GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 05:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Aftermarket wheels or any other related mods with this problem?
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 05:09 PM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LoloBoom1
I've had my 2015 GX460 for 16 months. The vibration started ~8 months ago. I've spent almost $4K trying to get rid of it - new tires, brakes, alignment, balancing, road force balancing (as recommended by Firestone) + new bushings, shocks and struts (as recommended by Lexus). None of that has helped AT ALL, and the vibration is getting worse! I don't allow clients to ride with me anymore, and am PISSED off to the highest degree of pisstivity about all the $$$ I've WASTED. Lexus needs to come up with a solution, and make this right!!!
I had the same issue with my Tundra, drove me crazy. Here' something to check. The GX has a 2 piece drive shaft to the rear axle, shorter than the Tundra but same construction.. It is supposed to be lubed on each end u-joint AND in the center slide. It wasn't. When I had it in for an alignment, the guy shot everything full of grease. Water came out of the slide. It took a week to get a replacement, but afterwards, the truck drove like it was new. So, I crawled under my GX and checked the slide in the drive shaft, it was dry too. Now, I make sure when the oil's changed, they lube the drive shaft.
Have the dealer check the drive shaft and u-joints.
The following 4 users liked this post by blutopless:
Acrad (02-04-20), corpnupe85 (03-05-21), GB2011GX (02-05-20), hadokenuh (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 05:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Recently went in for a reballlance and had a different sales rep that told me my cost was $177. My original rep stepped up and said no charge. The original rep knows that I have never been happy with the balance.

I still shake at 60 mph (5 mph give or take). I am sick of this and would be embarrassed if I have a passenger or let some one drive my Lexus. It is a work truck so this has not come up. I am wondering if there is something loose in the suspension? Two sets of custom made $4,000+ DUB wheels and two sets of high-end SUV performance tires and my steering wheel aggressively shakes and my seat vibrates with every attempt to fix this.

Buttler Tire said the wheels are Hub-centric (of course they are). I am pissed with my ride quality and not sure how to fix it.
I purchased Eppieguys aftermarket rotors and pads (thanks Eppieguy!). I had them installed today. I considered doing this myself, but didn't really want to deal with the hassle as I have many other things to do and I received a take home and pick up ride from the shop.

I had somewhere else to be after I picked up my GX. Once I hit 60mph the first time on this trip I realized there is no vibration. I then made it a point to hit 60mph as much as possible. The vibration is GONE!!! It now rides like a luxury truck should.

My confusion is, no shop has mentioned this possible problem as a solution. I purchased my GX at I believe 38,000 miles from a lease that was auctioned off. What are the odds that the rotors (front and back) would have been replaced with anything but OEM in a lease? I seriously doubt the rotors were ever changed under 40k miles. My problem was constant seat and stearing wheel shaking so this would be due to a front and rear problem with the rotors.

I will update after a few days of driving.
Confirmed, my 3+ year frustration with vibrations is over.
New rotors was the fix for me.
My vibration came back after a month or so. I am just dealing with it at this point. I took a friend out for lunch a week ago and she said "Is your steering wheel shaking"

My tires need to be replaced soon so I stopped by Discount Tire and mentioned my history with this. The sales guy said that if I replaced the rotors and that fixed my problem that came up later. the wheel offset could be causing the rotors to warp over time, ehh?

I did install 1.25 inch spacers but I had this problem before.

Last edited by tecman; 02-04-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 06:51 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GB2011GX
My wife was complaining of a little vibration. Might have to look into a Road Force Balance (definition: ?, explanation: ?, Summary: ?) [I've never heard of such a thing]
Far too long went by and I forgot to update you with the results... it was crappy tires. 4 new tires and she was GOLD! Has Lexus come out with a 400 mile range hovercraft yet?
Old 02-05-20, 07:21 AM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

2 years ago I purchased 4 new tires. Re-balanced them 5 times. Finally took them and requested they spin the tire and check the tire visually ( most new tire balancers have a cover when spinning) 2 of the tires were defective. One squirmed side to side the other was out of round. These were not a cheap off brand of tire.
Old 03-15-20, 07:43 AM
Henrykow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 gx460 steering wheel vibration

I've recently purchased a 2014 gx460 premium after my gs350 was totaled. I loved the gs but love the 460 even more! The car has about 75k miles and I'm the second owner. Lately when the brakes are applied at around 60mph the steering wheel shakes badly. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if a fix was found. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-15-20, 10:18 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrykow
I've recently purchased a 2014 gx460 premium after my gs350 was totaled. I loved the gs but love the 460 even more! The car has about 75k miles and I'm the second owner. Lately when the brakes are applied at around 60mph the steering wheel shakes badly. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if a fix was found. Thanks in advance for your help.
That obviously means your brakes need attention. If the pads and rotors are original, consider to replace them with a new set. Start fresh.
Old 03-15-20, 02:56 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

warped/ deformed rotors
Old 05-23-20, 11:02 AM
chris01919
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, front rotors are warped...mine always seem to warp
Old 05-23-20, 11:53 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrykow
... even if the existing rotors can be turned, replace with new rotors ... the cost difference is minimal. I have always found that turned rotors always find their way back to steering shimmy and/or pulsing brakes much sooner than new rotors under the same conditions ... just not worth any savings. Shops push turning rotors so they can amortize their equipment and charge for the additional labor (for turning) versus new parts where they only profit from the markup.

Last edited by ASE; 05-23-20 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 04:19 PM
rotaiva
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I found this thread as I have the same issue with my 2018 GX460. I wonder if Lexus has fixed this issue or nothing has done since the last post 6/16/2017 by bbqsoup?
Some people probably may not notice if he/she drives my GX as the vibration is not that bad. But I still notice every time it hits 55mph or so up to 65mph or so. I'd assume this won't affect the durability of the car but if they can fix it, the car will be perfect perfect.
Appreciate any input if you have any.
Thanks!
Old 07-03-20, 10:11 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration on 2017 Luxury

Hello I'm new to the site! I recently purchased an L/Certified 2017 GX 460 luxury with 39K. I like the car very much except the purchasing dealer missed a few things.

I had purchased an interior protection plan and had the purchasing dealer apply it. When I got a 2019 GX loaner for the day I noticed it to be a lot smoother than mine at higher speeds like 75mph. When I got mine back I immediately noticed a significant difference and decided I needed to do something about it. This past Thursday I took the car to Discount Tire for them to check the balance since I was planning on taking a few trips over the weekend. They told me that all four tires were out of balance significantly and they performed a regular high speed balance. The tires are basically brand-new (Michelin Defender LTX). It seems that the ride is a lot smoother on the freeway. However another vibration has made itself present. Whenever I am cruising along on the street and I accelerate I get a feedback through the pedal and the floorboards. It's sort of like a humming or groaning vibration. (The loaner also did not have this issue) I've had V8 explorers in the past that have had a similar feeling and it's usually due to a drive shaft issue. Last night I got under the GX and took a look at all the u-joints and slip yokes. I added some lithium chassis grease to the zerks thinking that this might get rid of the vibration. I am still feeling the vibration and don't know where to go next because I feel the dealer will not listen to me or do anything about my problem.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Old 07-03-20, 10:26 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If your greased those zerks and road forced balanced those new tires, then you need to get a service tech to do a ride along at the exact conditions your experiencing those problems at. Get a tech to do a loop on your vehicle while doing a loop on that 19 GX to show em a difference.
Old 07-04-20, 05:11 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PradoV8
Hello I'm new to the site! I recently purchased an L/Certified 2017 GX 460 luxury with 39K. I like the car very much except the purchasing dealer missed a few things.

I had purchased an interior protection plan and had the purchasing dealer apply it. When I got a 2019 GX loaner for the day I noticed it to be a lot smoother than mine at higher speeds like 75mph. When I got mine back I immediately noticed a significant difference and decided I needed to do something about it. This past Thursday I took the car to Discount Tire for them to check the balance since I was planning on taking a few trips over the weekend. They told me that all four tires were out of balance significantly and they performed a regular high speed balance. The tires are basically brand-new (Michelin Defender LTX). It seems that the ride is a lot smoother on the freeway. However another vibration has made itself present. Whenever I am cruising along on the street and I accelerate I get a feedback through the pedal and the floorboards. It's sort of like a humming or groaning vibration. (The loaner also did not have this issue) I've had V8 explorers in the past that have had a similar feeling and it's usually due to a drive shaft issue. Last night I got under the GX and took a look at all the u-joints and slip yokes. I added some lithium chassis grease to the zerks thinking that this might get rid of the vibration. I am still feeling the vibration and don't know where to go next because I feel the dealer will not listen to me or do anything about my problem.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
i had/have same issue.
the issue started when i changed my tires to the defender LTX.
great tires, but they are very hard to balance.
at speeds of 80-100 no vibration.
speeds of 60-70 vibration
speeds of 35 vibration.

dealer spent entire day balancing them. I think its the tires. Great tires in rain and very quiet at high speeds. problem is tire has high wear rating and im 100% it has to do with the rubber. Michelin needs to do a better job of making these tires. its quite pathetic imho. i would suggest u try a different tire other than defender LTX which ride rough to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
ashirm98 (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 07:51 PM
ashirm98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i had/have same issue.
the issue started when i changed my tires to the defender LTX.
great tires, but they are very hard to balance.
at speeds of 80-100 no vibration.
speeds of 60-70 vibration
speeds of 35 vibration.

dealer spent entire day balancing them. I think its the tires. Great tires in rain and very quiet at high speeds. problem is tire has high wear rating and im 100% it has to do with the rubber. Michelin needs to do a better job of making these tires. its quite pathetic imho. i would suggest u try a different tire other than defender LTX which ride rough to begin with.
This has generally been my experience with Michelin's Defender line. My uncle has these on his Odyssey and they're so hard that you feel way more of the road than you want to

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues