GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 08:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Factory tint and tinted windows

I’m thinking of getting the front windows tinted. Any one knows what’s the percentage of the rear factory tint? I’m thinking of matching it but wonder if it is too dark to be legal.
For those that have the windows tinted, what did you go with?
Old 04-28-18, 08:50 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Here are national laws....seems to be vague on CA though. It appears my rears have even darker than factory tint on rears.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/glass-window-tinting/
Old 04-28-18, 09:05 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I’m thinking of getting the front windows tinted. Any one knows what’s the percentage of the rear factory tint? I’m thinking of matching it but wonder if it is too dark to be legal.
For those that have the windows tinted, what did you go with?
Back is close to 18-20%.

I have 15% ceramic on the front and 80% ceramic on the front windshield and sunroof and 30% on top of the factory in the back. The front windshield looks very clear to everyone and is almost unnoticeable. It does get a little difficult to see out of when it’s raining or foggy at night... good thing the blind spot monitoring is there.

I’ve heard that the back isn’t tinted with heat rejection from the factory. It’s more of a dyed substance within the window for privacy.

You will most likely be illegal everywhere with tinted front side windows. Depends on the police and how upset they are that specific day. Does your state have yearly inspections besides emissions? You might not pass due to tints, but there are always ways around that.

Look for brands like Llumar, formula 1, 3m color stable or crystalline, hyper optik.

Your prices are going to vary depending on your location and amount of tint shops. The price will probably be a little more than a Toyota due to the “luxury tax”. Shops always ask the make and model of the vehicle for quotes.

There are different kinds of tint (from cheapest to most expensive... also happens to be less heat rejecting to most heat rejecting).
Dyed
Metallic
ceramic

You can get a lighter ceramic tint that rejects as much heat as a darker dyed or metallic tint.

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 04-28-18 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ObsidianBl:
Acrad (04-29-18), bbqsoup (05-03-18)
Old 04-29-18, 07:22 AM
Erikjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are wanting the driver and front passenger side windows to “match” the rear windows when looking at the car from the outside, you will likely want/need the driver and front passenger side windows to be a darker tint than the rear windows due to the amount of light the windshield lets in; unless you want to tint the front windshield. I had the tint shop hold up sheets of different levels of tint with the truck outside their shop on a sunny day while I looked from various angles, wasnt an exact science but gave me a good estimate of the darkness due to the light entering from the windshield. For a variety of reasons I didn’t want to tint the front windshield.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 04:48 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks all for the input. I pondered over this for a few days and decided not to tint the front. The auto dimmed side mirrors are pretty dark at night and I'm afraid tinting the windows will make it very hard to see.
Old 05-04-18, 06:43 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just remember that tinting the rear window will cause the auto-dimming rear view (and side view) mirrors to no longer function.
At least in my case...
Old 05-04-18, 08:56 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I had ceramic done - clear - on the front D&P sides. In PA, while inspection wouldn't be an issue I didn't want to get stopped by a Trooper because of having them tinted beyond what PA allows. And that is ZERO. The ceramic does help with heat, however, so am happy with that choice. If your the tint shop is reputable they will tell you what and what not to do in order to avoid any law enforcement issues. While I would have loved a darker tint on the D&P fronts it wasn't worth the potential problems and having to get the tine stripped off to respond to a ticket.
Old 05-05-18, 09:29 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

rear windows are 20% tint, i just tinted my GX this past Monday, i put 35% ceramic tint on the front D&P windows and i put 20% ceramic over the factory windows in the back and trunk window. The back windows do look dark, 20% over stock 20% make it really dark to see from the outside, but 35%s are good. Also someone said that blind spot and the rearview mirror won't work - lie, dimming and blind spot monitor are working perfectly fine and ceramic tint does keep the car cool, but make sure to go over the state laws first, tint tickets are expensive. However if you dont really care about privacy that much, but looking for glare reduction from the lights and other vehicles at night as well as leather protection and heat reduction - go with 70% ceramic tint, it is clear, you can't really tell if you have it with a naked eye and it works great to keep the inside of the car cool.

can add pictures if you're interested how the look from the outside, lmk.
Old 05-05-18, 10:24 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Also someone said that blind spot and the rearview mirror won't work - lie, dimming and blind spot monitor are working perfectly fine...
Lie???
Not at all.... I said “In my case...”, which was confirmed/noted by my service advisor. You don’t know what kind of tint I have.... it’s a very dark film on the back and looks great, but no headlights are bright enough now to trip the auto-dimmer.
Oh, and I never said anything about Blind Spot Montoring... that has nothing to do with it, and works just fine.

What works for you under different circumstances, may not work for all tints/conditions, etc.
Get your facts straight before you call someone a liar.
Old 06-29-18, 06:26 AM
goodtogo
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Vinyl wrapped, tinted, lifted, skid plated, lighted, and fairy dusted.

Old 03-10-19, 10:13 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I just picked up this 2019 w/ Sepia interior and drove it home 800 miles from the dealer. I owned a pre-owned 2013 for 2 days from Carmax before returning it and going new. Also, I sold a 2015 Jeep SRT to move into this. Other than being slower, everything else on the GX seems to be of better quality and I have no regrets with selling the Jeep.

The first thing I had done the day after purchase was add the OEM Sepia All-weather liners at the seats and cargo area and get the windows tinted 18% on the front 2 windows and 55% on the windshield. Will probably add some 80% on the rear windows to just get some added UV protection without adding darkness. As far as other mods go, I have a Prinsu rack in the garage waiting to be installed this week and am currently debating what wheels to go with. I will be putting on a 2.5" lift and plan to go with a tire in the 32.5" range. MTS module is also on order...

Old 03-13-19, 11:14 AM
12thManGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint

Hi Guys,

Getting ready to tint the windows, the GX has so much window coverage that the factory tint (20%) on the rear does not do much in the way of sun deflection or privacy.
I was thinking of doing 35% on rear passenger and trunk which would being down to 3% visibility rating and 5% in the front (closest match)

Has anyone ever done this?

Easiest option is to do 20% match in the front only, but I am not sure it would achieve my goal.

Any photos would be great also....

Old 03-17-19, 06:13 PM
elkaboing
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
I just picked up this 2019 w/ Sepia interior and drove it home 800 miles from the dealer. I owned a pre-owned 2013 for 2 days from Carmax before returning it and going new. Also, I sold a 2015 Jeep SRT to move into this. Other than being slower, everything else on the GX seems to be of better quality and I have no regrets with selling the Jeep.

The first thing I had done the day after purchase was add the OEM Sepia All-weather liners at the seats and cargo area and get the windows tinted 18% on the front 2 windows and 55% on the windshield. Will probably add some 80% on the rear windows to just get some added UV protection without adding darkness. As far as other mods go, I have a Prinsu rack in the garage waiting to be installed this week and am currently debating what wheels to go with. I will be putting on a 2.5" lift and plan to go with a tire in the 32.5" range. MTS module is also on order...

Looks really good - as mentioned earlier, do you have any problems seeing the side view mirrors at night when they auto dim? I really like the front/back match look.
Old 03-17-19, 08:00 PM
oksir83
Driver

Originally Posted by elkaboing

Looks really good - as mentioned earlier, do you have any problems seeing the side view mirrors at night when they auto dim? I really like the front/back match look.
Thanks...and also, no issues at all for me. A lot of it may be personal preference though and the quality of one's own vision. I've had this same Suntek CXP set-up on a few other vehicles and have never had any issues at night or in the rain. I will say that I definitely wouldn't want to go any darker on the front windows. This seems to be the perfect balance. If you're still a little hesitant on the 18%, Suntek does make a 25%, which is going to be slightly lighter, but not as light as say a 35%.
The following users liked this post:
elkaboing (03-17-19)
Old 03-27-19, 08:50 AM
oksir83
Driver

FWIW, I had a shop meter the rear windows on a 2019 and they are 24%.

Quick Reply: Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns