Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 01:40 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Hey thanks! Maybe I should have

My GX pulled to the right and the checked the alignment. It was the passenger caster that was off so they corrected it. The truck drives straight now. Maybe very slightly pulls to the left, but I need to drive more to see. At least right now, I don't need to constantly adjust the steering wheel.

What was the problem with your alignment? Could you please share your story with us? Thanks again.
According to the documents it states that toe was off. When I first purchased the vehicle it was pulling right and steering wheel off-center to the left. Then the steering wheel was now off-center to the right. They have corrected the issue since then but I took it in until it was fixed to my satisfaction. It was annoying to spend that much time taking it to get it fixed but getting a loaner made it a bit more convenient. They ran out of loaners one time and they covered a lyft for me to get home and back to the dealer. Hope you get your problem sorted and post back in here. I would be curious as to what you find.

On a side note, it's not directly Michelin but BFG who is owned by Michelin. I had 4 KO2s replaced under warranty as they were ALL out of round. Similar to your experience now, it was a major PITA to get fixed. Road force, multiple shops, tons of time wasted.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (10-11-19)
Old 10-09-19, 03:22 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Caster was the culprit for us too. The wife has a 2015 unit and it ALWAYS had a slight pull/drift to the right. NTB's expert took care of it by adjusting the front passenger side caster. Been great ever since.
hadokenuh (10-11-19)
Old 10-09-19, 03:26 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks! What kind of Michelins are you running? Right now I am pretty happy with the ride on the Defender LTX. The only issue I have now is some minor seat vibration and movement on certain road surface going 65-70mph. And just to confirm, you don't experience any of that?

So the issue was pretty much the OEM Bridgetones or them being out of balance to start with. It would have been a long shot to push the dealership to replace the Bridgetones with Michelins. I had the wheels checked at Discount Tire by 2 different guys and their machine, they are all good. By the way, most DT stores around my area now have the latest Hunter Road force Elite balance machine with some fancy laser tech that can detect out of round issue pretty quickly and accurately.

Thank you for your response. What kind of vibrations on the GX did you experience if you don't mind me asking? Did you have the dealership re-balance them or a tire shop? Did they actually do road force balance? If they did, do you happen to have the road force # report of the tires?

As for the weight, I haven't seen them do the "banged on" weights on modern vehicles any more. Probably due to aesthetics. All I see are stick on weights.
Steering wheel shake at 65, Had Direct Tire re-balance
hadokenuh (10-11-19)
Old 10-10-19, 05:35 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

I realize it's a new car but I would check your driveshaft is properly lubed... and the bolts are tightened to spec on the entire driveshaft. Sounds dumb I know buuuut, it may be as simple as they didn't properly do the pdi on the vehicle... wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10-11-19, 08:58 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
I realize it's a new car but I would check your driveshaft is properly lubed... and the bolts are tightened to spec on the entire driveshaft. Sounds dumb I know buuuut, it may be as simple as they didn't properly do the pdi on the vehicle... wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks. This is very helpful. I would bring this up in the 5K service.
Old 10-11-19, 03:49 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Your problem sounds like "flat spotting". It's pretty common in cold climate with some Michellins.
Very well could have been that. I had kumhos. the crosslcimates i put on are michelins hope theres no issue but it has already been cold enough that i would have noticed on the kumhos.
Old 10-15-19, 01:59 PM
khuzbuz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned a 2010 GX460 for the past 2 years and just hit 80k miles. I have been plagued by excessive steering wheel vibration for the past 5k miles when driving between 65-75mph, usually on roads with a slight curve. The steering wheel would be turned about 10degrees to the left or right before feeling the annoying vibration. I would feel the fluttering when driving straight. I had one of the local Lexus dealerships perform road force balancing which did not produce positive results. They gave up stating I needed to replace the Bridgestone Duelers that only had 16k miles on them. Took it to another shop for a 2nd opinion and they re-did the road force and moved the wheels with higher road force values to the rear. This did reduce some of the vibration but I was still disappointed.

So, I purchased the latest Continental CrossContact LX25 tires and went back to my shop for road force and alignment. It was considerably smoother for the first 2 weeks and then all of a sudden the vibrations were back. Unsure if some of the tape-on weights fell off. Went back to the shop and they slightly tweaked the weights on the front tires and then positioned the heaviest part of the wheel/tire to the lightest part of the rotor. Apparently there are markings or divets on the rotors and wheels. It seems that this latest effort has done the trick. I have driven over 50miles and the truck feels so smooth! No vibrations or flutter. Hope this helps those experiencing the same issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by khuzbuz:
dumbastard (10-15-19), hadokenuh (10-15-19), LFC (10-15-19)
Old 10-15-19, 08:32 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Originally Posted by khuzbuz
I have owned a 2010 GX460 for the past 2 years and just hit 80k miles. I have been plagued by excessive steering wheel vibration for the past 5k miles when driving between 65-75mph, usually on roads with a slight curve. The steering wheel would be turned about 10degrees to the left or right before feeling the annoying vibration. I would feel the fluttering when driving straight. I had one of the local Lexus dealerships perform road force balancing which did not produce positive results. They gave up stating I needed to replace the Bridgestone Duelers that only had 16k miles on them. Took it to another shop for a 2nd opinion and they re-did the road force and moved the wheels with higher road force values to the rear. This did reduce some of the vibration but I was still disappointed.

So, I purchased the latest Continental CrossContact LX25 tires and went back to my shop for road force and alignment. It was considerably smoother for the first 2 weeks and then all of a sudden the vibrations were back. Unsure if some of the tape-on weights fell off. Went back to the shop and they slightly tweaked the weights on the front tires and then positioned the heaviest part of the wheel/tire to the lightest part of the rotor. Apparently there are markings or divets on the rotors and wheels. It seems that this latest effort has done the trick. I have driven over 50miles and the truck feels so smooth! No vibrations or flutter. Hope this helps those experiencing the same issue.
Wow!

Thank you for sharing the info. This is actually the 1st time I've heard about putting the heaviest part of the wheels to the lightest part of the rotors.

Is there anyway that you can get more information on this? Like how to identify the lightest part of the rotors? This might explain why some people get vibrations with just a tire rotation when their cars ride smooth before the rotation.
Old 10-17-19, 03:51 PM
sinistar
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience, as I have a 2014 with 96K miles and no vibration problems to speak of at any speed. In fact, it is the smoothest truck-based ride I've ever driven. Tires are Cooper Discoverer SRX and they're super smooth.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents because I call BS on the dealer saying the vibration you've described as "normal for the GX."
hadokenuh (10-22-19)
Old 10-22-19, 01:20 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Update: I made an appointment today at the Lexus dealer to test drive with a master tech. He seemed like a really nice and knowledgeable guy who's been with Lexus for 20+ years. We drove the GX on the very smooth road and then uneven concrete surface.

He agreed that there was some minor vibration on the floor board and the seat bottoms. But that's normal for the GX. He explains again that it is in fact a truck with stiff spring rates so the vibrations are easily transferred into the interior as it is. During the drive, I also thought that it is very smooth on smooth road and the vibrations I feel is more pronouced on uneven concreate surface.

So I went back to the dealership and requested another test drive with 2 other brand new 2019 GXs. They had Michellin Latittude HP tires on them. Guess what, they drove about the same as mine. Meaning, I felt that same slight vibration on the seats and floorboard.

So at this point, I think I'll take their words and just enjoy it as it is LOL. BUT there were definitely issues with the Bridgestones to begin with.

So to rate the smoothness again at this point:

9.9/10 on super smooth road surface
9.5/10 on uneven/broken concrete surface

If anyone who's from Houston, TX and thinks that their GX is super smooth on all surfaces and would like to help me out and doesn't mind me test driving it, I'll gladly buy you lunch or beer or something
Old 10-24-19, 03:47 AM
Zraufs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Bridgstone tires on GX460 2018. I did talk to the dealer about sending an inquiry to Lexus Motors technical adviser to suggest any solution but I haven't heard any thing back from them! I did drive there new 2019 but it had the worse shaking and vibrations at 40 and then between 60 to 70 mph. I plan to continue to pursue this issue with Lexus till they come up with some solution!
Old 01-31-20, 10:19 PM
sfergy76
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but was this ever resolved? Noticing the same issues on my 2013, has anyone pinpointed a cause or fix for this?
Old 02-01-20, 12:36 AM
LionZoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems to just be a resonance characteristic of the transfer case.
Old 02-04-20, 04:56 PM
LoloBoom1
Driver School Candidate

Angry GX460 Vibration

I've had my 2015 GX460 for 16 months. The vibration started ~8 months ago. I've spent almost $4K trying to get rid of it - new tires, brakes, alignment, balancing, road force balancing (as recommended by Firestone) + new bushings, shocks and struts (as recommended by Lexus). None of that has helped AT ALL, and the vibration is getting worse! I don't allow clients to ride with me anymore, and am PISSED off to the highest degree of pisstivity about all the $$$ I've WASTED. Lexus needs to come up with a solution, and make this right!!!
Old 02-04-20, 05:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Are you still on OEM rims? I thought I remember somewhere... maybe other forum(s) someone saying they had a similar issue and it came down to a rim that for whatever reason was bent in a way but it didn't show up on the balance gear. I could be having a false memory though.

Last edited by Acrad; 02-04-20 at 05:13 PM.
GB2011GX (02-05-20)

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues