GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 09:08 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dblake
i have the vibration problem as well. I had a 2010 with the same problem. The dealership couldn't fish it. So, they made me a good deal on a new 2011. Guess what.....same problem. They are escalating it now.
some owners here have it very bad.
I have random subtle shaking in mine. Cant figure it out. Waiting for lexus to issue a service bulletin on this
Old 12-06-11, 09:24 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I must be lucky. No vibrations in the GX and virtually zero wind noise from the LS (just a lot of brake dust).
Old 12-08-11, 08:27 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Some may remember my posts about vibs. I had the 2010 with the issue. Dealer made me a great deal and got the 2011. Also it had issues. Sold it back to the dealer earlier this year and couldn't be happier as enjoyment of driving the GX was gone.

Rims and tires were replaced. Tried different brands of tires with no difference. Also wheels were balanced at two lexus dealers and other tire places with no help.

If you have the issue, sell the POS. GX460 was the first Lexus product I was very dissopointed with.
Old 12-19-11, 08:49 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Some may remember my posts about vibs. I had the 2010 with the issue. Dealer made me a great deal and got the 2011. Also it had issues. Sold it back to the dealer earlier this year and couldn't be happier as enjoyment of driving the GX was gone.

Rims and tires were replaced. Tried different brands of tires with no difference. Also wheels were balanced at two lexus dealers and other tire places with no help.

If you have the issue, sell the POS. GX460 was the first Lexus product I was very dissopointed with.
What did you end up buying? I don't want to be in your shoes as I am looking for an SUV now and the GX is on the list.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-11, 09:03 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
What did you end up buying? I don't want to be in your shoes as I am looking for an SUV now and the GX is on the list.

Thanks.
Luke purchased an Acura MDX...
Old 12-19-11, 09:49 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 2012 GX and i have zero issues. Very nice ride quality, we drove almost 1500 miles in the car on many different roads and weather conditions. I guess the shaking issue was only with few 2011's/.
Old 12-19-11, 07:00 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New 2012 Premium here. No shaking/vibrations whatsoever. Great vehicle. Silky smooth. Wife has an RX and now she wants to drive my GX all of the time. I really didn't get how much of a car the RX is compared to the GX until now.
Old 12-20-11, 06:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
New 2012 Premium here. No shaking/vibrations whatsoever. Great vehicle. Silky smooth. Wife has an RX and now she wants to drive my GX all of the time. I really didn't get how much of a car the RX is compared to the GX until now.
Thanks for confirming that this problem is vehicle specific and not a design issue. It is very much a problem for anyone who owns it, but not every GX 460 has the problem, which is why Lexus is dealing with it on a case-by case basis ... including doing whatever it takes to solve the problem up to buy-backs and vehicle replacements.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Love your comment about the RX being such a car! We've purchased several Lexus cars (LS, SC and RX), but we keep coming back to their trucks.
Old 12-21-11, 06:05 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I told my wife this "issue" couple days ago but she said "Nah, I like my RX". We'll see...

What made you buy the GX while you have the RX already? What else did you test beside the GX?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-11, 07:06 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I have separate vehicles for many reasons the main one being convenience.

Her RX is an excellent vehicle but I absolutely prefer the truck chassis and it seems she does, too.

I test drove a FX35, and the X5. Both were good vehicles but I preferred the FX35 over the X5. The interior of the X5 is dated and I've owned BMW's in the past and had flashbacks of the never ending issues.

The GX won by a landslide. I drove it last and knew it was mine as soon as I drove it 3 miles on my test drive. Interior is superior, drive train is legendary, and the subtle exterior styling fits my preferences best.

Thanks

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I told my wife this "issue" couple days ago but she said "Nah, I like my RX". We'll see...

What made you buy the GX while you have the RX already? What else did you test beside the GX?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-11, 10:38 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a 2012 GX 460 Premium. I feel a small amount of vibration when the car is in the lower gears and is starting to move from rest. Once I hit 20 mph it's gone. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. Any ideas on what it could be?

There is no vibration at crusing speeds on the highway.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-11, 11:09 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, your Lexus dealer put Toyota 4Runner rims on a new GX460 and then sold it to you? Good grief, wait till corporate hears about this one! Find another dealer.
Old 12-31-11, 05:42 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As of now I'm at 5000miles, no vibrations of any kind, even at 80mph. Still on OEM tires. So problem exists somewhere else.
Old 01-02-12, 06:12 AM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasldnh-have the dealer check road force

My vibration was at highway speeds. I have a 2010 gx premium and had an engineering team brought in to try to solve the problem. They put new rims (Lexus gx rims not 4 runner) and another set of bridgestones. Every 5-8k miles, the vibration returned . The road force was consistently off on the tires enough to be concerning. Lexus finally agreed to try michelins around 30k miles. I have put 8k on the car and the vibrations ave ceased. The ride is how it is supposed to be...finally. While some people may not be affected by tires, it is a good place to start. The tires that are on your car could have been sitting in a warehouse a long time before they mad it on your car or there could be a decent enough defect in the tire that visually you can not see it, but it is affecting the ride. Make sure they do a complete road force test. Sme dealers do a basic balance and others have the ability to balance multiple points ( there is a name but it is escaping me. The Japanese team originally did the advanced balance on their equip and it was good for about 6k miles before it started again). I will tell you to be persistent in getting to the bottom of it and getting Lexus customer service involved if you are not getting anywhere with the dealer. It took me almost 18 months, but so far the ride is finally what I thought I was buying. Good luck!
Old 01-02-12, 09:13 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Just got back from the dealer. Two wheels were out of balance. The ride is so much better now after they did a road force balance on all four wheels. They also did a wheel alignment.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues