GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 03:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Curious to see any video on this as I can't say I have ever noticed this in mine and plenty of experience with vibration in 4-bangers
Old 04-13-19, 06:12 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caesosa
Are you able to get a quick video of the rpm needle when it is making the vibration. Also, the water bottle test in the center console helps, this way we can compare to see if the vibration is similar to others or of this is an isolated incident.
Out of town with my Tundra. Will take a video when I get back home and in the company of the wife’s GX.
Old 04-17-19, 03:29 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by caesosa
Are you able to get a quick video of the rpm needle when it is making the vibration. Also, the water bottle test in the center console helps, this way we can compare to see if the vibration is similar to others or of this is an isolated incident.
The video seems inconclusive. It doesn’t pick up the vibration. You can see the subtle swing in the tachometer though. It vibrates in drive and reverse at idle.
Old 04-17-19, 03:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Do you happen to have an OBD setup to see what the idle RPM is while in gear?

IIRC think mine hovers in the 550-600 range while in drive at idle.

I haven't really paid attention to differences with AC on or RPM for that matter recently.

I will note more exact numbers this next week.
Old 04-17-19, 04:35 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Do you happen to have an OBD setup to see what the idle RPM is while in gear?

IIRC think mine hovers in the 550-600 range while in drive at idle.

I haven't really paid attention to differences with AC on or RPM for that matter recently.

I will note more exact numbers this next week.
Thanks for the message. I don’t have an OBD monitor. The vibration is pretty bad - - it’s rewlly disappointing and driving me nuts.
Old 04-17-19, 04:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I know inconvenient at times but so new I'd get it back into the dealer and see what they can find.
Old 04-19-19, 05:50 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Default Found the problem!!!

Was poking around and found the problem! Wife has some explaining to do! Before and after.

Last edited by Borgs; 04-19-19 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (04-22-19)
Old 04-19-19, 06:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Exhaust got nailed on something?
Old 04-19-19, 07:11 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

So, somehow the exhaust got loose from the hanger? Bumped into something?
Old 04-19-19, 07:28 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Exhaust got nailed on something?
As I said, wife has some ‘splaining to do!
Old 04-19-19, 07:30 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
So, somehow the exhaust got loose from the hanger? Bumped into something?
Yeah, I have no clue, man. I off-road, but with my Tundra. This thing has only seen pavement it’s whole life - 2,220 miles.
Old 06-19-19, 08:05 AM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been dealing with this issue on my '10 premium. 102k miles. The whole car shakes from ~60-75mph or so. I would not say it is dramatic but it is annoying and I can't stop thinking about it while driving on the highway, something I do a lot. I had to point it out to my wife and the toyota dealer "can't reproduce the issue". Nearest Lexus dealer is 2hrs away. Have balanced tires 3x, no change. Tire pressures are all at 32psi. Tires (Michelin defender lt) have good tread, I would guess at least another 15k before the wear indicators so I am hesitant to replace those.. No leaking from the shocks. Alignment seems okay but have not had it checked. Any other ideas? I have not greased the driveshaft in a while, could that be it?
Old 06-19-19, 11:13 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

It could be out of round tires, you can increase the PSI a bit and see if it helps. Hope it's not CV joints or bearings (which could also have some humming).

Originally Posted by craina
I have been dealing with this issue on my '10 premium. 102k miles. The whole car shakes from ~60-75mph or so. I would not say it is dramatic but it is annoying and I can't stop thinking about it while driving on the highway, something I do a lot. I had to point it out to my wife and the toyota dealer "can't reproduce the issue". Nearest Lexus dealer is 2hrs away. Have balanced tires 3x, no change. Tire pressures are all at 32psi. Tires (Michelin defender lt) have good tread, I would guess at least another 15k before the wear indicators so I am hesitant to replace those.. No leaking from the shocks. Alignment seems okay but have not had it checked. Any other ideas? I have not greased the driveshaft in a while, could that be it?
Old 06-19-19, 11:28 AM
craina
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
It could be out of round tires, you can increase the PSI a bit and see if it helps. Hope it's not CV joints or bearings (which could also have some humming).
I too thought of the bearings but there is no humming or bearing noise. Tires could be out of round I suppose. I will try the increased PSI, maybe take it up to 35? The tires are starting to show a bit of dry rot (parked outdoors) but nothing that would warrant replacement on its own. Hoping to get a good bit more life out of them.

FWIW I first started noticing the issue not long after transmission/diffs/transfer case were flushed @ the Toyota dealer. I don't really see how any of that work going awry could cause this issue. It seems more wheel/tire/alignment/suspension related.
Old 06-24-19, 06:22 AM
texaskathy
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2011, 5th set of tires!!

I'm still dealing with this problem as well. I will say Defender tires are the worst in my tire experience. There are only 3 Lexus recommends and Michelin Latitude are one of them. My GX has 127K miles now and has has tires balances, rotated and all the shaking looked at more times than I can count! Its pretty frustrating as well. I can relate to the others saying they think about it a lot...I really would like to keep my vehicle longer as its in fantastic shape other wise and always serviced at the dealer, except tires. They blame my issues on getting my tires elsewhere. I even had them balance my last set. They claimed they were unable to balance them and that they were defective (Defenders) so I am now just recently replaced w Latitudes. I haven't driven on the freeway just yet but can assume I am still shaking, just less.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues