GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 03:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts
Default What is this window tint?

Interesting... How is this done? Is it possible to fit two windows along with the needed mechanisms in the door?

Last edited by tecman; 04-23-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 07:30 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Tecman,

I don't read Russian, but according to their website, it looks like a customization where there's 2 separate pieces of glass in place of 1, one tinted and the other not tinted. I'm going to guess both pieces are very thin. Here's a better video.

http://kik-tuning.ru/services/avtoma...olkswagen-polo
Old 04-23-15, 08:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 11GX460
Tecman,

I don't read Russian, but according to their website, it looks like a customization where there's 2 separate pieces of glass in place of 1, one tinted and the other not tinted. I'm going to guess both pieces are very thin. Here's a better video.

http://kik-tuning.ru/services/avtoma...olkswagen-polo
I agree, that really does look like 2 pieces of glass. It is a better quality video than the GX I posted.

Last edited by tecman; 01-10-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 09:15 AM
mellowjd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Matching the factory GX tint up front

Would like to get the front windows tinted on our new GX. Anything I should know about the best tint?

Does the Lexus dealer tint match or should I be looking at another tint provider? I do know the fronts will not be as dark, but I just want the same stuff that Lexus uses at the factory.
Old 03-04-16, 06:24 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

The tint you see on the rear of your GX is not a film. It is an infused pigmentation in the glass. I have (looking at my receipt) "Nano Ceramic Tech Plus Film"
This is the best I could get at the reputable shop. The benefit of this tint is that it blocks the sun heat and UV. My tint is the max legally allowed and is lighter than the rear. I know Florida is more lenient with tint restrictions so I am guessing Texas is the same?
Old 12-30-16, 03:20 AM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I need a 2nd opinion from Tint Experts please.

Recently I had to get a used base model Niissan Versa for "business purposes" and tinted the windows at 30%. Exterior is silver with light beige interior. It had no previous tint. Now I always get 30% tint on my "personal cars" and I only get gray colored cars with black or dark interiors and it just seems a perfect contrast with this combination. But on this Nissan Versa, the tint doesnt seem dark enough(due to its exterior and very light interior colors). The tint shop offered to put another layer of tint to make it darker after they noticed my concern with the windows not being dark enough without any additional charge since I'm a repeat customer.
I have full trust in this tint shop(very reputable shop, I've done tints on 5 of my vehicles & clear bra on 3 of my vehicles in the past) and have always been 100% happy with this shop and their excellent customer service and price range.
I questioned layering tint over tint but they assured me as long as its not another brand of film or installer, they would have no problem with the layering process since they'll be using the same brand(llumar) & installed at the same shop.
Now I feel guilty asking for a 2nd opinion from you guys regarding layering tints since this is a shop I fully trust and have always been satisfied with their previous work on my vehicles. Also I do not want to ask them to peel off the current film and put a darker one since it was my request to do the 30% and they are willing to make me happy without further charges for the additional labor.
Although this is a used Nissan Versa, I still would like to make it look nice.
Any thoughts on the layering process guys?
Old 12-30-16, 07:33 AM
Surfishing
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice of the shop to offer to correct. I would see if the shop has the tool to verify the current tint on your Versa.

That way you'll both know for a fact the baseline % you'll be at before adding an additional layer. Would you be present while they add the next layer? If so see if they could show you on one small window what the final result will be, before applying across the board.
Old 12-30-16, 12:24 PM
sashi
Rookie

They do have the tool Surfishing. Before I had my GX tinted a few weeks ago, they showed me the % measurement of the privacy glass at 21% & then brought out a small sample of llumar air blue 80 and put it over the privacy glass for a measure of 16%.... I'm not worried about the outcome % of my Nissan but more worried about whether layering is ok to do(if its done with same brand of film & installer) and also if layering would cause any distortions or bubbles.....Llumar does have a lifetime warranty though......
Old 12-30-16, 12:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

It is a reputable shop and you have a lifetime warranty so why not. I think that tint may bond to tint better than glass so layering wouldn't be a problem Also you have double heat and UV protection if it actually makes a difference.
Old 12-30-16, 01:37 PM
sashi
Rookie

You're right Tecman, I think I'm over-thinking this situation........ -_-;
Old 01-01-17, 04:59 PM
BigRick82
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do it
Old 05-31-17, 10:46 AM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Replaced all the yellow/halogen interior and running board bulbs with Philips Vision LEDs over the weekend. Looks MUCH better now, but not quite as bright as I was expecting.

I'm OK with not so bright on the visor lights and the running boards, but was hoping for a little brighter on the dome/map lights. Oh well, it'll do for now.

Front windows were never tinted, so I'm getting those done (hopefully) tomorrow. 18% front with a layer of 35% or 50% (whatever matches the front better) over the factory tint in the back. I've always used a shop that does 3M tint, but I'm considering trying out the FormulaOne Pinnacle tint. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and the nano-ceramic properties claim to offer higher levels of heat reduction than the 3M stuff. We'll see. I'll throw up pics once it's done.
I have F1 Pinnacle tint on the front side windows. 30% if I recall, it matches the rear side windows nicely but not 100% matching. Legally, we can't tint the front side windows too dark.
Attached Thumbnails Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns-a57d993f-2b2b-46c5-9b12-2e2f7951361b.jpg  
Old 05-31-17, 10:48 AM
kazter011
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

New ride

Digging those F Sport Rims!
Old 11-01-17, 11:15 AM
JMan604
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Suntek CXP 5% tint installed all around and 70% for the driver/passenger side. Next is to get the 3M clear bra installed.
Old 01-10-18, 04:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Ran across this video today. Still amazed with finding the room in the door to do this.

Quick Reply: Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns