GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.61%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.33%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.07%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 03:34 PM
mike202
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Awesome, so changing the front left(driver side) coil spring corrected all four corners? Was the difference between the front left and front right more than 20 mm before correction?
On mine, both front and rear was low on the right side about 1". Now after the new left front spring is installed. the front is level and the rear is low on the right about 1/4". So the TSB did get the rear to less than 20mm.

One other thing is that I disconnected the upper ball joint and control arm sway bar attachment to remove the strut, per several YouTube videos. The video I posted above seems like less work. I needed to wrestle the sway bar back into place with a floor jack and a ratchet strap.

Last edited by mike202; 01-21-23 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 09:50 PM
Pnoi4u
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from Fresno too and Fresno Lexus just replaced my Front Left spring, under warranty, with the one on the TSB. It is the same one that you replaced yours with. However, you said you replaced the front passenger. The TSB said to replace the front left or front driver which mine was replaced. Anyhow, my lean is still there and is about a 0.69" and 0.94" difference in the front and rear, respectively. Two questions for you. Did you in fact replace your front passenger or front right? If you got the part indicated on the TSB I'm wondering if it will even fit the front right strut. I'm curious if I should wait a little longer for the spring to "break-in" and I'm hoping that will fix the lean like what happened with yours.
Old 08-10-23, 05:58 AM
mike202
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnoi4u
I'm from Fresno too and Fresno Lexus just replaced my Front Left spring, under warranty, with the one on the TSB. It is the same one that you replaced yours with. However, you said you replaced the front passenger. The TSB said to replace the front left or front driver which mine was replaced. Anyhow, my lean is still there and is about a 0.69" and 0.94" difference in the front and rear, respectively. Two questions for you. Did you in fact replace your front passenger or front right? If you got the part indicated on the TSB I'm wondering if it will even fit the front right strut. I'm curious if I should wait a little longer for the spring to "break-in" and I'm hoping that will fix the lean like what happened with yours.
Note sure who you are replying to. If to Mike202, then I replaced the drivers side (left side). The TSB is very clear on what side needs to be replaced.

The TSB says lean less than 0.79" is acceptable. What does the dealer say about the .94" difference?

What are your before and after measurements?

Last edited by mike202; 08-10-23 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-10-23, 07:17 AM
Pnoi4u
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mike202
Note sure who you are replying to. If to Mike202, then I replaced the drivers side (left side). The TSB is very clear on what side needs to be replaced.

The TSB says lean less than 0.79" is acceptable. What does the dealer say about the .94" difference?

What are your before and after measurements?
I was replying to gx460bbq post dated 8/4/22 and 10/7/22, but I appreciate the comment. I haven't brought it up to my Lexus dealer yet. Before I took the car home I looked at the rear and it looked slightly leaning, but couldn't be sure if it was out of spec until I measured it when I got home, which I did. The results is what I posted. I was thinking of waiting for the springs to "break-in" before I took it back to them (as indicated by gx460bbq's 10/7 post), but my problem is my warranty is expiring in a month. My measurements before for the rear was 1.5"-ish and after they replaced the spring it's 0.94".
Old 08-13-23, 01:53 PM
tpoulson
2nd gear

Wish I would’ve checked this forum for issues prior to buying my 2020 new to me GX 460 a month ago. I would’ve never guessed this would be an issue this long on the GX models. I bought this certified GX from a Lexus dealership out of town without checking it out first, shame on me.
I never would’ve guessed they could sell a certified Lexus with this issue unresolved. Of course, I’ve taken it to a dealership here in the Denver area and they claim that because it’s within the TSB spec they won’t cover it under warranty. That’s such BS. When I first drove into the dealership the service manager noticed and commented on the the lean immediately. I bought the replacement spring myself and I’ll have it installed in the hopes it will solve it. This is the third GX I have owned. First two were fantastic vehicles, and frankly, I wish I had my 2009 back. At least it went to good home. My nephew needed a newer vehicle and he loves it.

Last edited by tpoulson; 08-19-23 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-18-23, 05:34 PM
tpoulson
2nd gear

Here’s a follow up of what I’ve done to correct the lean issue in my GX. As I stated above the Lexus dealership in Lakewood Colorado would not repair my vehicle because they said it was not out of spec. It’s interesting there was 2014 TSB on this issue and updated in 2021 to include even more and newer vehicles And Lexus doesn’t think this is a problem? Before I replaced the spring, the right front was 34 inches, the left front was 34 7/8ths, right rear was 35 inches and the left rear was 36 inches. Let’s just say noticeably leaning when driving or even just siting in the garage. I’m guessing most car folks would think this is a problem. I bought the replacement spring and had a very good alignment shop replace it. Problem solved. The measurements are now, right front 34 3/8 inches, left front is 34 3/8, right rear is 35 1/4 and left rear is 35 inches. I measured both springs and they both measured 13 1/2 inches tall. The only thing I can think of is that the spring rate is different. Anyway, problem solved for now. This experience reminds me how little I trust dealerships. I bought this car certified, which gave me four free oil changes. Absolutely no way in I’m going back to the dealership for those oil changes. I believe there are some additional aftermarket solutions for the rear lean but It’s really not bad enough at this point to address.

Last edited by tpoulson; 08-19-23 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-14-23, 04:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Care Care Nut's KDSS Lean and fix @ 12:09

Old 10-14-23, 11:18 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

His KDSS issue discussion was on-point!
Old 10-16-23, 07:44 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

Unfortunately the spring replacement solution appears to be only for stock suspension. The only aftermarket solution that I can think of would be to add a spacer to the passenger side strut, to lift it to same level as driver side.
Old 10-16-23, 10:23 AM
mbdtex
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This video describes it being a TSB and how it’s fixed:

Old 10-16-23, 10:43 AM
suitcase
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a spacer installed on the front passenger side strut, but it caused other problems - namely the driver side KDSS shock running into the back-side of the skid plate. The original designer of the spacer told me he no longer recommends it for the front since it extends the KDSS shock too far down and increases the likelihood of it falling out under certain off-road conditions. The spacer didn't fix the lean either. The GX was leaning before and after the spacer. I'll have a lean that varies from I can't tell it's leaning to I can tell. I have a small lift so I'm not expecting any help from the dealer. I've never measured the lean to be more than 20mm which I as I understand is still within spec. There are YouTube DIY videos on fixing the lean. There's also a switch that allows KDSS to be turned off and I was told that cycling through turning off/on can help fix. Haven't tried either of those myself since the lean is still within spec and I don't want to mess with KDSS.
Old 10-16-23, 10:49 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

The spacer I was referring to is actually for the front wheel strut, not the KDSS spacer. I've also tried that KDSS front spacer but removed it soon after due to the issues you mentioned.
Good call on the KDSS switch, I was also thinking about that and may give it a try, since that would be easier than disassembling the front shock to install a spacer.
Old 10-16-23, 11:46 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Care Care Nut's KDSS Lean and fix @ 12:09

https://youtu.be/M-4QcN0GnK4?t=729
Reading the comments in the video on YouTube, this one I found interesting. I'd like to know more.
"@gavinspring1350 1 day ago
Great vehicle. Here in Australia my Prado Kakadu in 4.0 V6 with 5 speed auto is the equivalent. We never got the GX unfortunately. With the lean. Mine had it, and it wasn't the KDSS. It's the load levelers in the rear one on each side. There's a procedure to adjust and it fixes the lean. No new spring required. I'm thinking that's maybe the dealer's easy way out. As the level adjustment is fiddly and time consuming."
The following users liked this post:
mbdtex (10-17-23)
Old 10-16-23, 05:08 PM
Naveed23
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I own a 23 GX and it has the lean. I owned another 23 just a month ago and traded it for my current one as I really wanted the GX in nori green and my allocation order came through surprisingly. My other 23’ also had the lean.

I spoke with a service advisor at Lexus who also owns an older GX. He said the lean is normal. He said the car will level out after some time driving. My experience has been that it has not leveled out but I have noticed certain days that it’s better or almost not there so the system is doing something daily.

I also would prefer not to replace an OEM front left spring and make it shorter than the right side. This sounds like patch work and may lead to other issues down the road perhaps. The last post about the level adjustment makes more sense as a fix.

Note- The current lean was not there when I took delivery of the vehicle but it presented itself almost immediately after my drive home from the dealer which was about 80km. So it is something that the kdss did during my drive. I was the lone driver/occupant.

Last edited by Naveed23; 10-27-23 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-26-23, 01:55 PM
BillK01
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 97 miles - is this KDSS Lean?

Driver side rear fender well measurement is exactly 1” higher than passenger side rear in same measurement location. 36” vs 35”

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean