GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 07:06 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Believe you stated ... Road Force Balancing ... Wheels are 106.1mm Bore (for concentric alignment with the hub when mounted).

Alignment and Bump Stops have nothing to do with rotational imbalance. Forget the dealership and take to Discount Tire for Road Force Balancing. I assume you are not dealing with "flatspotting" where the imbalance goes away after 3-5 miles of rotation and the tread warms up.
I've had the GX road force balanced at the dealership last month ( ~ 3 weeks now ) .. Are you recommending getting it done again, at Discount Tire now instead ?
Old 08-26-23, 07:15 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad
On '10-'12 there was this potential issue with steering rack as well

Thank you Acrad, I strongly feel this TSB should be applicable to all GXs thru 2023!.. I'll talk with the dealership about this potential fix on Monday. Perhaps, I should try a different dealership ( there are at least 3 around me )
Old 08-27-23, 07:42 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
I've had the GX road force balanced at the dealership last month ( ~ 3 weeks now ) .. Are you recommending getting it done again, at Discount Tire now instead ?
Discount Tire only does tires ... with the appropriate equipment and trained employees for that business model.
At many dealerships, the minimum wage oil change "technician" who got fired from McDonald's last month
also does tire balancing. First pursue the Service Bulliten since your dealership is responsible for the tire balance consideration. Beyond that ... get a second opinion by going to Discount Tire to see what the Road Force numbers look like.
The following users liked this post:
m5rahul (08-28-23)
Old 08-27-23, 09:00 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Thank you Acrad, I strongly feel this TSB should be applicable to all GXs thru 2023!.. I'll talk with the dealership about this potential fix on Monday. Perhaps, I should try a different dealership ( there are at least 3 around me )
Is the specified fix just for a spring, or the entire rack?

My '23 does this mildly, and occasionally. Both the GXs I test drove - pre-22 models - did it, too.

Mark
Old 08-27-23, 09:35 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Here is the full TSB. It was just a spring replacement but rack has to be pulled to replace. Not saying this is issue but interestingly similar symptoms at speed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0020-12-2-.pdf

ScaldedDog (08-27-23)
Old 08-27-23, 11:15 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Here is the full TSB. It was just a spring replacement but rack has to be pulled to replace. Not saying this is issue but interestingly similar symptoms at speed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0020-12-2-.pdf
Thanks for that!! It's a lot of work to add what amounts to a steering stabilizer. Forgive me for not reading this whole thread, as someone may have tried this and reported results, but I wonder if adding a degree of castor would help?

Mark
Old 08-30-23, 01:57 PM
danny112
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a brand new '23 GX -- 400 miles on it currently -- I have a engine sound -- Sounds like a metallic burble at idle -- seat vibrates -- sound get strong near driver side wheel well -- Is this normal or should I have the dealer look at it?

Also any PPF recommendations in NYC?
Old 08-30-23, 01:59 PM
hoverta
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danny112
Picked up a brand new '23 GX -- 400 miles on it currently -- I have a engine sound -- Sounds like a metallic burble at idle -- seat vibrates -- sound get strong near driver side wheel well -- Is this normal or should I have the dealer look at it?

Also any PPF recommendations in NYC?
That doesn't sound right to me. I'd have the dealer check it out.
Old 08-31-23, 11:35 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Okay so wanted provide an update. Went to Discount Tire and had'em do a road force. The vibration is diminished by at least 75-80%! That's a huge win IMO ( Thank you @ASE )

Since there is still some, I had DTD look at it again and they said the tires ( 2 rears - out of round and the both fronts have a shimmy ) resulting in whatever vibration issues remain, post balancing.

The road force values are : ( attached pic as well )
1. Front Left ( driver ) - 13
2. Front Right ( passenger ) - 12
3. Rear Left - 26
4. Rear Right - 52

Gonna have to go talk with Costco since these were purchased thru them, and I hope they work with me on getting an exchange.

Acrad (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 11:55 AM
hoverta
Rookie

Okay so wanted provide an update. Went to Discount Tire and had'em do a road force. The vibration is diminished by at least 75-80%! That's a huge win IMO ( Thank you @ASE )

Since there is still some, I had DTD look at it again and they said the tires ( 2 rears - out of round and the both fronts have a shimmy ) resulting in whatever vibration issues remain, post balancing.

The road force values are : ( attached pic as well )
1. Front Left ( driver ) - 13
2. Front Right ( passenger ) - 12
3. Rear Left - 26
4. Rear Right - 52

Gonna have to go talk with Costco since these were purchased thru them, and I hope they work with me on getting an exchange.

That's good. Hopefully you get some positive results with Costco. I didn't go to Costco because of my fear they'd do something like this (not balancing the tires well). I just went to Discount Tire directly and had them price match Costco at the time. That and the fact that my Costco has a habit of badly scratching rims and then claiming they didn't.
Old 09-01-23, 07:05 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Don't want to spread misinformation ... but Costco did originally sell "blems" years ago ... that were not necessarily cosmetic issues ... tires that were borderline spec. Maybe different today ... but for me any minor cost savings is not worth the risk or compromise buying from a non tire dedicated business.

Discount Tire for me ... have the high-end road-force equipment, trained employees and an extensive national network ... and do not argue when things are clearly not right.

Out-of-Round cannot be addressed short of replacement ... with Out-of-True many times exceeding a reasonable amount of weight(s) to address.

Last edited by ASE; 09-01-23 at 07:28 AM.
m5rahul (09-01-23)
Old 09-01-23, 07:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Discount went out of the way to obtain a warranty replacement on a Michelin that was out of round and installed on vehicle by the previous owner's Lexus dealer.

I had no documentation and they contacted the dealer to work out whatever they needed.

While I did pick up some snow tires from Costco a few years back 90% of my tire purchase and work goes to Discount Tire these days.
m5rahul (09-01-23)
Old 09-01-23, 08:22 AM
hoverta
Rookie

Discount went out of the way to obtain a warranty replacement on a Michelin that was out of round and installed on vehicle by the previous owner's Lexus dealer.

I had no documentation and they contacted the dealer to work out whatever they needed.

While I did pick up some snow tires from Costco a few years back 90% of my tire purchase and work goes to Discount Tire these days.
I would second the opinion that Discount Tire is the way to go for tires. Had a few issues over the years with nails in tires and they always come through if you have their warranty certificate. In one case even though the tire was purchased elsewhere they worked to get it replaced under warranty. Yes, sometimes they cost a bit more than Costco but I've found that their workmanship and positive attitude (crossing fingers it all stays that way) to be worth the extra cost.

And since some GXs seem to be more sensitive to tire balance I would definitely just go to Discount in order to have them do Road Force if that need arises.
m5rahul (09-01-23)
Old 09-02-23, 07:29 AM
ASE
Pole Position

As before ... and now with my current 2019 GX460 ... and my current 2012 FJ Cruiser ... Discount Tire ... and always insist on Road-Force balancing. They will not do RF unless specifically requested ... equipment is very expensive... and the process more labor intensive. But for the Toyota body-on-frame platform(s) is absolutely necessary IMHO.

Last edited by ASE; 09-02-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-02-23, 01:29 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Just got back from Costco, and they've scheduled me for next week for checking and verifying DTDs claim. Basically, its a process.. Take each tire off and check for any issues. Once validated, file a claim with Michelin for replacement. Not sure how long this will take...( and the Costco rep was a bit discouraging and reluctant ) but considering I spent ~$1100 on these tires not too long ago, I want it done.

Going forward, I will be going to DTD for my tires and balancing needs.

DTD said they'd match any Costco offers ( tire pricing and install ) except the 5 yr hazard certs that Costco includes.. that'd be another $35-$50/tire at DTD. Is it worth getting these certs from DTD ?

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues