GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 series

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 11:05 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked on the net, but I cannot without doubt see if the Prado is marketed in the US. Except for the Lexus GX, is it marketed under a another guise? Here it was a cult and to a certain degree still is. In a certain sense it is a vehicle in it's own class (nowadays outsold by the cheaper Toyota Fortuner). The Prado is very, very luxurious and yet a hard core pukka off-roader, in which you can really drive through Africa.

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-02-14 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 12:10 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I checked on the net, but I cannot without doubt see if the Prado is marketed in the US. Except for the Lexus GX, is it marketed under a another guise? Here it was a cult and to a certain degree still is. In a certain sense it is a vehicle in it's own class (nowadays outsold by the cheaper Toyota Fortuner). The Prado is very, very luxurious and yet a hard core pukka off-roader, in which you can really drive through Africa.
No, no other form of Prado is sold here other than the GX. The 4Runner is sold here which shares a platform, but that's it.
Old 05-02-14, 01:25 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is with the Prado, its high quality, but apart from that you get off-road hardware in it that is mostly optional in a lot of vehicles that is the same price and not nearly as capable in the bush. On the downside it is not particularly roomy inside and the previous Diesel engine, namely the KZ-TE was lazy and a Diesel gussler of note. Nowadays with the D-4D engine its much better. In my mind a good buy. The Fortuner is of course a much more basic vehicle and actually an on chassis SUV of the Hilux pick-up truck (the one that Jeremy Clarkson tried to destroy on British Top Gear, but failed). It however outsells even VW and Toyota hatchbacks here. Strangely, but maybe because of the RHD it is only available in South Africa, Malaysia, Malta etc. But, yes, it sort of dented the Prado cult here. Those pics you guys have here, is surely going to make me find an excuse to pop into the dealer's to check it out if it comes in.
Old 05-06-14, 08:55 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

did they add speed sensitive steering to the 2014 GX yet? Nowhere do i see any mention of this, even on 2010+ versions
Old 05-13-14, 02:28 PM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
why we didnt get that nice information cluster like prado? i havent a clue. Maybe on 2016 gx? I could of used that locking rear diff when my gx got stuck in snow.
FYI - a locking diff will not help you get out of the snow. You need a tire with traction for locked diff to get you anywhere. If anything, a locked diff will dig you deeper.

Guys, we all have locking diffs, to an extent. The ATRAC system is a smart locker and engages when needed while in 4low, negating the need to press a button or turn on a compressor.
Old 05-13-14, 02:59 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawShank
FYI - a locking diff will not help you get out of the snow. You need a tire with traction for locked diff to get you anywhere. If anything, a locked diff will dig you deeper.

Guys, we all have locking diffs, to an extent. The ATRAC system is a smart locker and engages when needed while in 4low, negating the need to press a button or turn on a compressor.
So, you're telling us a locking diff "will not help you get out of the snow"? Are you sure about that? 2 tires spinning with open diffs vs. 4 tires spinning with locked diffs will not help in the snow? Sorry, but with dealing with snow and driving many different vehicles with open diffs and locked diffs I'll take a locked diff any day over open in the snow, mud or sand. Yes, I agree a good tire will always have a lot to do with it but 4 tires pulling you out will be much better in most situations.
Old 05-13-14, 06:06 PM
MyGX460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried it put in the lock diff and got out of 14inches of snow like knife on butter.
Old 05-13-14, 08:22 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thread, interesting read. Thanks for the Crash Videos, I definitely feel safer driving around my new born in the new GX. The GX was purchased as the new FAM Bam Mobile when the little one was born.
Old 05-14-14, 11:55 AM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
So, you're telling us a locking diff "will not help you get out of the snow"? Are you sure about that? 2 tires spinning with open diffs vs. 4 tires spinning with locked diffs will not help in the snow? Sorry, but with dealing with snow and driving many different vehicles with open diffs and locked diffs I'll take a locked diff any day over open in the snow, mud or sand. Yes, I agree a good tire will always have a lot to do with it but 4 tires pulling you out will be much better in most situations.
Yes, I'm sure about that. I'd rather not get into a debate, I was simply offering up some advice, we can agree to disagree. Our trucks are full time 4wd. At no point will you have just 2 wheels getting power to them. Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin. Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
Old 05-14-14, 12:13 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I'm sure about that. I'd rather not get into a debate, I was simply offering up some advice, we can agree to disagree. Our trucks are full time 4wd. At no point will you have just 2 wheels getting power to them. Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin. Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
Ok, I agree, to disagree.

That's what it's all about, we in America can have different Ideas and be able to voice them.
Old 05-14-14, 12:58 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin.
I know you mentioned you do not want to get into the debate but the above statement is incorrect when applied to the GX with TORSEN T3 center differential.

Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
Not trying to nitpick here but for all wheels to turn at the same rate you need three differentials locked -- rear, front and center. Just locking front and rear diffs won't result in each wheel turning at the same rate because the center will remain open.
Old 05-24-14, 08:00 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Default Prado rock crawling

Was browsing the internet and thought it's a pretty cool video

Old 05-24-14, 08:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 585 Posts

Nice find, love it!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-14, 10:07 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice video! Looks stock other than the rock sliders and front bumper for extra clearance. Very cool.
Old 02-09-15, 03:09 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Default Prado in Africa

The youtube video seems to be blocked for most members so I've removed the link as it effectively not working.

Last edited by Quadro; 02-09-15 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 series