GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-22, 08:08 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by sjz
This is seriously highway robbery. I bought mine from Bell Lexus of Scottsdale, and had them ship it to Houston for $289 all in (or something close to that as I bought mine last year on sale). (https://www.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com) I took a friday afternoon off and with your run-of-the-mill DIYer garage tools (I have an impact wrench but not necessary), a floor jack, and a couple beers, I was able to install mine solo. Sure it wasn't as fast, but following a few youtube videos, and reading the instructions, its a relatively smooth install. This was on a 2018.
Did the exact same on a 2019 ... same price from Bell Lexus ... about 40% savings over the local dealership ... including shipping ... amazing discount considering the shipping weight.
Old 03-09-22, 11:27 AM
sjz
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I will caveat that, while I would never consider myself a mechanic (don't even change my own oil, by choice), I'm handy and logical enough to understand steps and things that may fall outside those exact steps. If someone doesn't have that mindset it could be a tougher project.
The following users liked this post:
SEELEXUS (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 11:40 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by sjz
I will caveat that, while I would never consider myself a mechanic (don't even change my own oil, by choice), I'm handy and logical enough to understand steps and things that may fall outside those exact steps. If someone doesn't have that mindset it could be a tougher project.
Sadly they won't sell one to you currently either....I asked just to give it a shot
Old 03-22-22, 04:29 PM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is better about the Lexus hitch vs the curt, not sure I understand the difference and why it matters.
Old 03-22-22, 04:31 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdfish1
What is better about the Lexus hitch vs the curt, not sure I understand the difference and why it matters.
The Lexus hitch is Class IV with a 6500lb capacity while the aftermarket are all Class III with a 5000lb capacity.
Old 03-23-22, 08:30 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

The OEM hitch also sticks out a few inches which keeps careless people scratching up you rear bumper cover when hooking up a UHaul trailer to your GX. If you plan on real towing, not just using it for a bike rack I would get the OEM or equivalent.
Old 03-23-22, 08:33 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
The OEM hitch also sticks out a few inches which keeps careless people scratching up you rear bumper cover when hooking up a UHaul trailer to your GX. If you plan on real towing, not just using it for a bike rack I would get the OEM or equivalent.
Corrected as there is no aftermarket equivalent to the OEM tow hitch available....which sucks!
NewB2Lexus (03-23-22)
Old 04-16-22, 06:07 AM
Zhulik
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to revive on old post but does anyone know when they will start getting these tow hitches back in the dealer, it have just had our 5K service and the service advisor had no clue as to when we can get out tow hitch installed. I dont see the point of getting a CURT hitch when the OEM is better and priced less.
Old 04-16-22, 07:34 AM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zhulik
Hate to revive on old post but does anyone know when they will start getting these tow hitches back in the dealer, it have just had our 5K service and the service advisor had no clue as to when we can get out tow hitch installed. I dont see the point of getting a CURT hitch when the OEM is better and priced less.

Last I heard was possibly May but I wouldn’t count on it.

The Curt is a good option at $130 which is half the price of the OEM.

I needed a hitch so I got the Curt, however, I’ll be swapping it out when the OEM is available.
catdaddylo (04-16-22)
Old 04-18-22, 10:14 AM
gladerider
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Last I heard was possibly May but I wouldn’t count on it.

The Curt is a good option at $130 which is half the price of the OEM.

I needed a hitch so I got the Curt, however, I’ll be swapping it out when the OEM is available.
i was at the dealer over the weekend to get my cross bar installed. while there i asked the parts for an update on the tow hitch. he said the latest update says another month or two until the updated version comes in.
bigbwb (04-18-22)
Old 04-19-22, 08:29 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to order the curt hitch for my 2022 GX, cant wait any longer on the OEM version. I will likely still buy the OEM when it arrives due to the added tongue weight capacity for towing our boat. Its unreal Lexus cant get this out sooner....this is an SUV touted for its towing and other capabilities and one of the main reasons I bought it.
Old 04-20-22, 10:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I had to order the curt hitch for my 2022 GX, cant wait any longer on the OEM version. I will likely still buy the OEM when it arrives due to the added tongue weight capacity for towing our boat. Its unreal Lexus cant get this out sooner....this is an SUV touted for its towing and other capabilities and one of the main reasons I bought it.
No, it's not. There are MANY, MANY other vehicles that are much better at towing due to longer wheelbases, among other factors. A tow rating of only 6500lbs MAX (and only with the right hitch hardware) confirms this is not a towing monster.
NewB2Lexus (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 02:40 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IanB2
No, it's not. There are MANY, MANY other vehicles that are much better at towing due to longer wheelbases, among other factors. A tow rating of only 6500lbs MAX (and only with the right hitch hardware) confirms this is not a towing monster.
I believe he was trying to state that towing is advertised as being a feature of the GX, however, there's no way to do that from the factory currently and there hasn't been for the last 6 months so advertising a towing capacity is bordering on false advertising. At least that's my take on it and also my feeling on the subject.

I was sold a GX with a tow hitch when I put my deposit down. When it made it through the port it no longer had a tow hitch and the dealership had no idea about it until I saw the Monroney and asked them about it.

After they said they didn't have one I found a hitch at their sister dealership, paid for it, and had it shipped to the dealership my GX was coming to...or so I thought. The following day I got a call that they couldn't sell me the hitch as it should have been an inter-dealership transfer instead and refunded me. Then I found out that all of the hitches had to go back to Lexus for "inspection". This was mid-October of 2021 and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Lexus corporate as to what's going on since despite numerous phone calls and emails over the months.

It's complete and utter B.S. that they can't provide a simple hitch when I was told it would be available "shortly" after it was removed from my build by Lexus

The best guess I've received is that the current design rubbed on some of the new trim packages so they're redesigning it. It would have working fine on my trim level but they wouldn't let me purchase one even though it was in the warehouse at a local dealership though.
The following 3 users liked this post by jlficken:
bigbwb (04-21-22), SEELEXUS (04-21-22), TheWeberC (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 06:58 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
i think it’s obvious there are better towing vehicles available, but not my point. My point is Lexus touted the GX as a vehicle designed for towing yet us 2022 owners cannot easily do so.
Old 04-22-22, 04:48 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, unless I was towing over 4000-4500 lbs, I would go with the after market option rated for 5000 and move on. Of course, I say that, bc I don’t tow more than 5000 lbs. I also think the Lexus hitches are ugly, I like more discreet designs.

And, while I don’t know, I suspect the problem with the factory hitch is more than rubbing, it would seem more of a safety issue in my mind but time will tell.

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package