Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 03:36 PM
tscho
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking/Vibration at 60+ MPH

Originally Posted by icersam73
Just bought a 2011 gx460 with 128k mi. I made a mistake of just test driving it street side. After purchasing I found out that the vehicle shakes at 60-70 mph speed. Not very strong shake but definitely noticeable. Got the tires balanced and rotated but it didn’t go away. Any thoughts or similar experience?
Has anyone gotten a true resolution to this? I’ve read through all 54 pages of this thread and not even sure where to start as I have a very similar situation.
Just bought a 2011 GX460 with 86k on the clock - was able to take it on highway for test drives, but unfortunately living in DFW, I was not able to cruise above 60 much at all. Has pretty significant vibration at highway speed starting at about 60mph and up (lessens once past 70mph). Doesn’t matter if the road is rough or perfectly smooth highway, same condition. I feel it shaking throughout the car - visible on steering wheel and front and rear seats. I did grease the spider joints and slip yokes on the drive shafts, other than that I haven’t done anything and just trying to find a starting point.
Does switching to 17” rims help?
Any certain tire/wheel setup better than others?
Any legitimacy to the rotor replacement?
Does the TSB L-SB-0020-12 resolve it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I had a 2008 4Runner then a 2021 Tacoma before this and I’m pumped about this GX, just really want to get this resolved. Thanks

Last edited by tscho; 01-15-23 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-15-23, 03:48 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Unfortunately a vibration like this can have a number of sources, in general it is a rotating assembly associated with road speed (vs engine speed) so the common items are; tires out of balance, tire out of round, rim bent, worn suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends), Can also be warped rotor but this usually shows up on light brake application, bent drive shaft or worn U-joints, CV joint-Front axle (very rare to vibrate), alignement (also result of worn suspension components)
Old 01-15-23, 04:01 PM
tscho
4th Gear

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by IanG
Unfortunately a vibration like this can have a number of sources, in general it is a rotating assembly associated with road speed (vs engine speed) so the common items are; tires out of balance, tire out of round, rim bent, worn suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends), Can also be warped rotor but this usually shows up on light brake application, bent drive shaft or worn U-joints, CV joint-Front axle (very rare to vibrate), alignement (also result of worn suspension components)
Thanks Ian. I think I’ll start with the simplest task (balance tires) and work from there. Is it even worth doing a regular balance? I hear everyone discussing a road force balance and I’m guessing that’s the only way to go here
The following users liked this post:
IanG (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 04:09 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

When they balance the wheels it is very easy for them to check each wheel for out of round and if it is bent.
Old 01-15-23, 04:57 PM
icersam73
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping to resolve the issue

Hello there. I still have the shaking problem on my GX 460 but my friend had the same problem and he replaced the end link and he just told me today that the shaking went away. I just ordered my end links and I’ll replaced mine as soon as I get it. I will update you all on the result. Hoping that this will solve it.
Old 01-15-23, 05:17 PM
tscho
4th Gear

Originally Posted by icersam73
Hello there. I still have the shaking problem on my GX 460 but my friend had the same problem and he replaced the end link and he just told me today that the shaking went away. I just ordered my end links and I’ll replaced mine as soon as I get it. I will update you all on the result. Hoping that this will solve it.
Let me know if you have success! I don’t mind replacing any/all necessary parts - just don’t want to go down a rabbit hole with little direction. Thanks!
Did you go with a specific brand or just OEM?
Old 01-16-23, 01:15 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tscho

Thanks Ian. I think I’ll start with the simplest task (balance tires) and work from there. Is it even worth doing a regular balance? I hear everyone discussing a road force balance and I’m guessing that’s the only way to go here
Also in the DFW ( Grapevine ) area, and have been dealing with the same issue... Getting a Road Force Balance alleviates the issue for a while, but then ( ~ 4 months or ~ 3000 miles ) it's back..Bit the bullet, and had the balancing + alignment done at Sewell.. same result! Have nearly new OEM tires ( Michelin Latitude HP ) with around 7k miles, brakes are fine, rims are true ( had'em checked ), suspension is fine..

It's this 1 thing that's driving me crazy with the GX..
Old 01-17-23, 10:21 AM
tscho
4th Gear

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Also in the DFW ( Grapevine ) area, and have been dealing with the same issue... Getting a Road Force Balance alleviates the issue for a while, but then ( ~ 4 months or ~ 3000 miles ) it's back..Bit the bullet, and had the balancing + alignment done at Sewell.. same result! Have nearly new OEM tires ( Michelin Latitude HP ) with around 7k miles, brakes are fine, rims are true ( had'em checked ), suspension is fine..

It's this 1 thing that's driving me crazy with the GX..
I agree! It has to be one of the most frustrating things to experience in a vehicle. I did get my tires road force balanced at Discount and it helped tremendously. I think I will be going through and replacing bushings, brakes, etc. over time and hopefully that will keep it solid.
It does still vibrate a little but no longer feels like I’m driving on square wheels.

I’ll keep updating here on the progress as I replace some components. May also add the Timbrens as several have mentioned positive results
Old 03-30-23, 05:09 AM
Jeff718
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default any solution to this?

I am having the same issue and i have spent nearly 1k in brakes, balancing tires and going to different shops trying to find a solution to this. I was wondering if anyone has found something to fix this. Thanks.
corpnupe85 (03-31-23)
Old 03-30-23, 12:11 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

I'm starting to believe some GXes just have this hardwired!
Old 04-02-23, 07:25 AM
tmadd
1st Gear

Default Vibration/shake. Still looking for a solution.

2013 Premium. 114K miles.
I purchased the truck in November and experienced the issue then. Put new tires on the next day but issue remained. Thus started my quest.
It seems to be between 65 & 75mph. The best way to describe it is a bounce/vibration. It's felt primarily in the front of the vehicle and not just in steering like you would a wheel, tire or rotor issue but the frequency (oscillation) is about the same. Doesn't matter if it is under load or not.
Local shop verified CV axles are good, Driveshaft and u-joints are balanced and well greased. Also a full transmission fluid exchange was done. Upper and lower control arm bushings look good. There is no vertical play in the wheels (My own observation). Tires balanced four times. Road force balanced as well. Four wheel alignment. Rear airbags replaced.(slow leak discovered) One tie rod replaced. Complete set of new wheels and tires were used for testing purposes only. No change. All this also performed by local shop.
Took to a local Lexus dealer. Ran their multi-point inspection and all green.
Visual inspection revealed “front KDSS actuator slowly leaking”.
My question: anyone experience KDSS issues with similar symptoms as described or actuator replacement? $3300.00 repair at the dealership. $2800.00 at my local shop.
FYI: had no codes thrown.
This truck runs great and is extremely clean. Really need to figure this out.
TIA!

Taken by Lexus dealership
corpnupe85 (04-03-23)
Old 08-25-23, 12:08 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Question 55-70 MPH Steering Vibration not getting resolved!

Hi all.. So, ever since I bought the GX ( pre-owned, from echo park ) the vehicle has been plagued with steering vibration that occurs between 55 - 70 mph!
I've been to the dealer and have had multiple servicing and/or replaced a bunch of parts ( front shocks to fix a lean issue [covered by warranty thankfully], to new tires [Michelin Defender LT], to wheels [F-Sport], to multiple road force balances and alignments, and the latest was brakes [ powerstop, all 4 rotors and pads + brake fluid flush, not installed by the dealer] ) and the issue still persists! The dealership checked the ball joints, control arms, wheel bearings etc.. all ok!

The wheels are new ( 3 months old, at most, bought directly from Lexus ) and the tires have ~16K miles on them, rotated frequently at this point!

What's really strange is it does not happen every time, even when driving on the same roads that it happens on! I'm truly at my wits end on what else to do here.. Been searching for an experienced indy shop ( DFW, TX ) that could zero in on the issue, but so far in vain!

Another oddity is when I first replaced the tires ( mounted on the original OEM silver wheels that the GX came with ) the issue went away completely, only to return after the 1st scheduled rotation ( @ 5k miles ) and never completely went away after that ( even with road force balancing and alignments ). Later, I replaced the OEM silver alloy wheels with OEM F-Sport ones, and once again, the issue went away completely only to return again after a rotation at the next scheduled 5K mile interval and, has persisted intermittently hence to date

Some days there's no vibration, and other times its mild or pretty bad as soon as I approach 55mph.. thru 70 and then goes away! ( smooth as glass under 55 and over 70 )

Also, the vehicle appears to lose alignment rather easily. It's been 3 weeks ( ~500 miles ) since the last road force and alignment ( dealer ) and it appears to be pulling to one side ( steering needs to be titled to the right ) again.. sigh!

What do I do ? All suggestions and thoughts are welcome!
Plz respond

Last edited by m5rahul; 08-25-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-25-23, 12:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

I had a similar front vibration that came and went like that years ago. It disappeared after replacing with these front bump stops.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...TTOFTAC4A.html

This will tighten up the front end some as they are in contact at all times
Peacebay (08-25-23)
Old 08-26-23, 12:12 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Believe you stated ... Road Force Balancing ... Wheels are 106.1mm Bore (for concentric alignment with the hub when mounted).

Alignment and Bump Stops have nothing to do with rotational imbalance. Forget the dealership and take to Discount Tire for Road Force Balancing. I assume you are not dealing with "flatspotting" where the imbalance goes away after 3-5 miles of rotation and the tread warms up.

Last edited by ASE; 08-26-23 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 01:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

On '10-'12 there was this potential issue with steering rack as well

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues