GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 08:35 PM
Pnoujeim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Issues

Start having vibration (only at 100kms per hour) at 16000kms. When I went to check this issue (took my car 5 times to my dealer!!!) they confirmed that I have not one tire issue but on 4 tires. Of course they won't take any responsibilities nor providing a feed back or putted in writing. All we got is OEM tire issue. So you purchase a car from Lexus and you must deal with OEM tires!!! Anyone having same issue? Any good tire brand to use instead of Dunlop? Please let me know as this is a safety issue and must replace my tires urgently. Btw, I've calibrated my tires 3 times and still the same. Tks
Old 11-21-13, 06:07 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnoujeim
Start having vibration (only at 100kms per hour) at 16000kms. When I went to check this issue (took my car 5 times to my dealer!!!) they confirmed that I have not one tire issue but on 4 tires. Of course they won't take any responsibilities nor providing a feed back or putted in writing. All we got is OEM tire issue. So you purchase a car from Lexus and you must deal with OEM tires!!! Anyone having same issue? Any good tire brand to use instead of Dunlop? Please let me know as this is a safety issue and must replace my tires urgently. Btw, I've calibrated my tires 3 times and still the same. Tks
Find a new dealer.
Old 11-21-13, 10:39 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen people on this forum (I read most of the pages) with this issue before and good news (?) it's normal. It sucks but it's normal lol. If you can find a place that does "road force" balancing they can clean it up.
Old 11-22-13, 07:04 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

I've had a vibration from day 1 on my GX, I've had the tires road force balanced 3 times, hasn't helped a bit, they put new wheels on it, balanced again, didn't help at all. I've kind of narrowed it down to when the tires are cold, once they are up to operating tempature the vibration goes away. I'm leaning towards it's the tires but I'm having a hard time dishing out the money for new tires since my tires with 21K on them still have a lot of tread left.
Old 11-22-13, 07:14 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I've had a vibration from day 1 on my GX, I've had the tires road force balanced 3 times, hasn't helped a bit, they put new wheels on it, balanced again, didn't help at all. I've kind of narrowed it down to when the tires are cold, once they are up to operating tempature the vibration goes away. I'm leaning towards it's the tires but I'm having a hard time dishing out the money for new tires since my tires with 21K on them still have a lot of tread left.
Sorry if I am stating the obvious (if you already know this), but there is a TSIB for vibration. It entails changes to the preload in your steering rack AND in some (or maybe all - I don't remember) cases, new tires as well.
Old 11-22-13, 07:55 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caha14
Sorry if I am stating the obvious (if you already know this), but there is a TSIB for vibration. It entails changes to the preload in your steering rack AND in some (or maybe all - I don't remember) cases, new tires as well.
Do you have a copy of it? Where can I find it?
Old 11-22-13, 08:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I thought I didn't have it; then I found this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7401027-post5.html
Old 11-22-13, 09:38 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

It says right in the TSB that if vibration stops after warm up do nothing, temporary flat spotting of tires. I will confess that I didnt read all 33 pages though.
Old 11-22-13, 11:27 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Found it! I hope the link works.

I looked it up using the word 'flutter', as I remember that was on a similar bulletin back in my GX470 days, and voilà...

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attach...sb-0020-12.pdf
Awesome!!! Thank you so much. Gotta love forums.
Old 11-25-13, 10:53 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnoujeim
I feel yeah.

Same problem here, 110-125 Kmh. Did the road force and that sorted it out for like 3k kilometers and vibration is back again but not as bad as it use to.

dealer is plain useless. If you are to replace the tires, then go for Michelins.
Old 11-25-13, 01:26 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

I thought I didn't have it; then I found this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7401027-post5.html
Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-14, 04:50 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just noticed the same rattle in the front passenger seat when unoccupied. It rattles over every joint in the concrete pavement. Has anyone had success taking it back to the dealer for a remedy?
Old 01-07-14, 07:51 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I've noticed this in my '14 as well, passenger seat headrest vibrates a lot. It doesn't make enough noise to bother me. I wonder if this is due to the active headrest design.

I'm certainly not going to take it in for a little occasional rattle here or there....too much to go wrong if the dealer has to disassemble dash trim, door trim, etc. I'm afraid they'll make it worse. I can live with it.
Old 02-06-14, 12:09 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Taking my GX to the dealer on Monday to check out the rattle in the front passenger seat. The wife drives it herself and unoccupied, the front passenger seat rattles over any joint in the roadway. Its such a quiet vehicle you really notice it. I can get it to stop rattling by applying a lateral push by hand to the side of the seat back as I drive it, so I think something is loose in the seat back or rails.
Old 03-10-14, 03:30 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration when braking at high speed?

I purchased a set of new LTX MS2 tires back in October and a week ago a got a nail on the right front tire, specifically the side wall so they couldn't fix it so they replaced the tire with a new one. Now when I step on the brakes at 60 mph, the steering wheel vibrates. Can the new tire be causing that? I looked at the weights and one set of weights is taped kind of crooked, can the balancing cause it too?

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues