GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 07:53 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After paying closer attention, it seems that I may have narrowed down the issue. In park (w/ AC or w/o) I feel a shake in the engine between about 1200-1500 rpms. If I watch the tachometer while applying the gas (driving), the feedback from the engine is felt most in this range. I scanned the car and there are no codes and no misfires. Dealer said they checked a 2019 and 2020 on the lot and claims that "that's just how they are". Can someone confirm this? I've opened a case with Lexus corporate since no one is taking me seriously and keeps giving me the run-around...
Old 07-10-20, 09:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Try getting your wheels road force balanced. Engine vibrations usually happen when motor mounts start to go bad. No issue with my 14 using Falken Wildpeaks.
Old 07-10-20, 11:38 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

I know that this is an old thread... Did you find a solution? I think I am having a similar issue on my 2017 with 41k.
Old 07-11-20, 09:12 PM
tharijay
Driver School Candidate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had some vibration at 70mph+ on the highway, replaced the crappy tires the dealer had put on it when I bought the truck with a new set of defenders and vibration basically disappeared. So idk..

Originally Posted by ashirm98
This has generally been my experience with Michelin's Defender line. My uncle has these on his Odyssey and they're so hard that you feel way more of the road than you want to
Old 07-12-20, 08:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

A road force ballance will be able to tell you if you had a have a bad tire to possibly bent rim. It's more expensive but gives you the best ballance possible.
Old 07-12-20, 08:37 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

After driving with my scan tool plugged in, I detected a misfire in cylinders 1 & 5. I replaced the 2 plugs with OEM Denso Iridium and it seems that it smoothed out a little. Now it seems the rpm range where I had the vibration has shifted from 1300-1500 to about 1700-2000. It only happens when I am applying the accelerator. Could it be the transfer case?

I'm just trying to get this thing narrowed down! Dealer basically told me they're not touching it... Ugh so frustrating!
Old 07-12-20, 08:39 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
A road force ballance will be able to tell you if you had a have a bad tire to possibly bent rim. It's more expensive but gives you the best ballance possible.
I will also try and get the road force done at Discount Tire soon. Over the weekend they rebalanced with a regular high speed balance and said that if that doesn't work then they will set an appointment to redo with RFB.
Old 07-13-20, 10:13 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Make sure the shop actually has a real road force balancing machine. Most do not.
Old 07-14-20, 09:30 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Take a look at my thread about the vibrations and Defender LTX tires:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...on-thread.html

Most Discount Tires have the new road force balance machines (with lazer) but they don't always utilize the feature to find the high points of the tire and rotate them as needed (would take too much time - unless you have issues and come back multiple times). Then there are issues with training and calibration. Make sure to ask for an experienced tech that knows how to use the machine and understand the basics of road force balancing.

What I've also found is Michelin QC has gone down hill, at least with the Defender LTX. In my case, 3 of the 7 tires were having too high road forces numbers that they were not able to get them down to acceptable numbers.
Old 07-15-20, 08:57 AM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Getting the RFB done tomorrow. Will update on how car is after...
Old 07-15-20, 06:22 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PradoV8
After driving with my scan tool plugged in, I detected a misfire in cylinders 1 & 5. I replaced the 2 plugs with OEM Denso Iridium and it seems that it smoothed out a little. Now it seems the rpm range where I had the vibration has shifted from 1300-1500 to about 1700-2000. It only happens when I am applying the accelerator. Could it be the transfer case?

I'm just trying to get this thing narrowed down! Dealer basically told me they're not touching it... Ugh so frustrating!
Did you find out the cause of misfiring or was it old plugs? Why didn’t you change all 8 plugs and see if that helps?

The vibration in the drivetrain during acceleration should indicate drive shafts needing grease but since you’re already done that...Did you grease all 6 zerk fittings? There’s 4 u-joints and 2 splines to grease.
Old 07-16-20, 03:50 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from Discount Tire. They threw every wheel on the Road Force balancer and found all to be good. I know that it was not a tire issue since I can feel the car shake and wobble in park at certain rpm ranges. I only replaced 2 plugs on the cylinders that showed a misfire. All 6 zerks are greased. This has to be either deeper in the engine or mounts for the transmission/engine. I really find it hard to believe that something that major would happen on a 3 yr old car with 40k... I'm seriously out of ideas...
Old 07-16-20, 04:31 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There are a few other threads on vibrations. I think steering rack and/or transfer case and rotors were mentioned as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ay-speeds.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...gh-speeds.html
Old 07-17-20, 09:44 PM
covfefe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is L certified isn't it still under lexus warranty for them to look deeper make sure no engine/steering issue?
Old 07-18-20, 12:53 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is. I took it in today to a local Lexus dealer and they completed a diagnostics procedure. They claim that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm starting to second guess myself about the severity of the vibration. Maybe I'm just sensitive? Could it just be a resonant frequency that comes into the cabin at specific rpms?

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues