GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 11:23 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I am also waiting for the OEM hitch to be available. Current hitch is only good up to 2020 model year. Something changed in 2021 onwards that the same hitch is not compatible.

Last edited by sfuad; 01-21-22 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 02:17 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sfuad
I am also waiting for the OEM hitch to be available. Current hitch is only good up to 2020 model year. Something changed in 2021 onwards that the same hitch is not compatible.
I’m not sure anything has changed, because some websites show the part number stayed the same up to ‘22. Are you sure that the prior year hitch is incompatible?
Old 01-22-22, 03:33 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mello03
I’m not sure anything has changed, because some websites show the part number stayed the same up to ‘22. Are you sure that the prior year hitch is incompatible?
Correct. The hitch hasn’t changed as many 2022’s have already been delivered with the OEM hitch and it’s the same part number.

Lexus isn’t saying what the problem is.
Old 02-12-22, 09:16 AM
2019gx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch rubbing

Called dealer parts department today, he said they have one of the class IV hitches in stock. Though he said it has a work around order on it, and they would need to install it for me. It appears the fit isn’t as perfect as it once was and one of the plates rubs the bumper pretty badly, so they have discontinued the hitch kit until the manufacturer can build a redesigned version. He said it definitely effects the 2019 and newer body styles.
Old 02-13-22, 11:08 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Really?! I thought neither the body nor the frame has changed?
Old 02-13-22, 11:18 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Really?! I thought neither the body nor the frame has changed?

I don’t think that’s the case as the parts department isn’t given a reason. Parts departments lie in my experience.

Even Lexus corporate won’t give a reason as the rep I spoke with didn’t know the reason and couldn’t find out even with research.

2019+ also makes no sense since the facelift didn’t happen until 2020.
Old 02-17-22, 02:22 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

You know the more trips I make with my trailer loaded with wood and steel from my parents farm the more agitated I get with Lexus and the hitch situation.

I know the Class III hitch is fine for what I'm hauling but I wanted the Class IV hitch that bolted to the frame rails...it's a large part of why I went GX over 4Runner.

The fact that it's been over 4 months and they won't give a reason for why it's being held up is even more frustrating.

I've asked Curt if they'll make a Class IV hitch for it so we'll see what they say. If they say they'll make one I'll wait for it regardless of whether or not Lexus puts theirs back up for sale as they've just pissed me off.

A $350 part is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth with them that I'm pretty sure this will be my first and last Lexus product. If they'd simply state WHY it's not for sale right now I'd be more patient (and even understanding if there was a good reason), however, leaving everyone in the dark for over 4 months now is just stupid.
The following 2 users liked this post by jlficken:
ballistice (02-17-22), GX4602011 (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 12:57 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Lexus just called me and after consulting with the product team (or something like that) she was told that the old part number was discontinued and that there's a new part number. When I asked for it I was told I had to go through the dealership. I called the dealership and was told there's no new part number available yet.

I'm >< close to just giving up and keeping the Curt as it's installed, works fine, and I'm sick and tired of having to keep asking Lexus about a stupid hitch that was supposed to have been on my vehicle to begin with.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 04:21 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Lexus just called me and after consulting with the product team (or something like that) she was told that the old part number was discontinued and that there's a new part number. When I asked for it I was told I had to go through the dealership. I called the dealership and was told there's no new part number available yet.

I'm >< close to just giving up and keeping the Curt as it's installed, works fine, and I'm sick and tired of having to keep asking Lexus about a stupid hitch that was supposed to have been on my vehicle to begin with.
I hear ya man. I had to finally cancel my order on the hitch due to uncertainty when it will ship and get the Curt. I’m disgusted as well with the lack of disclosure from Lexus with the hitch. The Curt works fine for towing my SXS, but I wanted the OEM. For some reason (and I’m probably being paranoid) I just worry about the tongue weight on the Curt. I’ll probably get the OEM when it’s available since I have a special kind of OCD (my wife says) but the whole situation where no one knows anything is just dumb.
ASE (02-22-22)
Old 03-07-22, 06:04 AM
Alche
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so what legal recourse do we have here? the way I see it, lexus advertised a tow hitch with 6500 lb capacity, but without any information on when a new part is coming, it seems like false advertising to me?

on a side note, I traded in a 20' with the factory tow hitch to buy a 22 without it, I've been waiting since December.
Old 03-07-22, 06:49 AM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i just got an allocation and asked my dealer to install a tow hitch. told them that i heard the hitch had a problem. he said no issue with trailer hitch. told me $1,195 + tax installed. seems a little pricy for a towing hitch.
anyone willing to share what they recently paid for this? thanks.
Old 03-07-22, 06:52 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gladerider
i just got an allocation and asked my dealer to install a tow hitch. told them that i heard the hitch had a problem. he said no issue with trailer hitch. told me $1,195 + tax installed. seems a little pricy for a towing hitch.
anyone willing to share what they recently paid for this? thanks.

He's full of crap and won't be able to get a hitch unless it's taken off of another vehicle. $1195 installed is highway robbery as well. The hitch installed at the port is a $685 option. If you buy it yourself you can get it for ~$300 shipped (when it was available) from Lexus of Wichita ( https://parts.lexusofwichita.com/p/6...t22860140.html )

I hate dealerships (specifically salespeople) that lie and then try to bend you over for the product.

ETA: From the page linked above (WE ARE CURRENTLY PLACING THIS ITEM ON HOLD FOR RETAIL SALE. IT WILL BE AVAAILBLE FOR PURCHASE IN THE NEAR FUTURE). Given that it's been this way for almost 6 months now though I wouldn't hold my breath on it becoming available anytime "in the near future".
Old 03-07-22, 07:00 AM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

jlficken, thank for a quick response.
i guess i will wait. i can live without the hitch for a while and use the other truck until this gets resolved.
i guess the dealer was trying to find ways to squeeze some profit out of me since it was the only dealer around me willing to sell me the truck at MSRP. oh well.
jlficken (03-07-22)
Old 03-08-22, 01:38 PM
machine323
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So i needed a hitch on my '22 premium sport design for bike racks to Florida. I took it off my 2010 base and the hitch itself bolted right up. the problem came when i went to bolt on the wiring harness bracket. the top hole went fine but the bottom hole was a half hole off and the outlet was hitting the rear facia. Even if it wasn't a sport design it would still be hitting the bumper. a couple minutes with a dremel elongating the bolt holes and both bolts would be in. I didn't modify it as I will put it back on the '10 when I can buy a new Lexus bumper. (it is a bit rusty after 12 years). The Curt would not look good with the sport design as there is a rather large plastic cutout that comes off to facilitate the hitch. Yes, I know I need to wash the '10

The following 2 users liked this post by machine323:
The Ikon (03-10-22), tntcandy (03-10-22)
Old 03-09-22, 07:46 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is seriously highway robbery. I bought mine from Bell Lexus of Scottsdale, and had them ship it to Houston for $289 all in (or something close to that as I bought mine last year on sale). (https://www.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com) I took a friday afternoon off and with your run-of-the-mill DIYer garage tools (I have an impact wrench but not necessary), a floor jack, and a couple beers, I was able to install mine solo. Sure it wasn't as fast, but following a few youtube videos, and reading the instructions, its a relatively smooth install. This was on a 2018.
Hehena (03-09-22)

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package