GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 05:04 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

So started with new tires ? The first question is always "what changed" ... so if new tires ... then that needs to be the starting point.
Old 03-04-22, 09:19 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

I would think if it was tires it would happen on smooth roads as well. I hate vibration issues.
Old 03-06-22, 05:57 PM
VoodooGX
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve experienced this or similar… a knock/ clunk in the front suspension that I can feel in the steering column as if it’s moving in/out a bit.

My issue isn’t tire related. It did it with a set of Toyo Open Country and Falken Wildpeaks.

Update: I replaced the front sway bushings closest to the shock. Took it on several rougher roads including a washed out dirt road and this has cured my issue.

Last edited by VoodooGX; 03-28-22 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-31-22, 06:39 PM
19gx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Shaking at Highway Speeds

I got a 2019 gx460 about a month and a half ago. Ever since I got it, ive been experiencing a vibration/shake in my steering wheel at highway speeds (between 60-75). It’s very inconsistent, it doesn’t always happen, and when it does, it will often go away after a little.

I went to the dealership and got my tires road force balanced, which is what they recommended. That didn’t fix it. I then took a technician from the dealership on a test drive and of course it didn’t replicate. He said even if he did see it, he recommendation would probably be the same thing - I need new tires (I had the stock Bridgestone duelers with around 10-15k miles of life left and no visible damage). Im still under warranty but new tires wouldn’t be covered. I decided since I’m only under warranty for another few months, I should get the tires now, so that if that didn’t resolve the issue, the fix might be covered.

A few days ago I got new tires. I didn’t mind too much, I wanted to go a little bigger and with a more aggressive tread for more flexibility and a better look. I got Toyo open country at3s and I went up in size a little (stock size is 265 60 18 and I got 265 65 18). I don’t think that should be relevant (I’ve asked plenty of people with this car who have built overland rigs with oversized tires and lifts and have never experienced this issue). The first few times i was on the highway, it was smooth sailing - so I thought the issue was resolved and I was really relieved. However it happened again today. It was a pretty prominent vibration and then it went away after a minute or two

im now at a loss at what to do. I guess I’ll take it to discount tire and have them balance and check to see if there are any irregularities with the tires. If not, I’ll go back to the dealership.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any advice/insight? I’m pretty frustrated because I know it can be a different number of things, and it will probably be expensive to identify. I got a newer Lexus with lower miles so I can have something dependable. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited by 19gx; 10-31-22 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-01-22, 06:09 PM
19gx
3rd Gear

Have you ever gotten it figured out?

I got a 2019 gx460 and it only has 20,000 miles and im experiencing a vibration in my steering wheel on the highway between 60-75. it will go away after a little bit and it doesnt happen every time im on the highway. still under warranty for a few months. dealership said its probably the tires so i got new ones and its still doing it. dont know what to do at this point
Old 11-01-22, 07:11 PM
19gx
3rd Gear

Default Steering Wheel Shimmy

I got a 2019 gx460 about a month and a half ago. Ever since I got it, ive been experiencing a vibration/shake in my steering wheel at highway speeds (between 60-75). It’s very inconsistent, it doesn’t always happen, and when it does, it will often go away after a little.

I went to the dealership and got my tires road force balanced, which is what they recommended. That didn’t fix it. I then took a technician from the dealership on a test drive and of course it didn’t replicate. He said even if he did see it, he recommendation would probably be the same thing - I need new tires (I had the stock Bridgestone duelers with around 10-15k miles of life left and no visible damage). Im still under warranty but new tires wouldn’t be covered. I decided since I’m only under warranty for another few months, I should get the tires now, so that if that didn’t resolve the issue, the fix might be covered.

A few days ago I got new tires. I didn’t mind too much, I wanted to go a little bigger and with a more aggressive tread for more flexibility and a better look. I got Toyo open country at3s and I went up in size a little (stock size is 265 60 18 and I got 265 65 18). I don’t think that should be relevant (I’ve asked plenty of people with this car who have built overland rigs with oversized tires and lifts and have never experienced this issue). The first few times i was on the highway, it was smooth sailing - so I thought the issue was resolved and I was really relieved. However it happened again today. It was a pretty prominent vibration and then it went away after a minute or two

im now at a loss at what to do. I guess I’ll take it to discount tire and have them balance and check to see if there are any irregularities with the tires. If not, I’ll go back to the dealership.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any advice/insight? I’m pretty frustrated because I know it can be a different number of things, and it will probably be expensive to identify. I got a newer Lexus with lower miles so I can have something dependable. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 11-01-22, 08:36 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I worked in the tire business till retiring 10 years ago. I was the "go to" guy for ride and alignment problems. In a case like yours, where a change of tires did not correct the problem, I put the tires on a spin balancer to eyeball the roundness and use a dial run-out indicator sometimes. I would often find some run-out in one or both tires. Then dismount the problem tire(s) and use a dial indicator to measure radial and lateral run-out of the wheel(s). If a wheel has excessive run-out, I'd swap it with the spare wheel or recommend replacement. Often re-indexing the tire on the wheel would help reduce run-out but significant lateral run-out in a wheel is likely to cause a shimmy no matter how well balanced it is. The tires need to be driven enough to warm them before doing any of the above. Brake rotors can very occasionally be the problem if they are cheap replacements.
The following 3 users liked this post by robert1408:
NewB2Lexus (11-02-22), Peacebay (11-03-22), ScaldedDog (11-01-22)
Old 11-02-22, 07:44 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I have recently tracked down the exact same problem on one of our cars that's not the GX. You probably want to check axial runout of the rims since you ruled out the tires already. If those are within the specs (not sure about the GX specs but should be less than 0.010") then check the rotors and the hubs as a last resort. Those should have close to 0 runout.
Also make sure there is no dirt, gunk, rust etc. between the mounting surface of the rim and the rotor that would cause it to be misaligned but the tire shop probably checked that already. I hope it helps.

In my case at least 2 of the rims were bent so I ended up getting new rims and tires. Now smooth as butter.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 11-02-22 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
Peacebay (11-03-22), robert1408 (11-02-22)
Old 11-04-22, 12:54 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been dealing with this exact issue ( off and on ) since I got the 2018 GX!

I ended up getting a new set of OEMs ( Michelin LT Defenders iirc ) and the issue was resolved until I went for a rotation ( 5K miles ) and the dealer did a road force + alignment ( even mentioned the tires had some feathering )

It drove great and now ( post an additional 4k miles or so since the first rotation ) I've started to feel it again, but not all the time.. and always between 60-70 mph.. Fortunately, the alignment/rotation from the dealer comes with a 12 month / 12K mile warranty, so will be headed back for this yet again... sigh!

Probably the ONLY issue I've had with this vehicle so far that hasn't been resolved!
Old 11-07-22, 12:05 PM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
I have recently tracked down the exact same problem on one of our cars that's not the GX. You probably want to check axial runout of the rims since you ruled out the tires already. If those are within the specs (not sure about the GX specs but should be less than 0.010") then check the rotors and the hubs as a last resort. Those should have close to 0 runout.
Also make sure there is no dirt, gunk, rust etc. between the mounting surface of the rim and the rotor that would cause it to be misaligned but the tire shop probably checked that already. I hope it helps.

In my case at least 2 of the rims were bent so I ended up getting new rims and tires. Now smooth as butter.

Would this result in just occasional issues you think? I’ve had this problem off and on for years with my ‘12, but it’s inconsistent. I’ve started thinking it has multiple contributors like tire/air temp, last time I checked tire pressure, did I leave the tire at higher pressure, what lane I’m in on a given highway stretch, etc.
Old 11-07-22, 02:47 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I had an occasional vibration years back but never felt it again after putting on my front Timbrens

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post11241165
The following users liked this post:
NewB2Lexus (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 02:55 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

With 2 bad front rims and limited swapping options (directional tires) the vibration was intermittent in my case. I just posted this as something to check out as it requires very little investment and can pinpoint a potential issue.
Old 11-12-22, 01:42 PM
Mitch65
3rd Gear

My 4runner had this exact same issues over 3 different brands of tires. I delt with it for years. I traded it in for a new 23 GX and so far so good but once I upgrade tires Im sure this new truck will devolope the same issues. It must be a Toyota thing. This type of platform is just super sensitive to the slightest imbalance.
Old 11-18-22, 02:22 PM
icersam73
2nd gear

Default Steering wheel shaking at 60-70 mph

Just bought a 2011 gx460 with 128k mi. I made a mistake of just test driving it street side. After purchasing I found out that the vehicle shakes at 60-70 mph speed. Not very strong shake but definitely noticeable. Got the tires balanced and rotated but it didn’t go away. Any thoughts or similar experience?
Old 11-18-22, 03:17 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by icersam73
Just bought a 2011 gx460 with 128k mi. I made a mistake of just test driving it street side. After purchasing I found out that the vehicle shakes at 60-70 mph speed. Not very strong shake but definitely noticeable. Got the tires balanced and rotated but it didn’t go away. Any thoughts or similar experience?
I'd have the alignment checked. Any shop worth their salt will be able to see if there are any worn components that could be causing the shake.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
icersam73 (11-18-22)

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues