OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 09:07 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
No problem and I agree.

I just hate spreading rumors based on a lie but I had no reason not to believe them either.

These Lexus dealers are driving me insane!

The latest story about the hitch according to a parts manager is that neither they or their sister dealership have a hitch to sell as they have been put on a "Stop Sale" by Lexus and they have to send all of their hitches into Lexus to be inspected.

Basically, I have no idea what's going on.
Old 10-27-21, 02:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Believe it or not… I am told the silly reason for stop sale is bumper potentially being scratched during install.

No further info…

maybe some extra steel or while structurally sound don’t quite match previous model dimensions?

…a little more info… sounds more like there were some less careful installs…

Background info from major SW Lexus parts dealer and Lexus corporate in Texas.

Last edited by Acrad; 10-27-21 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 03:00 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acrad
Believe it or not… I am told the silly reason for stop sale is bumper potentially being scratched during install.

No further info…

maybe some extra steel or while structurally sound don’t quite match previous model dimensions?

If that's the case then....wow. I can't believe trying to get a hitch is such a PITA since towing is a large part of why I'm buying a GX.
Old 10-27-21, 07:39 PM
Thed351W
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad

No further info…

Soooooo... just go with the Curt unless you need the extra capacity? Got it.
Old 10-28-21, 03:27 AM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn’t even care about the tow package and my 2022 came with it installed. I feel bad for the people that want it. Hell I wasn’t even sure I wanted a GX but my salesman pestered the hell out of me so I went ahead and came and picked it up and so glad I did. It drives so sweet and the new interior is awesome. I’ve fallen in love with this truck. My only issue is preventing the plug from being stolen. Gxbob has a video so I’m going to follow his advice.

Last edited by AirForce8; 10-28-21 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-29-21, 10:34 AM
Zhulik
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an appointment today to get the tow hitch installed and was told by the service advisor that there is a stop-sale and all service for it has been suspended. I asked if this might have something to do with the lack of craftsmanship by the techs or anything else, he was not sure and they did not know. Still getting the clear braw installed and sounds like they might be using SunTrek instead of the 3M and providing a 10 year warranty.
Old 10-31-21, 12:54 AM
NiteDipper
Rookie

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Used OEM hitch on craigslist for anyone close enough to pick it up.
GX460 Hitch on Craigslist North San diego.
"listing gone"
I wonder if a lack of steel maybe the reason for the hitch not being available. I tried to order a garage door last week and was told there is a 6 month lead time. I couldn't believe it so I called the manufacturer and they were up front and said they couldn't get the steel.

Last edited by NiteDipper; 11-14-21 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-13-21, 09:15 AM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForce8
I didn’t even care about the tow package and my 2022 came with it installed. I feel bad for the people that want it. Hell I wasn’t even sure I wanted a GX but my salesman pestered the hell out of me so I went ahead and came and picked it up and so glad I did. It drives so sweet and the new interior is awesome. I’ve fallen in love with this truck. My only issue is preventing the plug from being stolen. Gxbob has a video so I’m going to follow his advice.
Don't feel bad, the nice thing about the GX is that they all come ready to tow, less the hitch (and there are aftermarket ones available). There is no separate tow package though some markets/model gets a supplement transmission cooler per a thread here. My salesman was alarmed to learn that the Lexus hitch was put on a 'stop-sale' stating that many of his GX customers (ordered and waiting) purchase it (over an RX etc.) to tow with. Most of us on the GX forum know exactly what the GX is, and why we want one, and will wait patiently for ours rather than allow some pestering salesman to decide for us which vehicle to buy.

I've ordered the Kurt version (around $120. online and the Kurt one is made in the USA, so quality is assured) to install and use when my 22' gets here, but i intend to purchase the Lexus (Toyota) one once it becomes available again as expected.
The following 2 users liked this post by GX4602011:
AirForce8 (01-05-22), Zhulik (11-16-21)
Old 12-01-21, 08:37 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Has anyone heard anything about when the "Stop Sale" is going to cease?

I just found out my parents are having to move in the next 3 months so being able to tow a trailer to help them would be beneficial. I really don't want to go with the Curt Class III hitch.
Old 12-02-21, 03:07 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Has anyone heard anything about when the "Stop Sale" is going to cease?

I just found out my parents are having to move in the next 3 months so being able to tow a trailer to help them would be beneficial. I really don't want to go with the Curt Class III hitch.
I bough the Curt so I have something to use until the Lexus one becomes available once again, or just in case it never becomes available again. Now around $130 on Amazon with free shipping, being lightweight with only 4 bolts, makes it a quick and simple install as well as being relatively inexpensive.
The following users liked this post:
jlficken (12-02-21)
Old 01-04-22, 12:28 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Still no Lexus tow hitch available over 3 months after it was removed from my build at the port. That's crazy!

I'm glad I got the Curt to hold me over as I have to use my trailer now to help my parents move so if I had waited for the Lexus hitch I'd be screwed currently.

Lexus is really disappointing me with this mess
Old 01-04-22, 01:06 PM
kamikazi
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Was hoping maybe anyone had heard anything on the hitch Stop Sale?
Old 01-04-22, 01:19 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kamikazi
Was hoping maybe anyone had heard anything on the hitch Stop Sale?
I wound up calling again and was told it's still on "stop sale". I'm supposed to be getting a call from a case manager tomorrow with more details, however, I won't hold my breath as I've been told that twice in the last month and didn't get a call back either time.

If I learn anything I'll be sure to update this thread.
Old 01-04-22, 01:42 PM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

Correction, I thought I saw two recent monroney stickers with a hitch on them. Looking back, they were probably 8/1/2021 builds.

Last edited by SEELEXUS; 01-04-22 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-04-22, 01:45 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
GX with hitch on the window sticker

I’ve seen two recent monroney stickers with a hitch on them. Are they coming back in stock for port installation maybe (or is it an error on the sticker)?
They were available until the end of September or early October (mine Monroney is dated 10/13) so the one you posted is from before they disappeared.

I wish I could get the hitch off of it :-)

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package