GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 09:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allcruise

Went to dealer, looked at other gx460 chromes.

Found that my car, bought new from lexus dealer, has 2009 4runner chrome wheels.

Of course other rims were balancing out, but the rims were not correct.
Waiting to see, what dealer;s next step is. Are michelin tires any better for a smooth ride.
FWIW, some folks prefer the 4Runner wheels.

I exchanged my stock GX 460 wheels for chromed ones.

While conversing with the owner of the shop, I discovered that the GX
460 wheels are different than the 4Runner wheels.

Had I known that, I would have gotten the 4Runner wheels for my GX 460.

I had 4Runner wheels on my GX 470

~ Cap
Old 07-07-10, 03:15 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

here is an update. Went to dealer, looked at other gx460 chromes.
Found that my car, bought new from lexus dealer, has 2009 4runner chrome wheels.
Of course other rims were balancing out, but the rims were not correct.
Waiting to see, what dealer;s next step is. Are michelin tires any better for a smooth ride.
Yes, the Michelin's are a better tire and if you can get them swapped out, I would have it done.
Old 07-07-10, 07:01 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked the Michelins on my 470...they wore great and I never had an issue. I have the dreaded vibration at 147 miles on my 460 and am taking in tomorrow. Mine starts as soon as I go over 52 MPH. Keep us posted on what the regional folks say!
Old 07-07-10, 07:09 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
FWIW, some folks prefer the 4Runner wheels.

I exchanged my stock GX 460 wheels for chromed ones.

While conversing with the owner of the shop, I discovered that the GX
460 wheels are different than the 4Runner wheels.

Had I known that, I would have gotten the 4Runner wheels for my GX 460.

I had 4Runner wheels on my GX 470

~ Cap

the 2010 4runner has totally different rims. would never put one of those sets on the gx.

2009 and other later 4th gen 4Runner limited rims are similar to the gx 460, but not the same. As i said, the gx spokes are not as square/rectangular as the 4runner spokes. They are also the same size. Not sure however about the backspace and offset. I had a brand new set of these as i thought I would use them on a 2010 4runner. Changed my mind and sold them. Now i wish i kept them for my gx!
Old 07-08-10, 02:47 PM
allcruise
Driver School Candidate

update. dealer now wants to replace and install rack and pinion steering.
This is major surgery, on a vehicle that only has 1,200 miles. ,, than wants to replace wheels, and who knows what after that. I honestly believe, after having the car in the shop now for 14 days, i have a lemon. Any suggestions, on getting a new car.
Old 07-08-10, 03:11 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

This is major surgery, on a vehicle that only has 1,200 miles. ,, than wants to replace wheels, and who knows what after that. I honestly believe, after having the car in the shop now for 14 days, i have a lemon. Any suggestions, on getting a new car.
Holy cow! Seems to me like they're skipping a few troubleshooting steps they could take before jumping into this. I would ask if they have a gx in the lot with Michelin tires. If they do, they could put them on your truck quickly, take it on the highway and that way determine whether there truly is an issue with your truck instead of the tires/wheels.

Since this just started recently, I continue to believe that your wheels were balanced incorrectly by your dealer. Try the wheel swap and go from there. Depending on how that goes, I would also consider seeing another dealership.
Old 08-27-10, 04:07 PM
bigred88
Driver School Candidate

Default any updates

Any updates? My gx460 now is in service for same problem and i have michelins.
they already did road force balance too.
Old 08-27-10, 05:53 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred88
Any updates? My gx460 now is in service for same problem and i have michelins.
they already did road force balance too.
What we are reading is either too much or too little for the problem originally reported and certainly for the subject of this thread. If the problem is caused by tires, solve it with new tires or by balancing and aligning with the old tires. Unless there is evidence that the original tires are defective, it is hard to believe that a 2010 GX has already worn out the original tires.

However, if the dealer is talking about replacing the steering or similar "major surgery" on a new vehicle, something much worse may be at issue. It would be easy for us to tell you to demand a new vehicle ... we're not doing the demanding. As the expression goes ... nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it. ;-)

However, there may be good reason for you to demand a new vehicle and there may be good reason for your dealer to concur. Certainly, your state's "Lemon Laws" are your first line of defense ... they are in your glove box. In most states, a vehicle that can not be repaired and returned within a certain number of days makes it a 'lemon' and you are entitled to a replacement. It worked for me.

In addition, your dealer may be like Br'er Rabbit ... don't throw me in that briar patch! If the dealer can convince Lexus USA that they sold you a lemon, the dealer may be the winner. The dealership gets another unit allocated, you get what you deserve, the dealership benefits from the good will ... and eventually your first unit gets fixed and re-sold as a low-mileage used vehicle to some lucky (new?) Lexus customer ... everyone wins! Well, at least that is what the GM of the dealership told me when they agreed to replace our unit.

So, if you are "on the right side of the law" in your state and you are a valuable and reasonable Lexus customer, you may prevail. However, don't "draw a line in the sand" and get yourself into a position from which you can not retreat. As in any business, some customers are more trouble than they are worth ... if you burn your bridges with one dealership you are likely to be persona non grata at all dealerships for that brand. That's fine if you are willing to switch brands ... it is not fine if your current vehicle is inoperable ... and unsaleable.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 08-27-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 08:13 PM
T4Fun
Racer

sani
what happened to your gx that won you a new one?
Old 08-27-10, 09:16 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I have just done my 5k free service which included tire balance and rotation. As soon as they have done it I had a bad front vibration (wheels completely out of balance). They have checked again and told me that one of the tires had a flat spot. They have replaced both tires and the truck runs perfect. I have Michelins. They have told me that this happens often to cars which sat on the parking lot for a while before the vehicle was sold.

It is a heavy truck and maybe the problem resolution is as simple as replacing tires. I would ask to check for flat spots.
Old 08-28-10, 01:56 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

My passenger seat quit vibrating since it's warmed up here. I will wait for cold weather to see if it returns.

Last edited by Craig B; 08-28-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 10:25 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
sani
what happened to your gx that won you a new one?
It was the LX that got replaced, not our current GX. Two things happened that made it a "no brainer" for our dealer to get us a new one:

1. Within only a few months of taking delivery of a new LX it developed a problem that was "not dealer serviceable"! Specifically, a wiring harness developed a short circuit. Wiring harnesses are not designed to be replaced ... repaired, maybe ... with a soldering gun and more wire, but not replaced.

2. While on the dealer's lot as they puzzled over how to solve the wiring harness problem, the LX was vandalized! The neighborhood kids threw bricks over the dealer's fence and smashed the windshield. In addition, the dashboard was disassembled to search for the short circuit, so the broken windshield glass fell inside the dashboard.

We took one look at that mess and told the dealer we didn't want it back. Fortunately, we were driving their loaner, although not an LX, but it gave us some leverage. Our lawyer told us to be nice, but firm ... accept nothing less than a new LX and keep driving their loaner. That's an advantage to having only one vehicle at a time and relying on the dealer to provide a loaner ... it is leverage in a situation like this.

After about a week of silence, the GM called to assure us we would get a new LX at no cost. They traded our almost-new, but trashed LX for a new LX, adjusted the trade-in value so that even after taxes, tags and title the balance due was zero. We signed the purchase agreement for no money, turned in their loaner and drove off with a brand-new LX.

In a face-to-face, but "off the record" discussion with the GM, he explained how everyone wins. The LX was and still is a rare and hard-to-get model and he had only a limited allocation. He used our situation to convince Lexus USA to allocate one more to his dealership. We obviously were happy with this, his dealership and Lexus in general got lots of goodwill ... we're still re-telling the story ... and someone else got a used, repaired, but almost-new LX. Granted, they may wonder why they hear rattles in the dashboard and every now and then a chunk of broken windshield glass falls on the carpet, but they got it for a great price. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 08-28-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 08:41 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by SaniDel
It was the LX that got replaced, not our current GX. Two things happened that made it a "no brainer" for our dealer to get us a new one:

1. Within only a few months of taking delivery of a new LX it developed a problem that was "not dealer serviceable"! Specifically, a wiring harness developed a short circuit. Wiring harnesses are not designed to be replaced ... repaired, maybe ... with a soldering gun and more wire, but not replaced.

2. While on the dealer's lot as they puzzled over how to solve the wiring harness problem, the LX was vandalized! The neighborhood kids threw bricks over the dealer's fence and smashed the windshield. In addition, the dashboard was disassembled to search for the short circuit, so the broken windshield glass fell inside the dashboard.

We took one look at that mess and told the dealer we didn't want it back. Fortunately, we were driving their loaner, although not an LX, but it gave us some leverage. Our lawyer told us to be nice, but firm ... accept nothing less than a new LX and keep driving their loaner. That's an advantage to having only one vehicle at a time and relying on the dealer to provide a loaner ... it is leverage in a situation like this.

After about a week of silence, the GM called to assure us we would get a new LX at no cost. They traded our almost-new, but trashed LX for a new LX, adjusted the trade-in value so that even after taxes, tags and title the balance due was zero. We signed the purchase agreement for no money, turned in their loaner and drove off with a brand-new LX.

In a face-to-face, but "off the record" discussion with the GM, he explained how everyone wins. The LX was and still is a rare and hard-to-get model and he had only a limited allocation. He used our situation to convince Lexus USA to allocate one more to his dealership. We obviously were happy with this, his dealership and Lexus in general got lots of goodwill ... we're still re-telling the story ... and someone else got a used, repaired, but almost-new LX. Granted, they may wonder why they hear rattles in the dashboard and every now and then a chunk of broken windshield glass falls on the carpet, but they got it for a great price. ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
great story. one reason i wont buy any used car off ebay or one that has a few thousand miles on it...
Old 09-01-10, 05:13 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I have just done my 5k free service which included tire balance and rotation. As soon as they have done it I had a bad front vibration (wheels completely out of balance). They have checked again and told me that one of the tires had a flat spot. They have replaced both tires and the truck runs perfect. I have Michelins. They have told me that this happens often to cars which sat on the parking lot for a while before the vehicle was sold.

It is a heavy truck and maybe the problem resolution is as simple as replacing tires. I would ask to check for flat spots.
Quick update and a TIP

I started to have slight vibrations again and have noticed that a lug nut is missing (the screw holding it broke off). Came back to the dealer (another store in the city) to have this repaired and I've asked to rebalance wheels again just in case.

Of course had vibrations after even worse. On the way home decided to go to a local Discount Tire store where I buy my tires for all my cars to have them re-balanced there ($40 gave me lifetime balance and rotation). What a difference. The truck never been as smooth before and the steering wheels doesn't feel loose anymore as well.

My conclusions is that dealers do not know how to balance wheels. Go to a pro shop and if you have the problem, most likely it will be resolved by pros. Lack of experience or good balancing machines by dealers shows.
Old 09-01-10, 06:19 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
My conclusions is that dealers do not know how to balance wheels. Go to a pro shop and if you have the problem, most likely it will be resolved by pros. Lack of experience or good balancing machines by dealers shows.
Couldn't agree more about some dealers... Read my story on post #3.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues