GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.61%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.33%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.07%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 05:18 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
You wanted to buy a GX, but are taking it off your list because of *this* benign issue?
I suspect there will be no cars left for you once you start looking into each one...
I know there are no perfect vehicles. It is just a matter of "range", spectrum.

I mean, some issues are annoying but not critical. Others, on the other hand, I deem critical. Maybe I'm wrong - very likely, I will admit, as I don't have any experience with GXs - but I think this one is critical. Don't you agree? I mean, if the vehicle is severely affected it can even be considered a safety issue.

So I rather wait a little. Or buy something else. So many options out there.

It will probably be a Toyota anyways. I have lots of respect for the brand. Had a few Toyotas in my life and never ever had an issue. And they all went above 100k miles. One above 200k miles. (you know that already, but it is worth mentioning anyways).

From sedans to minivans to trucks, my Toyotas were always very reliable. I'm a fan. What I really wanted was a Prado - I prefer the look - but the GX would serve me just as well. A vehicle that I plan to keep for 10 to 15 years.

Old 12-24-18, 07:12 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Don't Rule It Out

PPRJ,
Here is my perspective. Only a few months into my GX 460 experience, but my 2013 CPO, with 30,000 miles is one of the most satisfying vehicles I've ever owned. It's comfortable, luxurious, and very off road capable. Cruising almost silently while enjoying the Mark Levinson stereo, I can push the pedal down and enjoy the sound of a V-8 instead of a straining V-6. In my travels throughout various combat hell holes in the world, I have seen tortured, abused, and neglected Land Cruiser Prados chugging along unfazed...and the GX is a Prado, only with added luxury.

Does my KDSS lean? No, but if it did, I would play around with a solution and continue to enjoy a remarkable vehicle. Don't rule it out just yet.
Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-24-18)
Old 12-24-18, 07:57 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpirate
PPRJ,
Here is my perspective. Only a few months into my GX 460 experience, but my 2013 CPO, with 30,000 miles is one of the most satisfying vehicles I've ever owned. It's comfortable, luxurious, and very off road capable. Cruising almost silently while enjoying the Mark Levinson stereo, I can push the pedal down and enjoy the sound of a V-8 instead of a straining V-6. In my travels throughout various combat hell holes in the world, I have seen tortured, abused, and neglected Land Cruiser Prados chugging along unfazed...and the GX is a Prado, only with added luxury.

Does my KDSS lean? No, but if it did, I would play around with a solution and continue to enjoy a remarkable vehicle. Don't rule it out just yet.
Chuck
I appreciate that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-18, 08:23 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

its about known vs unknown for me. an older GX has a known list of issues, a new gen who knows? Another potential lean fix would be to just completely close the valves or install caps once its level. Perhaps removing the fluid, or putting in a lighter weight could be tried. I've had 4runners, and I appreciate the v8 in the GX for those times when its really needed.
I got the GX because it was the best for my needs, first being reliability. If you go to look at a used GX you should be able to test drive it and also check out the lean, even have them install a spacer as a condition to purchase.
My opinion is that the lean isn't anything to be concerned about. And if youre ever going to change the suspension or lift it then the lean matters even less. Check for vibe at 65, and look up other common issues to check for.
for reliability, comfort, capability (including parking where a bigger SUV might not fit), features, and resale if you would ever sell it in the next decade, the GX is either the best or in the top 2 or 3 depending on how you personally weigh certain factors.
Old 12-24-18, 09:27 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Acrad already posted the fix through the TSB.

/endthread
Old 12-24-18, 09:49 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by User21c
You wanted to buy a GX, but are taking it off your list because of *this* benign issue?
I suspect there will be no cars left for you once you start looking into each one...
I agree, especially with a used GX, as this is something that has a decent chance of being correctable or being a trivial "while parked" issue. If it leans when parked, then of course one should approach with due caution as with any used car. Easy enough to see if it flattens out when driving by having a friend follow during test drive; maybe get permission from owner to let you try spirited cornering towards side of car leaning to see if that corrects it. If lean over 20mm and it uses struts/meets TSB requirement, then a free fix may be available. Otherwise, it could be a lovely basis for negotiating initiative I would think. OTOH, if you have a degree of OCD that would make you fret maybe the GX isn't "The One."
Old 12-24-18, 09:51 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by ltsr
Acrad already posted the fix through the TSB.

/endthread
That's A fix--not THE fix for all instances.
/notendthread (necessarily)
Old 12-24-18, 10:08 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
That's A fix--not THE fix for all instances.
/notendthread (necessarily)
what are the other fixes?
Old 12-24-18, 10:25 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by ltsr

what are the other fixes?
I'm sorry; I hope this is a small thing. With respect, I recommend rereading the entire thread and noting the other things folks have done to fix or ameliorate with different lean directions and suspension setups and check back if still confident there are no other fixes/not a possible variety of causes.
Old 12-24-18, 10:33 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

I'm sorry; I hope this is a small thing. With respect, I recommend rereading the entire thread and noting the other things folks have done to fix or ameliorate with different lean directions and suspension setups and check back if still confident there are no other fixes/not a possible variety of causes.
I’ve read everything here. Did I miss something? The TSB is a fix from Toyota/Lexus. That’s THE fix, they even updated it to include vehicles up to 2018.
Old 12-24-18, 10:45 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

That's their fix for a particular situation; that situation does not apply to, for example, trucks that lean the opposite way or use different suspension parts. It does not apply for vehicles leaning, say, less than 20 mm either. But let's just drop this; not worth quibbling.
Old 12-24-18, 10:51 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
2010 and newer GX's have as standard a feature that was previously an option.
The Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System "KDSS" links the front and rear suspensions
hydraulically. No dash lights, no switches or buttons, it is active all the time. Works
very well by transferring cornering forces to other wheels to minimize leaning in turns.
What appears to go wrong is while parked one side will settle more than the other.
Usually limited to an inch or so but does manifest itself as a bit of body lean.
How does it relates to air suspension? I am just wondering.
Old 12-24-18, 11:05 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

That's their fix for a particular situation; that situation does not apply to, for example, trucks that lean the opposite way or use different suspension parts. It does not apply for vehicles leaning, say, less than 20 mm either. But let's just drop this; not worth quibbling.
who said anything about trucks leaning the opposite way? Different suspension parts? If a truck is leaning less than 20mm as you say then it’s a non-issue. We’re talking about the common lean addressed by the TSB. The TSB should end the discussion. I have an appointment for the TSB in a week and half, I’ll update to let everyone know if Lexus fixes it.
The following users liked this post:
Im4real1 (01-11-19)
Old 02-10-19, 06:57 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Another KDSS Lean Question

So I’ve looked at a few 12-13 GX and they’ve all had some issues, some of which I’m ok with and some not. Latest one I saw yesterday checked all the right boxes, but I noticed it was leaning towards passenger side while parked. It was a 13 with under 60k miles and no air suspension. Does the lean correct itself once started up and driving? Im hoping this is the case and not a permanent lean. I’ve dug the archives and have read for hours but can’t find a definitive answer. TIA.
Old 02-10-19, 11:47 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

There is the TSB for replacement spring, potentially some kind of spacer, maybe the use of a Timbren on the front right as well in addition to just driving hard into the opposite direction. Mine has never exhibited it...at least noticeable to me and I am pretty OC at times. :-)

Reference for others as I assume you have already read through this thread.

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean