OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22, 04:44 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

“Subject to Change” 🫠 🙈

Originally Posted by TheWeberC
Here's the latest word from Lexus... Take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you for reaching out. We have confirmed the GX tow hitch accessory availability date ETA is mid to late August. Please be advised this is subject to change. Crossing our fingers! 🤞
The following users liked this post:
sirtiger (05-27-22)
Old 05-31-22, 08:53 AM
GX4602018
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 tow hitch

I have a 2018 GX460 without a tow hitch. I’ve called my local Lexus dealership to ask about getting one installed on my vehicle. I was told that they are not installing it anymore due to a recall or something. I want to believe what I’m being told from the parts department of the dealership, but does anyone know if this is accurate?

I tried it on two separate occasions over the spam of several months and both times I was told the same thing.

I‘ve seen newer GX’s with it already on so I’m not sure what the issue is.

thank you
Old 05-31-22, 12:23 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 373 Likes on 208 Posts

A quick search will show this has been discussed at length. Here is an 11 page thread on it https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...w-package.html The current situation on availability is from August 2021 and on.
GX4602018 (05-31-22)
Old 05-31-22, 12:36 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are not planning to tow more than 5000 lb. trailer with a Toung weight of no more than 500 lbs., you can install a Curt Class III hitch. This also has been discussed in the above link. Very easy install and will fit most needs.
GX4602018 (05-31-22)
Old 06-09-22, 09:34 AM
TheWeberC
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Big lolz Lexus...
CCRyder (10-14-22)
Old 10-14-22, 10:02 AM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure wish I could find a hitch rated for the 6500 lb limit.

Last edited by CCRyder; 10-17-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 05:23 PM
CCRyder
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to Big Svensk over in the Marketplace ads, I was able to coerce him to ship me the OEM hitch he has/had for sale.
Will be getting it on THursday. I had another party reply to my “wanted” ad also, with the offer to sell one he has removed.
Just for reference it cost me about $130 to ship the hitch from Minnesota to Mississippi and that is shipping today ( Monday ) with arrival on Thursday - which is probably about the same as shipping halfway across the country.
—-So for anyone else looking to buy a used one, if you get a reasonable price on the hitch like these i am referring to, then you still wont have more in it - ( probably) than a new hitch would have cost —even with shipping included.
—-Thanks to the forum members for the video on installation that I also reviewed, I already removed the old part, and have things prepped to install the OEM hitch when it arrives.
—-Hopefully this will alleviate my borderline over capacity towing issue and provide a more stable and structurally secure scenario for towing my camper trailer. I’d still like to have the bottom line on what the real issue is with this part not being currently available through Lexus or the aftermarket but it is a moot point for me now. Since everyone is so sure there was no recall or class action situation behind them pulling these off the shelf and ceasing to offer them for over the past year and a half…….
I guess i won’t worry about it anymore .

Last edited by CCRyder; 10-17-22 at 06:56 PM.
BigSvensk (10-17-22)
Old 10-18-22, 07:23 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

The trailer hitch issue everyone is experiencing is from the hitch not lining up right...it was a manufacturer mistake. The holes don't line up correctly. Today I'm getting my 4th GX delivered. I pull two boats, a 23' Pathfinder HPS & an Eastcape EVO V skiff 18', so I'm all about towing my toys correctly. I was starting to bang my head on the wall out of frustration like everyone else on here and going through a freak'n act of congress trying to get the Lexus dealer in Atlanta to remove the hitch off another GX they had on the lot (MY21) to my new one I purchased, and they wouldn't do it. My only option was to find another hitch or remove my current Lexus OEM hitch and swap it over to my new GX (which is what's happening). Long story short...I found a brand new OEM Lexus hitch at Toyota dealer and we tried lining it up...it doesn't work. Soooooo, I'd guess that's what the deal is....a whole bunch of hitches that weren't made properly. The Toyota parts man did say he could see where he wasn't supposed to sell it to me, but he agreed to let them hold it up to the frame after I explained all the hooplah that's swirling around on the internet about these hitches. Best bet right now is to find a used one or wait until a replacement is out. He did say he could see a new PN for a hitch (not new info here to anyone).

The following 3 users liked this post by Carnevino:
IanG (10-18-22), Peacebay (10-18-22), SEELEXUS (10-18-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:25 PM
Blight
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update

Tow hitch is going to available November / December according to Lexus on Twitter.
SEELEXUS (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:30 PM
jlficken
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the post but I'll believe it when I can order it

I'm a bit jaded after waiting for over a year now and being told a release month repeatedly only to have it be pushed back over and over.
Blight (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:38 PM
Blight
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlficken
Thanks for the post but I'll believe it when I can order it

I'm a bit jaded after waiting for over a year now and being told a release month repeatedly only to have it be pushed back over and over.
Hopefully we get it before Christmas
Philly01 (10-20-22)
Old 09-28-23, 04:34 PM
ririzarry1
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lah0ri
Hello everyone. I have a 2020 GX 460 that I am installing a used OEM class 4 hitch receiver. Some of the bolts I received from the previous owner have rust on them so I’m deciding to install new bolts completely. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to apply on bolts to prevent rust?
I’m planning on putting some thread locker on these bolts. Any other recommendations?

Did you have to remove a sliver of the lower bumper before installing the tow hitch receiver?
Old 10-28-23, 08:36 AM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi All, I need your opinions today if at all possible.

I'm looking at a 2022 Luxury model to replace my 2016. There's one at a third-party dealership that's ~1 hour away and I have an appointment to drive over there to check it out this afternoon.

This particular model doesn't have a receiver hitch. After all the issues last year, I figured I'd better call my local Lexus parts department to confirm price and availalbility of the Class IV receiver hitch.

When I gave the parts guy the VIN, he said they don't show a hitch in their computer for this particular vehicle. He also said that this particular vehicle might not be set up correctly for the factory hitch and he wasn't comfortable selling me part number PT22860141.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? Can't imagine they built a Luxury model with the Off Road Package that's not set up for towing!

Sounded like BS to me, but when I enter part number PT22860141 and the VIN at LexusPartsNow, it says "Unable to verify part fitment for your vehicle":-/

Thanks for the help,

Steve
Old 10-28-23, 09:51 AM
John00
Racer

Received 368 Likes on 279 Posts

which class you need? for the lower you might be able to get the small one. just need the threaded boss (welded nut) in the back
for high class yeah get the oem position.
the low class also sit lower maybe 2-3 inch

in the back there is an adapter piece that has 4 bolts where the hitch should go. these are big bolts, 2 on bottom and 2 at rear. this is the oem config i know of
if you just need to pull a small cart or haul bikes etc, a basket, then the low class hitch might be better anyways

Old 10-28-23, 10:39 AM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
which class you need? for the lower you might be able to get the small one. just need the threaded boss (welded nut) in the back
for high class yeah get the oem position.
the low class also sit lower maybe 2-3 inch

in the back there is an adapter piece that has 4 bolts where the hitch should go. these are big bolts, 2 on bottom and 2 at rear. this is the oem config i know of
if you just need to pull a small cart or haul bikes etc, a basket, then the low class hitch might be better anyways
Thanks for the prompt response. I definitely want the factory Class IV setup. I'm not really interested in the aftermarket 5,000 lb varieties, although they would tow my boat just fine.

This sub-assembly 51908-WY010 was discussed in the other long hitch thread. LexusPartsNow says it fits the VIN I'm looking at, so maybe I'll need to add this as well? Not cheap!

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package