GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 03:55 PM
cploy
Driver School Candidate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I added an aftermarket tow hitch (CURT 13043) on my 2019 Luxury Trim with SPORT package. The interesting part is really how to handle the extra-long Sport bumper skirt. I simply add some spacers in between the hitch and mounting holes on the bumper. I bought the spacers from Lowes in their hardware section. 22 cents a piece. I bought 8 of them but ended up only using 4 - meaning 1 spacer height versus 2 spacers height for hitch and bumper clearance. Here are the some photos on before, during, and after installation. The entire project, from removing the trim to installation, takes no more than 20 minutes.

(1) Before installation. Original Sport package bumper.

(2) The under bumper view of the mounting holes

(3) Remove the Sport bumper trim by using a flat screwdriver to ply open the plastic fasteners (total 6 of them)

(4) Once you get an opening on the plastic fastener, you can easily remove it buy hand.

(5) Here is the sport trim removed from the bumper with 6 fasteners.

(6) Sport bumper without the rear-middle piece of trim

(7) & (8) The fastener holes on both sides of the bumper opening are quite visible. I just plug the fasteners back into the holes.

(9) & (10) Preparation for installation.

(11) You should able to spot the spacer on the left hand side in between the hitch and the mount.

(12), (13) & (14) - The finished look of the installation.

The following users liked this post:
MarkVII (05-02-20)
Old 05-01-20, 08:44 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

@cploy Thank you for posting this. I went to install this exact hitch to my '17, without the sport package, and it was still hitting the plastic bumper so I didn't tighten it all the way up. The spacers are a good idea and probably what I am going to end up doing.
Old 05-02-20, 04:41 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Do the GXs without the tow package come with the electrical light connector or does that installed too?
Old 05-02-20, 02:04 PM
cploy
Driver School Candidate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Do the GXs without the tow package come with the electrical light connector or does that installed too?
For my 2019 without original factory tow package, yes - it does come with the electrical/tow connector. No need to do any wiring. See photo.

The following users liked this post:
Acrad (05-10-20)
Old 05-02-20, 02:15 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm pretty positive that they all come pre-wired.
Old 05-02-20, 03:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I think so too but not sure about earlier years.

Perhaps this would be the extent of what was needed

PN: PT72534140

Old 05-10-20, 05:05 AM
rtx17GX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliris
It's the same for all GX460's ('10-'20)

I have one of those for sale that I took off when i installed the calss IV one. For $20 + S&H you can have it.
I’m interested if still available - sent you a friend request. Thanks!
Old 07-08-20, 06:58 AM
TowConfuse
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't understand my tow situation

I am confused about the towing / tow package on my recently purchased 2015 lexus gx460 premium. I have a need to tow a small ski boat. I googled the part and it was recommended to just install the hitch receiver. Takes 4 bolts to mount the receiver to the frame and the wiring is already on the vehicle only $115 and I can install myself.

here is the simple part i ordered

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...waAj0hEALw_wcB

There is a uhaul video that shows simple installation.

But when i looked at the OEM parts on lexus site it recommends a $350 assembly and they want another $300 to install it. it comes with wiring and and large mounting bars and everything.

I understand the aftermarket part is only 5000lb class III and the lexus is a class IV. So I am so confused why it is already equipped with mounts and wiring, what's the point if I need to get it all again to tow?. why can't I just attach the aftermarket hitch to what is already there and tow 5000lbs.

the service advisor says their part includes a transmission cooler and without it I could burn up my trans.

I just don't get why the car is pre equipped for towing but the OEM wants me to shell out all that money for a beefier assembly?

Am I cool to just attach the cheap hitch receiver and go or do I need to spend all this money on the OEM class IV assembly?

Old 07-08-20, 07:06 AM
TowConfuse
Driver School Candidate

I had same concern, but just went for it and it was fine, I thought it might hurt bumper but didn't, its tight but not that bad. i was not comfortable using spacers.
Old 07-08-20, 07:08 AM
TowConfuse
Driver School Candidate

i had same concern about bumper, but I just went for it, it is pretty tight but not too bad. I did not feel comfortable using spacers.
Old 07-08-20, 07:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Service advisor is either confusing with a GX 470 or misinformed. US models all have the same liquid cooler inside the radiator. The external air cooler that came with GX 470 tow package isn't available stock but an OEM or aftermarket air cooled AT cooler can be added.

Other thread about those topics though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-install.html

Originally Posted by TowConfuse

the service advisor says their part includes a transmission cooler and without it I could burn up my trans.
Old 07-08-20, 08:12 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by TowConfuse
I am confused about the towing / tow package on my recently purchased 2015 lexus gx460 premium. I have a need to tow a small ski boat. I googled the part and it was recommended to just install the hitch receiver. Takes 4 bolts to mount the receiver to the frame and the wiring is already on the vehicle only $115 and I can install myself.

here is the simple part i ordered

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...waAj0hEALw_wcB

There is a uhaul video that shows simple installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x_SbPg8jos

But when i looked at the OEM parts on lexus site it recommends a $350 assembly and they want another $300 to install it. it comes with wiring and and large mounting bars and everything.

I understand the aftermarket part is only 5000lb class III and the lexus is a class IV. So I am so confused why it is already equipped with mounts and wiring, what's the point if I need to get it all again to tow?. why can't I just attach the aftermarket hitch to what is already there and tow 5000lbs.

I just don't get why the car is pre equipped for towing but the OEM wants me to shell out all that money for a beefier assembly?

Am I cool to just attach the cheap hitch receiver and go or do I need to spend all this money on the OEM class IV assembly?
Only you can answer your own question. Do you want a pretend hitch, or a real full-on towing hitch ? It's all about capacity ... so which do you need for your purpose ?

My perspective ... the simple receiver type is a potential accident waiting to happen. While it may serve your lower capacity purposes, someone in the future will invariably plug in a towing situation assuming the vehicle has the full-on Lexus hitch that attaches to the side frame rails ... potentially resulting in disaster. Upside in terms of hitch capacity is never a bad thing ... and for the price is cheap insurance.

As an aside, installing the full-on Lexus hitch and electrical connector is a maximum 1-hour job ... so the $300 quote is assuming 2+ hours of labor ... a blatant ripoff that can be easily challenged. The electrical wiring harness and end-connector is installed on every GX460, so adding the towing connector is a simple plug-n-play.

Last edited by ASE; 07-08-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 08:16 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

class 3 vs class 4 hitch is really what it comes down to. there is no additional transmission cooler for the oem class 4 hitch. i went with oem for 400 installed - 275 for the hitch and 125 to have it locally installed by another shop.
Old 07-08-20, 09:12 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Old 07-08-20, 02:13 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it will depend on how heavy ur trailer is. The oem $350 package doesnt doesnt really come with new wiring. It just comes with a new bracket to attach the existing socket. I have installed both. I fist installed the small aftermarket class III to attach a bike rack, but last december i wanted to tow an RV, so i upgraded to the class IV (installed it myself). It comes with step by step instructions so if you are mechanically inclined you should be OK to do it urself. Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package