GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.61%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.33%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.07%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 06:58 AM
pb360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 premium is leaning. Front right is lower and yes there is a TSB, but it is limited to certain VIN numbers, vehicles with fewer than 50k miles and also must be at least 3/4". So, they will address the issue with those caveats. Mine is only .5", so I'm out of luck and not happy about it. I don't understand how Lexus can acknowledge an issue exists, yet have so many guidelines.

It does get worse as the tank empties out....Lexus techs are instructed to measure the vehicle while the tank is full. There's a lot of discussion about what causes are and the ultimate fix. I have read some people have had the spring replaced and the fix improves but doesn't totally fix it. Others have said they have had the KDSS cylinder replaced and that fixes it.

Coming from a 2004 fully loaded gx470, I love my 460. There are a lot of great upgrades and the ride is awesome. It's a little sluggish (not very quick) and my mileage averages 17 mpg as opposed to the 470, which was about 19.
Old 04-28-16, 09:29 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

2015 here with 5k or so on the ODO, not as noticeable as some of you posted, however I have OCD and the right rear is definitely lower than the left rear! I brought it up at the first service appointment and brought along the TSB and a tape measure to make sure it was obvious. The service advisor told me after the car was done that it was for up to 2014 models (as stated in the TSB) and the car was still "within spec". Next service I will definitely try again!
Old 05-05-16, 12:50 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by nysupraman
2015 here with 5k or so on the ODO, not as noticeable as some of you posted, however I have OCD and the right rear is definitely lower than the left rear! I brought it up at the first service appointment and brought along the TSB and a tape measure to make sure it was obvious. The service advisor told me after the car was done that it was for up to 2014 models (as stated in the TSB) and the car was still "within spec". Next service I will definitely try again!
This is just like my case. Dealer said "oh, it's within spec"...The craziest thing is that some days it leans a lot and some days it does NOT....Another day I put 2-5gal water jugs on the right rear passenger floor and I said to myself "what the hell is wrong with the GX"...came check it out the water is heavy enough to cause it leans so excessively.
Old 05-27-16, 08:05 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

My leaning is different for different days. I think it settles itself, however, the tirewear is affected. The driver side is worn on the inside while the passenger is worn more on the outside. Last week I measure the height difference and it was more than 1" higher on the driver side comparing to the left. I measure it again yesterday and it was around 0.5". What should I do? If I take to the dealer and the lean is within spec then they would not do anything right? BTW, mine is '14 Lux with air suspension.
Old 09-12-16, 04:32 PM
BiloxiGuy
Driver School Candidate

Default Any updates?

Any updates to this issue? The only reason that I ask is because we own a 2006 GX470 that we love, but is starting to show her age a little bit, and know that we will need to replace her at some point. So I have been following this issue with no clear fix that I am aware of, and then I found this thread in the link below, which seems identical to what the 460's are going through, except it is the early 470's:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...p-leaning.html

Interesting...

Old 09-29-16, 04:24 PM
Puch
Driver School Candidate

My 2011 Ultra Premium with air suspension (94k Kms) leans the opposite way. Lower on the driver side. It is about 1/2" lower in the front and 1/4" in the rear. The dealer advised that the driver side front spring is weak and will be replacing it next week. We'll see if that fixes the issue.
Old 10-04-16, 07:52 PM
Puch
Driver School Candidate

Quick update: dealer installed a new front DS spring today and the truck leans even worse to the left now. I don't understand how a stronger (newer) spring could possibly cause increased sagging. Is it possible that the rear air suspension is out of whack and over compensating for what it believes is uneven ground level? I will take it back to them to figure this mess out.
Old 10-19-16, 05:55 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well I had the same problem of it sagging on the passenger side. I had it into lexus for the spring replacement TSB. it is sitting level now. though when I did my tire rotation all they did was throw in one of the crappy coil spring spacers that you get at like jc whittny or autozone. you place it inbetween the coils of the spring and use a ratchet to turn it into place and it pushes the spring apart. I really don't like that kinda fix. though it does sit level and I do not notice any difference in ride quality
Old 10-25-16, 05:12 AM
pb360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by machine323
well I had the same problem of it sagging on the passenger side. I had it into lexus for the spring replacement TSB. it is sitting level now. though when I did my tire rotation all they did was throw in one of the crappy coil spring spacers that you get at like jc whittny or autozone. you place it inbetween the coils of the spring and use a ratchet to turn it into place and it pushes the spring apart. I really don't like that kinda fix. though it does sit level and I do not notice any difference in ride quality
what at did they use? Are they metal or rubber? I agree would rather have the spring replaced. But, I also hate the leaning.
Old 02-08-17, 01:52 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMushtaq
well, I got mine completely fixed.... They replaced the FL Coil Spring along with Front Side KDSS Cylinder. It is perfectly balanced now.... Only replacing Coil Spring will not fix it...

Would like to see the part number of the front side KDSS cylinder that was used.

Just purchased a 2011, CPO, and noticed the lean to the right while parked on level ground. Looking at the TSB it reads that it applies to vehicles under the original warranty. Anyone have this performed while under the CPO warranty?

If a new KDSS is required with the one front spring, I wonder if there is a set of front springs that could be used to work with the original KDSS. Perhaps a longer front right, or a shorter front left spring.

Any ideas?

Let me add that my 2011 is a base without air suspension.

Last edited by GX4602011; 02-08-17 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-20-17, 01:42 AM
Late9Sound
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lean issue

My new 3 weeks old Gx premium model lean toward driver side. I did some measure and it is .75" higher on passenger front side and .50" higher on passenger on the rear. Took it to the dealer and they said that is normal/within specs and they refused to do anything to fix that. Had anyone have similar issue with their Gx and able to get Lexus dealer to fix it or able to get Lexus to refund. I find it ridiculous to pay $55,000 for a car that is lean on one side and that is considered normal. Please advise.
The following users liked this post:
andres0603 (12-08-20)
Old 02-20-17, 08:29 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Here is a thread about that.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...not-level.html
Old 02-20-17, 10:21 AM
Late9Sound
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link though I have seen it when I googled before I posted the question, Questions is what do I do now that the dealership refused to correct the problem. Anyone successfully file a claim with attorney to get this resolve, etc....
Old 02-20-17, 01:23 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Late9Sound
Thanks for the link though I have seen it when I googled before I posted the question, Questions is what do I do now that the dealership refused to correct the problem. Anyone successfully file a claim with attorney to get this resolve, etc....
Well, it tried but same response as "it's within range" crap.
Old 02-20-17, 03:09 PM
Late9Sound
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried talking to attorney. I am thinking about that or talk to local TV station to come to interview them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Late9Sound:
andres0603 (12-08-20), John00 (08-21-19)

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean