GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 06:34 AM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the Loaner would be the LX. Be sure to read SaniDel posts' about keeping Loaner rides 'hostage'!
Not sure what this one will be. Last one was an Rx. That is great advice and will put it to use if need be.
Kinda funny, but if you look at Consumer Reports for the GX, it got a bunch of solid blacks on the Drivetrain. Although this was for the 470, might be an indicator of your vibration issues. As some have said and you have said, point them to the driveshaft.

So, when you test drove it, it didn't have the vibrations?
I did check consumer reports before buying but the Gx also had a do not buy warning at that time. When I test drove the Gx it had just come off the truck as the interior was still wrapped for shipping...this was also back in March and was sleeting something wicked so I truly didn't notice any vibs at that time. Really didn't feel until about 300 miles or so.
Old 07-26-11, 08:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine is also vibrating between 60-70 on highway and its quite variable and minor but its starting to be a nuissance.
Old 07-27-11, 06:01 AM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

The GX was taken by flatbed this morning and a 2011 RX given as loaner. Tomorrow the regional tech and Lexus Reps will look at the GX.
Old 07-28-11, 03:02 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Well Budick Lexus called today and scheduled an early morning drive tomorrow with Lexus Rep. at my house to drive around the roads were I live. They will flatbed my GX back to me and pick up their Loaner. The service manager basically said they are going to say there is nothing wrong with the car. I know there is!!! I'm so sick of this!!! So I suggested to the service manager should I trade for another or something else and they said let's not jump to conclusions. What should I do?
Old 07-28-11, 06:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are confident that your truck will present the problems on roads you know, take them up on their offer. Think about the route you will take, the speed you will drive and whatever it takes to make it happen ... and hope that it does!

You know how the police interrogate a crime with multiple suspects ... one at a time and without a chance to compare notes? If more than one person arrives, take each one out separately and before they have a chance to talk. Yeah, that will be awkward, but if it is more than one of them ... well, it could be their wordS against your word.

Meanwhile, park their loaner in your garage with the door down and locked! Better yet ... arrange to go to the dealership by other means, leave their loaner home and be prepared to call a cab to get home if you are not satisfied. As long as they have your GX and you have their RX, it's a standoff. Although you are holding each other's property, it is no more likely that they will 'repossess' their RX on your property than you will do the same for your GX on their property. However, if they flatbed your GX to your house, but you refuse to release their RX in exchange ... well, that could get awkward so it is best to avoid the situation if you can.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I'm not a lawyer ... although I play one in real life, but I am a good Lexus customer and I've used this twice to force the issue of replacing a defective unit, both of them LX's. It is the "nuclear option" and there is a risk of it backfiring ... if push comes to shove your position is not sustainable as they own the RX and you own the GX so better to yield gracefully before someone calls the police, but then it is time to call your lawyer.
Old 07-28-11, 06:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

keep in mind the gx is worth more than a rx, so its not worth to play the hostage game...just contact your lawyer and review your states lemon law
Old 07-29-11, 01:54 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the suggestions! I greatly appreciated them! So this morning the Gx was returned via flatbed. The Service Manager from Burdick Lexus and the Regional Tech accompanied the cars return for a "test" run with me. Of course they told me everything I was feeling was typical for this truck. According to the Service Tech and Service Manger apparently these issues are worse in GX's equipped with air suspension and I should be glad mine doesn’t have that setup. Both gentlemen did however acknowledge that these characteristics should not be taking place in a vehicle of this caliber. (Wait a minute did you just contradict yourselves?) Lexus is currently looking for a "fix" for this problem as it is a high level of interest. Bushings were mentioned for both the frame and steering. Lexus used bushing to solve the same issues with LX’s. However there is nothing offered at this time for GX’s. When and if this ever materializes they will notify all GX owners……So the final outcome: Continue to drive our GX’s as they are!........Not sure how I feel about that. Kinda feel like myself and other owners just were “taken”. This was number three they tried to fix the car NYS says four before making a Lemon claim. Wonder if they will settle for three?
Old 07-29-11, 08:24 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>Lexus is currently looking for a "fix" for this problem as it is a high level of interest. Bushings were mentioned for both the frame and steering. Lexus used bushing to solve the same issues with LX’s. However there is nothing offered at this time for GX’s. When and if this ever materializes they will notify all GX owners……

You think this will be a recall? And isn't the lemon law only good if they've tried to fix your car several times unsuccessfully? They haven't touched your car yet.
Old 07-30-11, 05:07 AM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

You think this will be a recall? And isn't the lemon law only good if they've tried to fix your car several times unsuccessfully? They haven't touched your car yet.
I do think this will be a recall. It would be nice if it was sooner than later. The Gx has been worked on three times all three times it's had four wheel road force balance with alignments. The second time they replaced all 5 tires and adjusted the rack and pinion. But it is what it is.
Old 07-30-11, 08:54 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you get the impression that a majority of GX460's sold by your dealers are having the same vibration problems?

My GX is vibration free just like my previous 2004 GX470. I have the Michelins, which replaced the factory tires the day of delivery, as part of my sale agreement with the dealer.
Old 07-30-11, 12:34 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Default sell it

Sell your while there is still shortage and the dealer will pay premium for yours. My 2010 and 2011 had vibrations. Beside the vibs the truck was perfect, but vibs killed pleasure of driving $55K truck. Glad I am not driving the POS anymore.
Old 07-30-11, 01:16 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

I agree with Luke's advice. Now is the best time to sell ... assuming you have something else to buy or at least to drive.

Nonetheless, not all GX 460's have this problem and ours for one has never had the problem. As it is a unit-specific problem and is not systemic to the model you should expect the same smooth and quiet ride that we get. However, it may be necessary to replace your vehicle as Lexus seems to be having trouble fixing those units that are affected. Judging by the number of forum members who have done so the problem may not be repairable ... not all vehicle problems can be fixed!

You may be able to sell your unit now at a good price and replace it later with a 2012 as a 'package' contract. We replaced Lexus vehicles twice, but the replacements were available, unlike the current situation with the GX.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-30-11, 04:23 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Nonetheless, not all GX 460's have this problem and ours for one has never had the problem. As it is a unit-specific problem and is not systemic to the model you should expect the same smooth and quiet ride that we get.

I wonder if it is certain VIN's, but I from the looks of things, it is both the 2010 and 2011 and you'd think most of the drivetrain parts of the same. but who really knows, it could be an engineer forgot to tighten a bolt in 100/1000 of these units.
Old 07-30-11, 08:55 PM
JonsGX460
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Luke's advice. Now is the best time to sell ... assuming you have something else to buy or at least to drive.
I agree! I would love to trade this in and stay with the Lexus brand but as stated the lack of GX inventory puts a stop to that. This is a leased vehicle and I usually trade early approx 6months so I may just suck it up and wait. (Only 4 months old though so that's a long wait) Rx to small and "car-like" for my taste, LX is beautiful but to large for me......so stuck in a "rut". I also don't want to drive away with another GX with vib issues.
Old 07-31-11, 07:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by frank69m
I wonder if it is certain VIN's, but I from the looks of things, it is both the 2010 and 2011 and you'd think most of the drivetrain parts of the same. but who really knows, it could be an engineer forgot to tighten a bolt in 100/1000 of these units.
If our experience is any indication, it is not a problem due only to early-production. Our 2010 GX 460 has a build date of November 2009 and is serial number 518. It was available at our dealership for us to test drive in late-December 2009 and we purchased it in early-February 2010.

So, if Lexus could build them right in late-2009 they can build them right now. Something has changed that affects certain vehicles, but not all vehicles.
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues