GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 06:15 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by PradoV8
Yes it is. I took it in today to a local Lexus dealer and they completed a diagnostics procedure. They claim that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm starting to second guess myself about the severity of the vibration. Maybe I'm just sensitive? Could it just be a resonant frequency that comes into the cabin at specific rpms?
Go to their preowned lot, try to find a similar Model Year and mileage and drive it at those rpms. If you find the same issue recurring, then its you. If no issue, then press on with the same dealer or find another service center and show them the problem.

Vibrations, electrical gremlins are really down to personal sensitivity. Unless its staring them in the face or ear its a trek to say the least.
Old 07-18-20, 08:03 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by covfefe
If it is L certified isn't it still under lexus warranty for them to look deeper make sure no engine/steering issue?
sometimes dealer certified even for new vehicles are not covered or given the cold shoulder unless the problem is easily noticed or downright broken.
For them its just a typical "sensitive" customer. they will say its within specs or we can't find the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by angrygx:
coolsaber (07-18-20), PradoV8 (07-19-20)
Old 07-18-20, 08:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by angrygx
sometimes dealer certified even for new vehicles are not covered or given the cold shoulder unless the problem is easily noticed or downright broken.
For them its just a typical "sensitive" customer. they will say its within specs or we can't find the problem.
Finding a vibration is tough work. You might be hearing the issue at x y z rpm, but the service tech only has a limited amount of time, and maybe some experience with this particular model to know common vibration points. Its best to leave as much information, heck ask for a test ride with the service tech to point out the vibration. In addition getting that back to back comparison on a dealership used vehicle is a good idea.

After that it really depends on a lot of things. If the service writer is good at his or her job then you will get those results. If the service rep does not care or has been instructed from the top to move as many work orders as possible and their area is full of customers who dont know better then yea your going to see minimal effort.
Old 07-19-20, 09:00 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to make a call to Lexus corporate tomorrow to see if they can send out an engineer in August to take a look. I'm leaving a long paper trail of "customer concern can not be replicated at this time" and that creates a lot of bias from the service writers the second I drive in...

Is there an easy way to check the engine/trans mounts? I tried locating them the other day but the engine bay is so cramped and it is difficult to lean over the radiator support to take a look.
Old 07-20-20, 08:04 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 609 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to make a call to Lexus corporate tomorrow to see if they can send out an engineer in August to take a look. I'm leaving a long paper trail of "customer concern can not be replicated at this time" and that creates a lot of bias from the service writers the second I drive in...

Is there an easy way to check the engine/trans mounts? I tried locating them the other day but the engine bay is so cramped and it is difficult to lean over the radiator support to take a look.
easiest to look for/ at the mounts from underneath with all the skids removed... they can be seen from the top with all the plastic removed but not as well...

have you (or the dealer) checked the torque on your driveshaft bolts? this is a regular maintenance item to check per the manual
Old 07-20-20, 08:33 AM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
easiest to look for/ at the mounts from underneath with all the skids removed... they can be seen from the top with all the plastic removed but not as well...

have you (or the dealer) checked the torque on your driveshaft bolts? this is a regular maintenance item to check per the manual
No, no one seems to care about my concerns in the Chicagoland area. The dealers seem like they only want to perform easy services. Anything that takes longer than an hour, they don't really feel like handling it...
Old 07-20-20, 04:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Have you tried going onto the pre-owned lot for a test drive?
Old 07-20-20, 04:55 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Have you tried going onto the pre-owned lot for a test drive?
No, COVID has definitely put some restrictions on my ability to get the issue diagnosed. Test drives are to a minimum and technicians will not go on ride alongs.
Old 07-21-20, 06:28 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Michelin Defender LTX are pain in the ***. I installed them recently and initially they were balanced very well, but i powder coated my wheels last week and the shop that did it didnt balance them well enough. 65mph+ i feel vibrations, went to a two different shops after and they still can't do a good job, i feel it on the highway.
In terms of being a smooth ride, my 2015 is rock hard compared to my friend's 2020 GX. I had it for a day while my GX was at the shop and it felt so much better. I changed my LT and LF oils last week, it feels much better, smoother but 2020 is heaven for your butt in terms of comfort and a smooth ride.
Old 07-21-20, 06:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I don't notice any vibration issues on mine and I'm running oversized AT tires. Yes, rough road has some transferring of into the cabin but this is because of the suspension design.
Old 07-21-20, 08:56 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

After paying closer attention, it seems that I may have narrowed down the issue. In park (w/ AC or w/o) I feel a shake in the engine between about 1200-1500 rpms. If I watch the tachometer while applying the gas (driving), the feedback from the engine is felt most in this range. I scanned the car and there are no codes and no misfires. Dealer said they checked a 2019 and 2020 on the lot and claims that "that's just how they are". Can someone confirm this? I've opened a case with Lexus corporate since no one is taking me seriously and keeps giving me the run-around...

if u find out issue i would like to know. i have same vibration and have just dealt with it on my michelein defenders.
very annoying. rock solid suv except for shaking.
my passenger seat shakes. does yours?

Last edited by T4Fun; 07-21-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 08:18 PM
PradoV8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
if u find out issue i would like to know. i have same vibration and have just dealt with it on my michelein defenders.
very annoying. rock solid suv except for shaking.
my passenger seat shakes. does yours?
I just went out to the car to move it. Yes, my passenger seat wobbles at the specific rpm range of 1300-1500 in PARK.
Old 07-23-20, 12:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my seat only wobbles on highway at certain speeds. its annoying. yesterday i noted when it was very hot, not a vibration at all. very smooth.
i am certain its due to the tires. tires were softer at higher temps in 90s and no vibration.
Old 07-30-20, 05:25 PM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB 0020-12 (Steering Wheel Flutter) solution?

I've got a '10 with bad vibes at 55+ mph, mostly felt in the steering wheel, even though when I look over at the empty passenger seat I see that jiggling back and forth too. I read through the 44 pages of the other vibrations thread -a few times- and was hoping for a clearer picture if this TSB actually fixed things for folks that did it? Reason being, the closest Lexus dealership is 4 hours from me, and they quoted me labor alone $600-700, so it would be a pretty big commitment for me to go for it. I asked them if they had done many of these, and the service guy said no, not many at all. Which makes me wonder if this is actually a fix...

I purchased the vehicle, tires on it were crap, so I had new Goodyear Ultraterrains put on. Had bad vibes, felt like things were out of balance. Had a post purchase inspection scheduled at my mechanic, he noticed vibes but said everything looked good, suggested bad balancing of tires as well.
Lexusdrivers shows both wheel bearings being replaced within the last 10K miles.
Had tires balanced threemore times. The last time they replaced a tire. Vibes didn't go away. Took it back to mechanic to look through again more closely. he checked ujoints, driveshafts, bushings, ball joints, suspension and brakes, said everything looks good, nothing that would cause vibes looked bad.
Took it back to discount, asked them to swap some smooth 4ply highway Michelins on, for experiments sake. I still have the vibes.

At this point, I'm tempted to swap out rotors, they're original and have 132K miles on them. Mechanic says no way warped rotors can cause vibes outside of braking. While I would typically agree with him, I've read here and elsewhere that somehow replacing them magically does the trick. I would go oem rotors if I do. I'm just tired of throwing time and money at this with no solutions!
I also have not gotten an alignment, although one was done within 6 or 7K miles ago.

I had a lifted 01 Cherokee on 35's before the GX and it rode smoother than this. I feel like my bar is pretty low...

Old 07-31-20, 05:28 AM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just read thru the TSB; quite an involved procedure...

Our 13 with 99k has slight shakes, but nothing where I am going to drop this amount of time and money into MAYBE solving the problem.

Wish I could definitively say, “it works do it!” but I cannot.

Keep us posted of any developments.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues