GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 08:54 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
It is amazing the issues that a bad batch of tires can cause. Glad you got it sorted out! Did you go with the P or LT Nitto G2s?
I forget now, I will go look at it tomorrow when I am playing with Techstream on it as well.
Old 04-07-19, 10:35 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't seem to locate where the tires are marked as P or LT. I know that the size doesn't say LT or P in it.
Old 04-08-19, 10:07 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxxr
So, I was thinking the steering rack spring was maybe having issues with the Falken Wildpeak, being that they are pretty soft on the sidewalk like the Bridgestone duelers.

I have had very good luck with Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s on my 100 series Landcruiser (on the 3rd set now), so I called the Discount Tire manager and asked if he would give us credit on the Wildpeaks toward a set of Nitro TG’s.

He agreed and we swapped them out 2 days later, and all I can say is that it is a night and day difference!

The steering wheel flutter is gone on all road surfaces and speeds that used to cause a flutter before.

We have put 5k miles on them now and they are just as good as when new.

The only thing I did notice is a bit more road noise vs. the wildpeaks, but I will gladly take that with zero flutter of the steering wheel.
Gxxr - do you see you first or second row headrests or visors vibrating with the new tires?

I do (minor), but otherwise can’t feel anything even at higher highway speeds so I assumed it was because of the body on frame design. If you don’t have those symptoms then I need another wheel balance!
Old 04-11-19, 03:51 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Vibration at idle in gear

2019 Premium here. Just under 2000 miles on the clock. It just turned to spring here in PA and with that, the climate control is being used differently than what it was during the colder days. Not using seat warmers, AC being used more, etc. Noticeable vibration when GX is in drive or reverse but at idle. I’ve researched this and it appears to be common, that you will get the vibration at a certain rpm, but then it will stop once the tach increases or decreases ever so slightly. Like so touchy that I noticed it will stop vibrating if I turn the seat warmer or seat cooler on, and the vibration comes back when turned off. Wouldnt think something as small as a seat warmer would impact the rpm of a V8, but what do I know. In any event, seems to be an ECU issue and a simple adjustment of the rpm at idle should be a fix, but I haven’t seen any recent resolution or fix to this on the webs, and for those who have gone back to the dealer, they seem to say this is “normal”. Seems like a weird issue for any car, let alone a new Lexus. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-19, 08:53 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Doesn’t seem normal, but it may depend on what you consider a vibration. The engine does shift from higher rpm’s to lower at a stop in gear depending on conditions but I don’t notice or consider any change as a vibration.
Old 04-12-19, 04:01 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by caesosa
Doesn’t seem normal, but it may depend on what you consider a vibration. The engine does shift from higher rpm’s to lower at a stop in gear depending on conditions but I don’t notice or consider any change as a vibration.
Thanks for the response. It’s definitely noticeable. My Tundra certainly doesn’t do this. Previous 4 Runner and Highlanders haven’t either. I am hoping the ECU needs to learn something now that the sweat warmers won’t be used as much and the AC will be kicking in more. I will tell dealer next time.
Old 04-12-19, 07:27 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

2018 Premium here, also in PA. Your issue does not sound normal and I've not experienced this. I can detect the AC compressor cycling (like all cars) but get zero indication of vibration.

Incidentally, I have driven several new GX460's--from 2017 to 2019. About half of them had a perceptible slight steering wheel vibration at different speeds. Mine is so smooth and vibration-free it might as well be RWD.

Take your car to the dealer and make them make it perfect.
Old 04-12-19, 07:34 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Mine sometimes has a very slightly rough low idle. If it kicks up 100rpm it goes away completely. But mine is a 2011 and yours is a 2019.
Old 04-12-19, 08:15 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
2018 Premium here, also in PA. Your issue does not sound normal and I've not experienced this. I can detect the AC compressor cycling (like all cars) but get zero indication of vibration.

Incidentally, I have driven several new GX460's--from 2017 to 2019. About half of them had a perceptible slight steering wheel vibration at different speeds. Mine is so smooth and vibration-free it might as well be RWD.

Take your car to the dealer and make them make it perfect.
Thanks for the context and insight. Appreciated!
Old 04-12-19, 08:17 AM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Mine sometimes has a very slightly rough low idle. If it kicks up 100rpm it goes away completely. But mine is a 2011 and yours is a 2019.
Thank you. It does seem odd, but even more odd is this seems to be common.
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 09:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

My '15 does this from day 1 and still does it now at 44k miles. Sometimes when the rpm drops to 500-550 it vibrates but it smoothes out at 600 or so.

My service director said the idle rpm cannot be manually adjusted.
Craigyyy (04-12-19)
Old 04-12-19, 09:16 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
My '15 does this from day 1 and still does it now at 44k miles. Sometimes when the rpm drops to 500-550 it vibrates but it smoothes out at 600 or so.

On my brief research one solution I found was to clean the throttle body. Obviously this solution wouldn't work for you or Mr. Borgs with brand new cars with new clean throttle bodies and sensors so I wonder if it would apply to me.

If only we could adjust the idle, probably just 50rpm or less I think it would be cured. I was tempted to try to get a mechanic to adjust this for me or do it myself, but I was worried about opening up a can of worms. Sounds like that's not an option so that's one more solution off the list.

It's been like this for a long time for me, but it never really bothers me enough to take any action. Again, I subscribe to ain't broke don't fix it. But I'd understand that this would be particularly irritating on a new car.
Old 04-12-19, 04:37 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Boggles the mind. It sounds like a bumble bee bumping into the window.
Old 04-12-19, 04:40 PM
Borgs
Rookie

On my brief research one solution I found was to clean the throttle body. Obviously this solution wouldn't work for you or Mr. Borgs with brand new cars with new clean throttle bodies and sensors so I wonder if it would apply to me.

If only we could adjust the idle, probably just 50rpm or less I think it would be cured. I was tempted to try to get a mechanic to adjust this for me or do it myself, but I was worried about opening up a can of worms. Sounds like that's not an option so that's one more solution off the list.

It's been like this for a long time for me, but it never really bothers me enough to take any action. Again, I subscribe to ain't broke don't fix it. But I'd understand that this would be particularly irritating on a new car.
I will ask the dealer. But I am assuming the answer will be what you got. It’s amazing. I sure hope I can get used to it...
Old 04-12-19, 09:44 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you able to get a quick video of the rpm needle when it is making the vibration. Also, the water bottle test in the center console helps, this way we can compare to see if the vibration is similar to others or of this is an isolated incident.
Acrad (04-13-19)

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues