GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 07:34 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Couldn't agree more about some dealers... Read my story on post #3.
Now they have to also repair scratches they have made on wheels. Will not let the dealer touch my wheels again. They have no clue.
Old 09-02-10, 08:29 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Now they have to also repair scratches they have made on wheels. Will not let the dealer touch my wheels again. They have no clue.
I hear you. Had that happen too, and that's why I no longer go to that dealership, even though they are very close to my house.

To boot, because the GX470 uses clip-on weights, you can imagine what my "brand new out-of-the-box" wheels looked like after four failed balancing attempts slapping weights on only to remove them later.

Being a 460, your truck is so new that I would push for replacements and not a repair job. You've probably done that already, so just FWIW.
Old 09-02-10, 07:14 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

on the flip side of things, having your tires done at a so called "PRO" shop (doesnt exist in my mind), they use the impact driver to torque down the lugs, resulting in broken wheel studs. i have caught several tires stores doing this, when they are supposed to be hand torqued to the specified range (83 lbs ft on the gx). Its not a pretty scene when i get into a big argument with them...i will be willing bet the dealer probably does the same thing...pretty sad case of car mechanics out there doing this work who dont know wtf they are doing half the time...its not rocket science, anyone can work on a car...you just need the right tools...its all nuts and bolts
Old 09-03-10, 09:58 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I only have the shop foreman work on my vehicles at the Lexus dealer. They have a Road Force balancing machine as well. He only uses a torque wrench to tighten my lug nuts. I've had things happen to my vehicles when they let just anyone work on my vehicles. I've known the shop foreman since 1994...
Old 09-03-10, 01:26 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

I hear you. Had that happen too, and that's why I no longer go to that dealership, even though they are very close to my house.

To boot, because the GX470 uses clip-on weights, you can imagine what my "brand new out-of-the-box" wheels looked like after four failed balancing attempts slapping weights on only to remove them later.

Being a 460, your truck is so new that I would push for replacements and not a repair job. You've probably done that already, so just FWIW.
They are willing to repair for now only. If it is not fixed perfectly then I will give them hell.

Looking at the initial post in this thread. I have noticed that after even a perfect balance there is vibration around 60-65 mph when you go straigh and you don't hold the steering tight. Maybe there is a bigger problem with GX after all.
Old 09-03-10, 03:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe there is a bigger problem with GX after all.
Would you expect the problem to affect all units? Our GX 460 tracks smooth, straight and true at all speeds and we have about 6,500 miles on the odometer. Although most of our driving is around town, during our summer road trip we were cruising between 65 and 80 MPH for long stretches of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes, including tunnels, which are no place for steering problems.

About all that I have noticed is when we come to a stop on a high-crowned or sloped road, just when the GX comes to a stop, the steering wheel wants to turn "downhill" i.e., in the direction of the slope. However, as the vehicle is leaning in that direction creating side forces on the suspension, wouldn't that be expected? It is a very subtle effect and it only occurs when the vehicle is stopping ... it isn't noticeable when driving on such surfaces.

I worry about your reports of these problems, but I'm not seeing them ... even though I am looking for them.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. At the risk of re-starting another discussion ... shortly after taking delivery in February we lowered all tire pressures to 32 PSI as recommended by Lexus. Our only concession is to raise them by a pound at the start of a long drive or when we expect overnight cool temperatures so they won't drop below 32 PSI.

Would higher tire pressures as recommended by some posters exacerbate these problems? Conversely, would lower tire pressures conceal them?
Old 09-03-10, 07:40 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my steering wheel is off center, but thats a minor issue.

i have too noticed very subtle vibration in my gx as well, happens also around 60. there r only about 500 miles on it. It was just made in june. When i test drove several other gxs, one also felt like it had a vibration...not good imho...could be anything along drive train...who the heck knows
Old 09-03-10, 08:04 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun

i have too noticed very subtle vibration in my gx as well, happens also around 60. there r only about 500 miles on it. It was just made in june. When i test drove several other gxs, one also felt like it had a vibration...not good imho...could be anything along drive train...who the heck knows
I have an appointment on Wed to fix my wheels. I will take one of the repair man on a test drive to show the vibration at 60. Will update after.
Old 09-04-10, 04:07 AM
caha14
Racer

GX 470 had a known issue with this with a couple of TSIBs out, so I'm hoping Toyota has a better understanding of this issue at this point and can properly address your problem.

FWIW my 2004, after rebalancing, replacement of the steering yoke and adjustment of the steering rack preload got a lot better, and mileage only improved things further.
Old 09-04-10, 02:21 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T4Fun

My alignment was out at delivery as well as the wheel being off center. I would have it checked out before you wear your tires. I went right back to the dealership and had them align my vehicle. Unacceptable in my opinion, they should have caught it on their PDI...
Old 09-04-10, 04:32 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig B
My alignment was out at delivery as well as the wheel being off center. I would have it checked out before you wear your tires. I went right back to the dealership and had them align my vehicle. Unacceptable in my opinion, they should have caught it on their PDI...
I have bought three new Lexus from three different dealers, and all had things that should've been caught at PDI and weren't. The steering wheel shimmy on the '04 GX was the biggest issue.

It's unfortunate, but it feels like not enough attention is paid to details during PDI and boxes are just checked off automatically IMO.

I love Lexus service at my dealership, but I can't say my purchasing experiences in this regard have been 'truly outstanding' as they like to say. Lots of stuff happens and gets missed.
Old 09-04-10, 04:58 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

I have bought three new Lexus from three different dealers, and all had things that should've been caught at PDI and weren't. The steering wheel shimmy on the '04 GX was the biggest issue.

It's unfortunate, but it feels like not enough attention is paid to details during PDI and boxes are just checked off automatically IMO.

I love Lexus service at my dealership, but I can't say my purchasing experiences in this regard have been 'truly outstanding' as they like to say. Lots of stuff happens and gets missed.
I agree, they knew I would slam them on the new vehicle survey. Guess what, I never received the new vehicle survey. I think it's a joke, they want you to mark everything outstanding and if you can't, call them. I don't have a problem with the dealer who does my service. I've purchased 5 Lexus vehicles from them. This time, I had my 09 BMW X5 to trade and they were scared to trade. I just went to another dealer and ordered my GX from them. They were surprised when they found out I purchased my GX from another dealer...
Old 09-05-10, 06:10 AM
caha14
Racer

They are willing to repair for now only. If it is not fixed perfectly then I will give them hell.

Looking at the initial post in this thread. I have noticed that after even a perfect balance there is vibration around 60-65 mph when you go straigh and you don't hold the steering tight. Maybe there is a bigger problem with GX after all.
There are some wheel repair people out there who truly do a great job, so hopefully the guy you were referred to will do a good job.

When I had my GX's wheels replaced due to corrosion, initially they gave me refinished wheels. They looked like crap and would vibrate like crazy (of course, the latter was due to an incompetent tech installing them, but I digress), and that was enough to get them to order new wheels instead.

You can always 'give them hell' like you said if the repairs are not to your satisfaction, but of course I hope you don't need to get to that.
Old 09-05-10, 07:34 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig B
I agree, they knew I would slam them on the new vehicle survey. Guess what, I never received the new vehicle survey. I think it's a joke, they want you to mark everything outstanding and if you can't, call them. I don't have a problem with the dealer who does my service. I've purchased 5 Lexus vehicles from them. This time, I had my 09 BMW X5 to trade and they were scared to trade. I just went to another dealer and ordered my GX from them. They were surprised when they found out I purchased my GX from another dealer...
Don't get me started on the surveys, for both sales and service, LOL!! I have very strong opinions on this and could not agree more with you Craig.

For starters, how much sense does it make for a rating like 'Very Good' or 'Good' to be a failing grade? If you send the survey in with anything marked like that, your salesman loses a portion of his pay. If you mark 'Truly Outstanding', he/she loses nothing. Alternatively, if you do not send it, I am not sure what happens, but believe the effect is similar to getting 'Truly Outstanding' ratings. If this is indeed the case, how can not sending the survey in be logically equivalent in any way, shape or form to giving a 'Truly Outstanding' rating?

The only salesperson I dealt with who truly earned the top rating was my 2004 GX salesman. It wasn't his fault that the shop did not catch the steering wheel vibration, and he was absolutely fantastic in every way - responsive and on top of everything.

The GS350 salesguy was a joke: pleasant but lazy and clueless...
Me, on delivery day: John, how do we activate LexusLink?
John: Oh, this car has LexusLink?

Me: John, where are the winter mats that were part of the deal?
John: We don't have them in stock.
Me: John, we made this deal seven weeks ago, and now is when you guys tried to get them?...
Unbeleivable...

LX 570 salesguy was very knowledgeable and nice, but his responsiveness and follow-through were not great at times. Funny story... I recently talked to him about the survey, asking him which questions mattered. Here's a small excerpt:
Me: Does the question about getting a follow-up call count?
Him: Yes.
Me: Well, maybe you should have called, don't you think?
Him: (Laughing) Yes, I should have.
Him: You can write anything you want in the comments section, and that would be fine.
I like the guy personally, so I won't screw him over on the survey. However, my exchange with him only emphasized the uselessness of the survey. I could write that he is the worst salesman ever in the comments section, but as long as he gets all 'Truly Outstanding' boxes checked, it's all good. Makes zero sense.

For what it's worth, if you really want to fill a survey out, just call the 800 number and ask. I got mine via email, but they deactivate it after 90 days (don't know why), so I called and got the old-fashioned paper version.

Sorry for the tome... I get carried away sometimes .
Old 09-05-10, 12:05 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Don't get me started on the surveys, for both sales and service, LOL!! I have very strong opinions on this and could not agree more with you Craig.

For starters, how much sense does it make for a rating like 'Very Good' or 'Good' to be a failing grade? If you send the survey in with anything marked like that, your salesman loses a portion of his pay. If you mark 'Truly Outstanding', he/she loses nothing. Alternatively, if you do not send it, I am not sure what happens, but believe the effect is similar to getting 'Truly Outstanding' ratings. If this is indeed the case, how can not sending the survey in be logically equivalent in any way, shape or form to giving a 'Truly Outstanding' rating?

The only salesperson I dealt with who truly earned the top rating was my 2004 GX salesman. It wasn't his fault that the shop did not catch the steering wheel vibration, and he was absolutely fantastic in every way - responsive and on top of everything.

The GS350 salesguy was a joke: pleasant but lazy and clueless...
Me, on delivery day: John, how do we activate LexusLink?
John: Oh, this car has LexusLink?

Me: John, where are the winter mats that were part of the deal?
John: We don't have them in stock.
Me: John, we made this deal seven weeks ago, and now is when you guys tried to get them?...
Unbeleivable...

LX 570 salesguy was very knowledgeable and nice, but his responsiveness and follow-through were not great at times. Funny story... I recently talked to him about the survey, asking him which questions mattered. Here's a small excerpt:
Me: Does the question about getting a follow-up call count?
Him: Yes.
Me: Well, maybe you should have called, don't you think?
Him: (Laughing) Yes, I should have.
Him: You can write anything you want in the comments section, and that would be fine.
I like the guy personally, so I won't screw him over on the survey. However, my exchange with him only emphasized the uselessness of the survey. I could write that he is the worst salesman ever in the comments section, but as long as he gets all 'Truly Outstanding' boxes checked, it's all good. Makes zero sense.

For what it's worth, if you really want to fill a survey out, just call the 800 number and ask. I got mine via email, but they deactivate it after 90 days (don't know why), so I called and got the old-fashioned paper version.

Sorry for the tome... I get carried away sometimes .
I told the Lexus dealer not to have Lexus contact me by email. I was flooded
with emails from them. I know why they didn't send me the new vehicle survey. I waited in the waiting room for 2.5 hours when I took delivery. They didn't ask if I would like a loaner to get something to eat. They also hard wired my Valentine One wrong and had to have the St. Louis dealer re wire
it. I live 3 hours away from the selling dealer. I spent most of the day waiting around to take delivery. It should have been very simple, but took the whole day. The least they could have done was offer me a car to use while waiting for the alignment...

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues