GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.61%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.33%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.07%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 10:17 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear sensors went bad on my fathers 06 gx470 twice, thank god it was covered CPO. Knock on wood, the warranty is gone but has been fine since! I have since seen many first gen's either uneven on both sides, or lifted all the way up in the rear, which is actually a little scary on the highway, since it hinders cornering! That is why I opted for my new 15 gx460 without the air suspension! With that being sad the best thing about having the air suspension was the auto leveling with load! Good luck

Last edited by nysupraman; 09-10-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-09-15, 08:45 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this an issue only with the air suspension cars? i wasn't even aware you could order a gx460 without air suspension

Originally Posted by nysupraman
The rear sensors went bad on my fathers 06 gx470 twice, thank god it was covered CPO. Knock on wood warranty is gone and been fine since! I have since seen many first gen's either uneven on both sides, or lifted all the way up in the rear, which is actually a little scary on the highway, since it hinders cornering! That is why I opted for my new 15 gx460 without the air suspension! With that being sad the best thing about having the air suspension was the auto leveling with load! Good luck
Old 09-14-15, 11:24 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMushtaq
well, I got mine completely fixed.... They replaced the FL Coil Spring along with Front Side KDSS Cylinder. It is perfectly balanced now.... Only replacing Coil Spring will not fix it...
Would you please share more info on this fix? You are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-16, 10:57 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Default Leaning was fixed but went back to leaning but not as bad.

After I don't know how many times of bringing in my 2014 GX460 to the dealership, they did fix it...not. After awhile it went back to leaning. As much as I love my GX, I was offered a chance to trade it in for a 2016 RX350 and I took it. Although there will be options and features that I will miss about the GX(one of course I will definitely not miss the leaning), I believe I will be much happier with the RX. Family has grown older and bigger that we no longer need 3rd row seating. I am so looking forward to the better gas mileage with my RX-hoping for 20+ mi. I was only averaging 14.1 mi on my GX-streets and highway.
For those GX owners, I hope you are able to resolve your leaning issues. Mine was never resolved. Even though I did have this one major issue, my wife and I are still staying with Lexus.
Old 02-06-16, 04:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I see GXs on the road all the time and have never seen a single one of them lean. Your was almost for sure an anomaly, and I'm dumbfounded the dealer could not fix it. It could only be one of a couple of simple reasons. Replace air shocks, replace sensor...or you are carrying sandbags on one side . I guess it's possible that the KDSS system could be a cause as well.

I would have thought Lexus factory technicians would have been all over it.
Old 02-06-16, 10:25 AM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4 month old GX460 which I love, no leaning, but I have seen at least two other leaning GX460s parked around town. It is a real issue for these cars and its frustrating that the cause and fix are not clearly stated by Lexus. Whether that’s because they don’t really understand it, or are just being less than transparent is just more murkiness added to this situation.
Old 03-28-16, 06:10 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by blessmetwo
We have filed a Lemon Law complaint (Texas Dept of Motor Vehicles Cause No. 15-0124 CAF, Case Number: 15-0124 CAF/WID# 823925), specifically concerning this defect. We are going to an Examiners Hearing on May 20, 2015 in Victoria, Texas. The Texas State Depart of Motor Vehicles is bring this to court on behalf of us. We are asked that Lexus repurchases this vehicle. We feel Lexus should take responsibility for putting this defective vehicle on the market. Further, we content it remains defective despite Lexus' claim of bringing it up to 'spec' or within 'tolerance'. It is not to a level of acceptance to us. This does not help when you sit in the vehicle. We feel if this leaning results an accident whereas it is found that 'similar issues' contributed to this accident directly or indirectly, the responsibility lies with Lexus. Lexis has been in denial and though the dealership acknowledges there's a problem, they promise everything but produce nothing. The GX460 was with them for 97 days and they were not able to adequately level.
Going through this thread (linked in a current thread) I noticed this post nearly a year ago but no follow up - it's his only post on the forum. Does anyone know the outcome? Just curious. Also, has anyone with a 2015-16 had this issue?
Old 03-30-16, 05:51 AM
pb360
Driver School Candidate

Wondering the same thing. I've got a 2010 premium with air suspension. Didn't notice the lean when I bought it. It's about half inch to passenger side and seems worse sometimes and better others. Dealer said, "it was within specs" as 3/4 of an inch is the threshold for the repair.

I wonder if anyone has any follow up that this issue has been resolved. Seems like there are conflicting reports. Some say the spring thing fixed, while others talk about the cylinder replacement. Hard to fathom, they 1. Aren't acknowledging that a 1/2 inch lean is off enough to warrant fix and 2. They can't just fix it. My go 470 was flawless. Drove straight and was level. My gx460 has the drift to the right that's annoying.
Old 04-15-16, 04:13 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaning Issue?

Have anyone completely resolve the leaning issue on the GX460?

Still an eyesore to view the GX460 from the rear!!!
Old 04-17-16, 07:15 PM
saranr
Driver School Candidate

I am in the market for 2014 luxury GX. Should I be concerned about the leaning issue? Do most of the 2014 GX have this issue or its isolated to few vehicles.
Old 04-19-16, 05:23 AM
jjscsix
Racer

My 2016 looks like it was leaning sitting in the garage one day. I measured about a 1/2 inch difference. But most of the time I don't see a lean. It's my wife's and we have left home for work at the same time and I have followed her and don't see a lean. We have the air suspension and I think sometimes I'm just catching it when it adjusts a little differently then gets shut off.

Generally speaking I don't see many on the road leaning. I have a friend I work with who also has one with the air suspension and I have never seen hers lean. Hers is a 2015 and she has had it nearly a year and a half.
Old 04-19-16, 02:20 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Mine seems to leans toward the right (rear right) about 1/2 to 3/4" when its tank is near empty - I need to keep a log of this because some days it leans and some days I can't see it....parked at the same spot in the garage. Mentioned multiple times to dealer but still no help (can't duplicate). Dealer general manager said that his friend's GX also has the same problem and still no help...
Old 04-19-16, 04:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So is this KDSS relate or the rear air or both?
Old 04-19-16, 06:21 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Thought there was a TSB for this issue. Something about the GX primarily being a right hand drive vehicle and Lexus using the same springs/shocks that are made for RHD, on the LHD vehicles. There's a huge thread in here somewhere going way back in time...
Old 04-19-16, 08:25 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Thought there was a TSB for this issue. Something about the GX primarily being a right hand drive vehicle and Lexus using the same springs/shocks that are made for RHD, on the LHD vehicles. There's a huge thread in here somewhere going way back in time...
There are several threads but this is the biggest one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...not-level.html

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean