem, my 460 was perfect from the outset; not a shake, rattle or unexpected bump, far better than I expected from a truck with a body-on-frame design, and I have owned and driven more than a few; now over 5K on this one. Quality of the ride in this vehicle is superb, in the city or on the highway, and fit and finish is excellent. It is better than my previous GX 470, and almost comparable to my previous 3 RX's. It's not the same as (but not necessarily "worse" than) my wife's BMW sedan, nor my previous M5 or 525, which were not trucks. Go figure.
Old 06-13-11, 07:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
If we're looking for an additional "n" in this equation from what I count as an "n" of 2 or 3 on this string who have described a problem, my 460 was perfect from the outset; not a shake, rattle or unexpected bump, far better than I expected from a truck with a body-on-frame design, and I have owned and driven more than a few; now over 5K on this one. Quality of the ride in this vehicle is superb, in the city or on the highway, and fit and finish is excellent. It is better than my previous GX 470, and almost comparable to my previous 3 RX's. It's not the same as (but not necessarily "worse" than) my wife's BMW sedan, nor my previous M5 or 525, which were not trucks. Go figure.
Well said, my experience is almost exact!

Koz
Old 06-13-11, 04:36 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck rides great even with A/T's on it - but I guess my expectations were lower. My GX 460 is a truck... not a car. If I wanted to drive a floating barge I'd buy a Buick.
Old 07-19-11, 03:38 AM
carbon0
Driver School Candidate

electric system doesn it
Old 07-19-11, 09:20 AM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I've been a member of this forum for a few months now but never posted until now. I too am having issues with shaking. So far they have replaced all 5 tires, 4wheel road force balaced, adjusted rack n pinion, although the shaking isn't as prominent the gx still drives and sounds like something is engaged that shouldn't be. I know this is a truck based suv but my 2011 Tundra Limited rides and drives better than this. I've contacted Lexus Headquarters in California with a deligent response and I am awaiting further contact with them to hopefully come to a conclusion. How is everyone else doing with the same issues?
Old 07-19-11, 11:13 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jon:

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject and it appears to be a vehicle-specific issue rather than a systemic issue. You have read from those who have the problem and those who have not, but the problem is very real for those who have it. Those who have the problem have reported their progress, but unfortunately some felt forced to "throw in the towel" and they are no longer GX 460 owners.

In my opinion only, there is a middle ground between living with the problem and capitulating where Lexus owners expect Toyota to make good on their promise of the "pursuit of perfection". Having owned ten Lexus vehicles and getting two of the ten as replacements for defective vehicles I know what we can expect. The key is to be nice, but be firm and to make it their problem to solve. Holding a Lexus loaner vehicle 'hostage' while they fix the problem is helpful ... we threatened to drive their loaner across the country while waiting for our LX replacement! ;-)

Of the ten Lexus vehicles we have owned, only the LS rode better and quieter than the GX 460. You'll have to take my word for that, but my intent is to assure you that you can expect a luxury SUV that is really a truck to behave as if it were a luxury sedan. You should expect Lexus to make yours as good as ours.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-19-11, 12:59 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

SaniDel Thank you for those words of encouragement. The Rx the dealer loaned me as my Gx was worked on was nice, but really missed the GX and was glad to get It back after two weeks only to find all the same issues persisted minus the frequency in the shaking of the wheel. I truly hope this issue isn't one that will span months. (but something tells me it's going too) The GX just hit 3,000 miles and thus far all have been problematic. I'm frustrated in that no one can give me any answers, I just want it fixed. The gentleman I had spoken with in California was going to speak with the regional technician and schedule a time were he can come to my home or I bring the Gx to the dealership for him to diagnose. I can tell you everyone around me is tired of me complaining about the car, and the ones that arn't are informing me of thier feelings towards what they feel was a bad decision to purchase the Gx. So I will keep you all posted as the saga continues.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues