GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 12:15 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**

Has anyone heard of a company called Mobileye? Neither had I until a few weeks ago when I did a random "yeah right” search on aftermarket Lane Departure/Pre-collision systems. I used the term "yeah right" because I expected Google to turn up either zero results or a handful of links for products that tried but failed miserably, similar to all the failed attempts at offering an aftermarket blind spot monitoring product. What I didn’t expect to find is a company with a proven product.

The next couple of weeks were spent researching the company and the Mobileye 560. I read everything I could get my hands on and watched countless Youtube videos. There’s even a video review from Consumer Reports which proved very useful. Needless to say, I was very interested and downloaded the list of certified installers in my area. There was only one for my state. After explaining to the shop owner my uneasiness with the install, especially on a brand new 14 GX, he suggested that I meet directly with the Mobileye regional representative and setup a meeting for today at 10am.

The rep admitted that an install had not been done on a 14 GX, only 13 and older. He knew this because codes for the 14 GX was not in the Mobileye vehicular database. He requested permission to pull codes from my vehicle to see if they were the same as the 13 GX. If so, great! If not, the vehicle codes would be sent to Mobileye engineers who would build a vehicle profile which would take a while with coding, testing, etc. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the codes for the 14 and 13 GX were an exact match. After answering ALL of my questions and demo'ing all the features of the Mobileye 560 in his personal vehicle, I gave the green light to proceed.

Features of the Mobileye 560
  • Daylight Pedestrian Collision Warning, including Bicycle Detection
  • Forward Collision Warning, both in Highway and Urban areas, including Motorcycle Detection
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Headway Monitoring and Warning
  • Intelligent High-Beam Control
  • Traffic Sign (Speed) Recognition & Warning

Quick tidbits -
  • The Mobileye 560 is passive and not active. What this means is that the unit doesn't tell your vehicle what to do but instead receives input on what the vehicle IS doing. For example...excessive speed, changing lanes without signaling, swerving, approaching too fast, etc.
  • I also learned that the same Mobileye unit is used by BMW, Ford, Lincoln, Porsche, Tesla, and many other car manufactures as an OEM product..
  • Installation of the Mobileye 560 does not void vehicle warranty.
  • Self-installation voids the product warranty.
  • Unit can be removed and installed in another vehicle but requires professional uninstall/install. Apparently there are proprietary software, calibration tools, etc. that are only made available to certified installers.

For all those who will inevitably comment on the usefulness of the product let me be the first to say......It's not a NEED, but instead a WANT! I didn't want to pay an extra $3K+ for the Drivers Support package when there's only one or two additional features in the package that are of interest to me. Besides, I LOVE trying new technology!

Hopefully the follow-up review that I will hopefully post tonight will be positive......fingers crossed! If not,

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-04-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 01:49 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about some pictures?
Old 03-04-14, 04:35 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

No complaints with the install or Mobileye 560. Both exceeded my expectations.

Sorry for the sideways pictures. The alert unit was installed in upper left corner of windshield and camera installed behind rearview mirror. Part of the camera can be seen below the mirror.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-05-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 05:34 AM
Paddyspub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like it would be useful, but after watching a couple youtube vides about this product it seems like all you would hear is constant "beeps" for everything that it is monitoring. Since installing what has been your experience with these alerts? Also, you have the monitor in the upper left hand corner of the windshield and in the vids I saw it was mounted on the dash. Do you think it makes a difference to have to look at the left hand corner of your windshield when you hear an alert or do you think if you hear an alert you will just be on the lookout for what it might be out in front of you?
Old 03-05-14, 08:14 AM
shane4x4
Driver School Candidate

Do you know if you can disable some/all of the warnings so it only alerts you to the things you want?
Old 03-05-14, 10:12 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Paddyspub
That looks like it would be useful, but after watching a couple youtube vides about this product it seems like all you would hear is constant "beeps" for everything that it is monitoring.
This is no different from how the same features work in most vehicles that only does "Passive" monitoring. For instance, I used to own a 2012 535xi BMW GT and whenever I switched lanes without signaling, the steering wheel would vibrate. Blind Spot Monitoring worked by flashing a triangle symbol (no beep) in the respective side mirror whenever another vehicle was in the blind spot. Another example of passive monitoring is my wife's 2014 JGC Summit. A warning symbol in the respective side mirror will flash whenever a vehicle is in the blind spot. Unlike my BMW, if you insist on switching lanes despite the blind spot warning symbol, the warning symbol will be accompanied by an audible alert. Although there are vehicles that perform "Active" monitoring which means the monitoring system can intervene to depress brakes, etc, most do not. Most vehicles do exactly what Mobileye 560 does which is flash a warning symbol and provide audible alerts.

Taken from Lexus Website
Available Lane Departure Alert[*] uses a camera to monitor visible lane markings, and it is designed to warn you if you are drifting so that you can steer back into the lane.

Since installing what has been your experience with these alerts?
Ha! I didn't realize I had the tendency to follow too closely until yesterday. Of course distance and sensitivity can be adjusted. Even if I was a perfect driver, it's hard to account for the car ahead. Yesterday while driving home there were two instances where a car abruptly slammed on brakes and a motorcycle zoomed in front of me. Even though I was aware, the unit alerted me both times.

Also, you have the monitor in the upper left hand corner of the windshield and in the vids I saw it was mounted on the dash. Do you think it makes a difference to have to look at the left hand corner of your windshield when you hear an alert or do you think if you hear an alert you will just be on the lookout for what it might be out in front of you?
I chose the upper left hand corner for aesthetics only. However, I find it very useful to have the alerts in my peripheral as opposed to a permanent fixture in the middle of the dash. Secondly, the alert unit is somewhat concealed as opposed to looking like an aftermarket product that someone can ****** and grab.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-05-14 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 10:13 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by shane4x4
Do you know if you can disable some/all of the warnings so it only alerts you to the things you want?
Yes and you can adjust the volume.
Old 03-05-14, 10:44 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Additional pics
Attached Thumbnails My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**-forumrunner_20140305_124352.png   My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**-forumrunner_20140305_124402.png  
Old 03-05-14, 01:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

whoa that's actually really cool
Old 03-05-14, 02:09 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

The oversized sideways pictures were annoying the heck outta me so here are corrected smaller pics.
Attached Thumbnails My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**-img_20140305_160249.jpg   My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**-img_20140305_160321.jpg  
Old 03-05-14, 03:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this is a great device and looks like what the auto manufacturers are using.
Does this connect via blu tooth to the navigation system screen? I see an image there above.

Is there a way to integrate side view cameras? I am waiting for the day they eliminate the useless sideview mirrors and replace them with cameras - i think tesla has it coming on its suv later this year. Honda is one of few with cameras but its only on passenger side.

these smart eye systems are just the beginning of things to come
Old 03-05-14, 03:20 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by T4Fun
this is a great device and looks like what the auto manufacturers are using.
Does this connect via blu tooth to the navigation system screen? I see an image there above.
No but it can connect via Bluetooth with your smartphone. Your smartphone will mimic the graphics displayed on the alert unit plus do a lot more such as digital speed, graphical speed signs, visual speeding alerts, driving statistics, etc.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 03-05-14 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 06:26 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Driver's Support Package.

I have the Driver's Support package and have all of these things and then some. You have not posted your cost with install as of yet. I can tell you I have truly enjoyed the side and front view cameras off roading so far. They have paid for themselves already. The crawl control is neat, however not something that is used everyday by a longshot. The PCS has been really neat though. Lets me know exactly when I am too close when changing lanes. Has definitely improved our driving. The LDA has been wonderful on over night drives, and the radar cruise is priceless on those drives as well.

I understand the package is a pain in the *** to get, and you would have to order like I did, however I'm glad I did and would do it again in a heart beat.

Randy B
Old 03-05-14, 07:09 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Randy B
I have the Driver's Support package and have all of these things and then some. You have not posted your cost with install as of yet. I can tell you I have truly enjoyed the side and front view cameras off roading so far. They have paid for themselves already. The crawl control is neat, however not something that is used everyday by a longshot. The PCS has been really neat though. Lets me know exactly when I am too close when changing lanes. Has definitely improved our driving. The LDA has been wonderful on over night drives, and the radar cruise is priceless on those drives as well.

I understand the package is a pain in the *** to get, and you would have to order like I did, however I'm glad I did and would do it again in a heart beat.

Randy B
I wasn't willing to incur the extra cost for a package just to get two desired features. I had those features (minus crawl support of course) in my BMW and before that Acura and before that Mercedes and like you, found them useful.

Cost of Mobileye 560 = $849
Cost of install = $200
Old 03-07-14, 02:44 AM
jsanders
Driver

so amazing, thank you for sharing!

Quick Reply: My first MAJOR mod **LONG READ**