GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 03:47 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Just got back from the dealer. Two wheels were out of balance. The ride is so much better now after they did a road force balance on all four wheels. They also did a wheel alignment.
Congratulations! Your vehicle appears not to have whatever defect is causing this problem for other owners. As we have read, they have tried many ways to correct the problem without success. The cause of the problem remains unsolved.

For those who have vehicles that can not be made to ride as smooth, Lexus will offer a buy-back or a replacement ... who could resist that?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-04-12, 06:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnorling
So, your Lexus dealer put Toyota 4Runner rims on a new GX460 and then sold it to you? Good grief, wait till corporate hears about this one! Find another dealer.
i will take the 4runner rims over the current stock gx rims anyday!
Old 02-22-12, 04:53 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front seat vibration

I've been hearing some kind of a rattle, and I thought it was coming from the dash. Just found out today that it was the front passenger seat; the backrest vibrates and makes a faint noise whenever the car hits a bump. Is this normal? My previous car (10+ year-old ES300) didn't have this issue. I'll be heading to the Stealer for service on Friday, if it is a problem then I'll get them to take a look at it.

My seatbelt fastener sometimes rattles too, I guess it needs to be replaced as well!
Old 02-23-12, 04:07 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know my passenger seat has some sort of rattle in it like yours, I just have not gone back to the dealer yet. Almost sounds like it may be the door as well. Don't want to mess with it till the next scheduled maintenance. Let us know what they find out.
Old 02-23-12, 07:48 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same rattle in my passenger seat. They have offered to change out my seat, but I haven't done it. It's worse in cold weather. I don't notice it in the warm weather...
Old 02-23-12, 09:12 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Any rattle or dash/door/seat noise will be more noticeable in cold weather. Also the GX is so quiet any noise seems to be much louder. What I can tell you is I have had the Stealer address noises in other Lexus vehicles and they were able to fix it. One of them required a "dash kit" that took a whole day to install and the whole dash was taken apart. I got in the vehicle one day and heard this weird noise and could not figure out what it was or where it was coming from. It turned out to be the whisper quiet fan running under the seat for the ventilated seats! Another one that drove me crazy was the alarm for the third row seats. While loading the vehicle with camping/trailering gear I must have bumped the switch for the seat and it barely opened (could not even see it).

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 02-25-12 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 12:42 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

only rattle we hear inside is occasionally from back when we go over a big bump, but it may be the stroller...almost sounds like the noise in a yellow school bus going over a big bump
Old 02-24-12, 03:19 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from the Stealer. Regarding the front passenger seat vibration: the advisor said they've compared my car with a few to theirs on hand, and all of them had the backrest "flexing" (as he puts it); therefore, they concluded that my seat problem was within "tolerable range" (again, in his words). He advised me to monitor the seat until the next service, which will be sometime in September/October, and if it worsens then they'll probably replace the whole seat. I guess my ears are too good, and I'm hearing things that I'm not supposed to hear!
Old 03-04-12, 01:21 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to test a 2012 gx in Tustin Lexus yesterday and noticed the steering wheel tilted slightly to the left, but did not get a chance to driver over 60. Will do another test drive again...
Old 03-04-12, 01:37 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shaolin
Went to test a 2012 gx in Tustin Lexus yesterday and noticed the steering wheel tilted slightly to the left, but did not get a chance to driver over 60. Will do another test drive again...
Might have been out of alignment. Mine came in out of alignment and I went straight back to the dealer and had them align it.
Old 03-04-12, 08:15 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drove a 2010 premium today. The gx had about under 30k, and it had slight vibrate - very min, ans the steering wheel is also tilted. I wouldn't know the different if I didnt read this thread...
What's weird is the it had hankook tires and Michelin spare; all the new one on lot has bridgestone...weird.
Old 03-05-12, 05:47 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Test drove a 2010 premium today. The gx had about under 30k, and it had slight vibrate - very min, ans the steering wheel is also tilted. I wouldn't know the different if I didnt read this thread...
What's weird is the it had hankook tires and Michelin spare; all the new one on lot has bridgestone...weird.
Those are not factory tires. Before buying you should insist the steering wheel is perfectly centered and vibration is eliminated.

Koz
Old 03-05-12, 05:57 AM
Khandfw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody try airsoft pellets or dyna beads for the vibration issue

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1...tire+balancing
Old 03-05-12, 10:25 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

They either came with Bridgestone's or Michelin's from the factory. Mine came with Michelin's...
Old 08-03-12, 10:32 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at highway speeds

I have just over 11K miles on my 2011 and now notice steering wheel vibration & slight shake at 70 mph. The passenger can also feel it. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by Tnorling; 08-03-12 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues