GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dated Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 03:33 PM
Paddyspub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dated Interior?

I have read several reviews of the 2014 GX and invariably they mention a "dated" interior. Does anybody think the interior is dated? I certainly don't think this but I find it intriguing that these reviewers have said this. Mi feel like the interior is rich and refined and very modern. Am I missing something. Maybe I have a skewed opinion because this will be my first Lexus. Perhaps the reviews are from a Lexus-centric viewpoint and the interior is dated or tired by Lexus standards. Just curious.
Old 03-07-14, 03:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddyspub
I have read several reviews of the 2014 GX and invariably they mention a "dated" interior. Does anybody think the interior is dated? I certainly don't think this but I find it intriguing that these reviewers have said this. Mi feel like the interior is rich and refined and very modern. Am I missing something. Maybe I have a skewed opinion because this will be my first Lexus. Perhaps the reviews are from a Lexus-centric viewpoint and the interior is dated or tired by Lexus standards. Just curious.
When I first saw the dash there was something about it that did not appeal to me. I think it is the center configuration, mainly the upper air vents and I have a thing about silver paint. Flat screens and other electronics went through a silver phase and when I see it now it reminds me of outdated electronics (probably just me).

Last edited by tecman; 03-07-14 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-07-14, 03:51 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

No, I don't feel it's dated, but they could have added auto folding mirrors and also show tire pressures on the display like my LS 460. It's pretty much the same interior as my 2010 GX 460 Premium, but I don't feel it's dated.

Last edited by Craig B; 03-08-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 03:57 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the info cluster needs to be overhauled. That LCD screen between the speedometer and tach needs to be a computer screen basically like newer cars with more information on it. Lexus has always been behind the technology curve imho. The navi screen should also be a removable pad based computer like Ipad or samsung. As far as everything else, i think it looks fine.
Old 03-07-14, 04:03 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To me the interior is extremely nice - not dated. I just bought a 2014.5 Camry XLE and it seems Toyota has pulled some of the interior design cues from Lexus - especially the center stack. I know Camrys are not fashion forward, but the design is still fresh, and here's the great part - it is well constructed.
Old 03-08-14, 06:03 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

I really like the interior on my '13. The best thing for me is the "outdated" touch screen. When I try to use the "joystick" my Dad's new Benz ML350 or my friends X5 it is just way too time consuming and complicated. I know a lot of the Lexus vehicles have similar set ups and it is the way of the future but I still like the ease of use of the touch screen. Wife is getting ready to trade in her Benz - mist likely on an RX so I will have to get used to it, I know. But for me the GX is just right. Other than the well known knee to the audio **** issue and the lack of a place to just lay down small objects where they won't slide around (just a little ribbed tray somewhere would be nice) I like every thing about it. One last thing, I would redesign the center console to have two separate levels with two separate lids - like the Sequoia and 4runner.
Old 03-08-14, 11:16 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Car reviewers are so ridiculous. The interior is "dated" to them because it's the same as the 2010+ but it's a great interior IMO and it's so usable. Agreeing with the earlier post too, I hate this joystick stuff. Lexus' screen is such a great system!
Old 03-08-14, 11:23 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think when car reviewers call the interior dated, they are really speaking about the gauge cluster and center stack area. To that end I say if Lexus was going for the utilitarian look/feel, they accomplished their goal in spades. However, most Luxury SUV manufacturers offer a more refined and sleek dash with a software-based gauge cluster. In it's current configuration I've found a few things lacking such as navigation next turn direction in cluster, tire pressure reading in cluster, entertainment information in cluster, and other "quick view" information that would be helpful. With that said, I wouldn't say the interior is dated but would say the technology is definitely dated. All the things Lexus are known for aside, when comparing the "technology" in the 14 GX to the technology in my wife's 14 JGC Summit, there's no comparison.
Old 03-09-14, 08:47 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

TO me it's very dated, but I couldn't care less. I want the basic controls within reach. Other than the driving controls, I want volume and track seek and that's about it.